Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Box Hedge Caterpillars

(13 Posts)
GrannyIvy Sat 13-Apr-24 08:22:15

Does anyone have lots of small caterpillars? I noticed my daughter has caterpillars all over her front door, up the house wall and on further inspection they appear to be emerging from the box hedge which now appears dry and dead. I have purchased a pesticide spray from the local garden centre that states it will get rid of several various bugs including caterpillars. 🐛 After two applications they are still crawling everywhere. We are completely freaked out at how many there are. Any advice or help gratefully received

Jaxjacky Sat 13-Apr-24 08:35:40

Box hedge moth, it’s been rife across Europe and now here. You need to treat at the moth stage, you can Google the specific treatment, but it may be too late now.

TinSoldier Sat 13-Apr-24 08:36:49

These are a recurrent pest. About five years ago, my one box was decimated by them. Pesticides kill beneficial insects so I won’t use them. I cut the plant back hard and it did show some weak shoots but the caterpillars returned so I took the shrub out. The caterpillars have destroyed a couple of neighbours’ low hedges. I think the only remedy is to remove the plants and replace them with something else or you’ll be fighting a losing battle.

Joseann Sat 13-Apr-24 08:39:49

Monty has a lot of advice on this. He has been removing his.

GrannyIvy Sat 13-Apr-24 08:44:45

Thank you the hedge looks dead, my daughter isn’t a gardener and didn’t notice a problem until too late. It will need to be dug up. As she rents the property she will need to speak to the landlord. I have never seen so many caterpillars in a small area!!! They are dangling down around the front door and impossible to get in the house caterpillar free😵‍💫

GrannyIvy Sat 13-Apr-24 08:45:58

Thank you Joseann I will check out Monty

Esmay Sat 13-Apr-24 08:53:44

I haven't read it , but I think that you can't beat Monty's advice .

One warning about moths - their scales can cause extreme irritation in the eye .
When dealing with them - wear goggles and keep any grandchildren away .

NanTheWiser Sat 13-Apr-24 17:48:15

GrannyIvy, normal bug killers don’t work on Box moth caterpillars, the only effective treatment is Xentari, which is quite expensive (and available on Amazon) but it would appear that her Box is dead, so maybe not worth the expense. Box moths are a huge pest now, and maybe not a good idea to plant Box in the future.

lixy Sat 13-Apr-24 17:54:14

squash them! (wearing gloves and safety specs) The little so and so's can munch through a box hedge in a mater of days.
They like to drop down into the leaf litter below the hedge too so keep that as clear as you can.
Their population really seemed to explode around here last Summer and box hedges everywhere are looking very sorry for themselves. If you catch it in time then the plant can regenerate, so don't despair.

GrannyIvy Sat 13-Apr-24 21:35:43

The hedge is definitely dead but the caterpillars are a pain crawling all around but less today after three blitz treatments of a pesticide on the hedge. I know it’s not good using this stuff but the caterpillar invasion is so massive and they are being brought into the house as all around the front door!!

Joseann Sat 13-Apr-24 23:10:44

Where do you live GrannyIvy? Roughly.
I only ask because they are usually more common in London and surrounding areas. I hope the pesticide blitzing works.

GrannyIvy Sun 14-Apr-24 08:13:37

Cambridgeshire. Fingers crossed for a caterpillar free zone today😂 Sadly the hedge is lost.

Visgir1 Sun 14-Apr-24 08:22:23

I lots all my Box.. I had a beauty big round Ball I had looked after for years, completely decimated, sprays /drenching didn't work.