Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

New glasses don't fit

(21 Posts)
Mazgg Wed 10-Apr-24 11:14:42

I recently got new 'indoor' glasses and although I am very pleased with the lenses the frames don't fit and keep slipping.
I got new distance glasses at Christmas from the same optician and they fit perfectly. When choosing the latest frames I sat at a table in the optician's and the assistant brought a selection of 5 or 6 frames which I tried on and chose the ones with a large area to accommodate the variation in the lenses. I assumed she had picked out ones that would fit my face. On comparing the numbers on both pairs of glasses the new ones are considerably bigger.
My concern is that although the assistant has adjusted them they still don't fit and I am to see a technician on Friday. If he can't make them fit comfortably I wonder if I would be right to insist that they refund or replace with something more suitable. My feeling is that I have been sold something that isn't fit for purpose.

Sparklefizz Wed 10-Apr-24 11:16:48

I pushed for a refund from Boots when I had some new glasses which I just couldn't see through. Obviously they had got the lens prescription wrong. They weren't keen to refund but eventually they did.

Astitchintime Wed 10-Apr-24 11:17:38

Refunding or replacing for might depend on your circumstances.....ie I have an Eyeplan and would be eligible for refund or replace if the frames/lens were found to be faulty-incorrect etc

Theexwife Wed 10-Apr-24 11:26:50

Look at their refund policy on the website before you go to the appointment.

If you cannot return them, although I am sure you will be able to, you can buy a kit from Amazon that has many anti slip devices in it.

Imarocker Wed 10-Apr-24 11:58:40

I once had glasses that didn’t fit properly and after 3 goes at adjusting them, I wrote a letter to the optician enclosing the glasses and told him I wanted my money back. Then I discovered several people in the extended family had all had the same issue.

keepingquiet Wed 10-Apr-24 12:17:03

Keep going back until you're happy with the fit or ask for a refund. It worked for me.

OurKid1 Wed 10-Apr-24 16:39:30

I would definitely go back. I've worn glasses since I was 5 and, due to my extremely high prescription, I have had problems with comfort at times - it's horrible as you can't choose not to wear them like you would with clothes. I'd recommend sprung side pieces - I've had them for the past 3 pairs and never had a problem; also those wobbly nose pieces are more comfortable (for me at least) than solid ones.

OurKid1 Wed 10-Apr-24 16:41:34

PS I have varifocals and, on the advice of the optician, chose the smallest (therefore lightest) ones which could accommodate my prescription. Might be worth asking, rather than going with larger ones ... Good luck.

Visgir1 Wed 10-Apr-24 17:40:33

I took back prescription sunglasses last summer to my Opticians as the bridge scratch my nose when I put them on. They replaced, but the new ones still did it, so I opted for a different style, tad more expensive but they honoured the original cost I paid.
They are not a chain store but independent shop.

RunaroundSue Wed 10-Apr-24 17:45:39

I know Vision Express and Specsavers refund your money if you are not happy with your glasses.

CanadianGran Wed 10-Apr-24 18:09:01

Glasses do have measurements for the frame width, and temple length. If you take an old pair that do fit well, and compare them to your new ones, you might see a difference. You could go back and tell them they didn't measure properly, or either ordered the wrong size of the frame that you tried on in-store.

There are tiny markings on the inside of the temple that show the measurements. Compare your old and new, and make sure you get the same measurement as previous.

You should be able to argue for a re-fit or a new frame. The don't usually have to repurchase the lens, they should grind it down to fit.

Squiffy Wed 10-Apr-24 18:24:52

Specsavers happily refunded me even though I’d had my glasses for several weeks. The lenses just didn’t seem right. It was as though the frame wasn’t sitting correctly on my nose. They altered the frame twice to adjust the position, but it just didn’t work. In the end I just used my old pair, which I’d been happy with until I was told that I needed an updated prescription!

MayBee70 Wed 10-Apr-24 18:32:50

Got the same problem. Keep wondering if they gave me different glasses to the ones I chose. They only stay on if I wear a head band and tuck them into it. I’ve realised that, when I have my eye check ups if I need new glasses I have to choose new frames there and then. In future, before I have my next eye test I’m going to go into Boots and try on the frames at leisure so if I need new ones I won’t be rushed into choosing the frames.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 10-Apr-24 18:51:19

Regarding the size of frames I had one pair of glasses that I couldn’t see through. The reason was that the frames were too small to accommodate the distance, overlap graduation and the reading areas. They had been purchased in a hurry as I had a bereavement and other things on my mind and the optician was not local. So it was a lesson learnt. Another pair from Specsavers were wrongly marked by the assistant so I literally couldn’t see across the room. After another test which showed I had the correct prescription but the areas of vision and reading were wrongly placed the manager took over and a new pair of lenses were made for me. No trouble at all getting it sorted out. Also Specsavers give you 30 days I believe to return with any problems.

Coolgran65 Wed 10-Apr-24 22:31:17

MayBee70 I don't think you have to choose your new frames there and then. You could go back if necessary and look at leisure. You can also take your prescription and go elsewhere. I did this when I couldn't see new frames that I liked.

V3ra Wed 10-Apr-24 22:36:21

In future, before I have my next eye test I’m going to go into Boots and try on the frames at leisure so if I need new ones I won’t be rushed into choosing the frames.

MayBee70 that's exactly what I do. I like to try on every pair I might be interested in without an assistant following me round.
At my age I know what works for me and what doesn't.

Mazgg Thu 11-Apr-24 10:39:53

Thank you all for your kind comments. I now feel more equipped to argue my point if necessary. I will let you know how my meeting with the technician goes on Friday.

25Avalon Thu 11-Apr-24 10:47:20

Hi Mazgg hopefully the technician will be able to get your frames to fit comfortably tomorrow. All good opticians tell you to go back if this happens. It’s an unfortunate situation as no one can adjust the frames when you first select until they come back with the lenses fitted. If they really don’t fit and can’t be made to fit then you have every right to reject them as unfit for purpose and ask for a refund.

NanaTuesday Tue 30-Apr-24 12:12:32

That’s not good , especially when ad you say it’s not a choice of wearing or not wearing & obviously the expense .
But as others have said go back time & time again , you are the customer & it is your eyesight health that is impacted.
The other thing is ask for your prescription, you are under no obligation to use the same optician. I always do this , I never ever purchase my eye wear from the high street optician.

Mazgg Tue 30-Apr-24 15:58:08

The technician did an excellent job of making the glasses fit and I am impressed with the 'indoor' lenses. I'm glad that I persevered with this.

Squiffy Tue 30-Apr-24 16:49:34

That’s great, Mazgg! One less thing to worry about!