Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

New clothes

(19 Posts)
faringdon59 Sat 06-Apr-24 12:38:36

One of my friends took me down to Cribbs Causeway Mall (Bristol) yesterday to buy some new clothes for my holiday at the end of this month.
Spent all day walking round and couldn't find any suitable dresses!
Mostly because a lot of them don't have any sleeve at all or the styles just don't seem to fit older bodies.
Came home very disappointed, can anyone advise for me to have a look online please?

RosiesMaw Sat 06-Apr-24 12:42:53

Seasalt
Roman
White Stuff
M&S
Cotton Traders
Lands End

GrannyGravy13 Sat 06-Apr-24 13:01:47

White Company
John Lewis has lots of dresses by various brands
Hobbs
Boden

If I like a sleeveless dress I buy it and find a little shrug cardigan or a lightweight pashmina to match.

V3ra Sat 06-Apr-24 13:06:06

Deal: OUGES Women's Summer Midi Dress V-Neck Long/Short Sleeve Floral Ladies Spring Dress with Pockets amzn.eu/d/gNNfBej

I've recently had this one, and several of the other colour options as well!
I've worn it and it washed nicely.
I did go up a size as I'm long-waisted and needed a bit of extra length in the bodice, plus I don't like clothes too snug.
Easy to send back if it doesn't suit.

NotAGran55 Sat 06-Apr-24 13:09:25

John Lewis have more 8000 dresses on- line at all price points and a multitude of brands.
The ‘filter’ facility is fantastic.

zakouma66 Sat 06-Apr-24 13:43:15

V3ra, bargain price !

GrannyIvy Sat 06-Apr-24 13:51:57

Just home from M & S they have a lovely selection of holiday clothes at reasonable prices. I just need to lose a few pounds before buying my holiday clothes🙈

Frenchgalinspain Sat 06-Apr-24 14:12:08

I remember Mark & Spencer´s when they had a department store on Calle Serrano & Calle Ayala or Calle Hermosilla in the early 1990s when I first arrived in The Madrid Capital from France.

They had fabulous some British baked goods !!

Being petite, the clothing just did not come in my size.

However, felt bad when it closed. It has since become an El Corte Ingles.

M & S is a good place to check out for full figured ladies.

I do not buy online .. I like to try on business suits and definitely coasts, jackets and shoes and trousers.

muffinthemoo Sat 06-Apr-24 14:15:14

Nobody's Child are good for dresses with longer skirts and sleeves

RosiesMaw Sat 06-Apr-24 14:21:41

@FrenchgalinSpain -M&S dresses start at size 6 - how much smaller do you require to be “petite” ?
I fear your views may be rather out of date.

zakouma66 Sat 06-Apr-24 14:30:17

How do you stay petite with all that grub and plonk?

Joseann Sat 06-Apr-24 16:01:51

If you can't find anything at Cribbs, then I'm not sure where else to suggest. Most of the stores mentioned here are at Cribbs.
Boden is my favourite at the moment fir holiday wear. I ordered a few items last week, and have my eye on a few more. M & S has lots of summery dresses.
Everything seems to be blue this year, and quite a nice peppermint green.

Bellasnana Sat 06-Apr-24 16:09:46

RosiesMaw

@FrenchgalinSpain -M&S dresses start at size 6 - how much smaller do you require to be “petite” ?
I fear your views may be rather out of date.

My understanding of ‘petite’ is that it is for people 5’4” or less, or with shorter than average backs, arms etc.

I’m a size 6 but I’m not petite.

Debbi58 Sat 06-Apr-24 16:35:23

Next Online are the best , if you have an account with them , you can buy their unlimited delivery and collection deal. I think its around £20 for the year . Just pay for what you keep, I buy all clothes from them now

Nana56 Sat 06-Apr-24 16:46:21

I like Seasalt, Joe Brown, Fat face ,Weird fish and White stuff. Good luck

Gala Sat 06-Apr-24 17:14:46

Leave some room in your suitcase. Have a shopping spree in your holiday destination - I assume you are heading somewhere warm. I bought 2 dresses & a blouse on my recent holiday in Lanzarote & I wasn't even trying. Different shops, different brands - I could've filled a suitcase 🫢.

Callistemon21 Sat 06-Apr-24 17:48:00

Joseann

If you can't find anything at Cribbs, then I'm not sure where else to suggest. Most of the stores mentioned here are at Cribbs.
Boden is my favourite at the moment fir holiday wear. I ordered a few items last week, and have my eye on a few more. M & S has lots of summery dresses.
Everything seems to be blue this year, and quite a nice peppermint green.

I was thinking the same.

Some shops have disappeared, of course, such as East but John Lewis should have had a good range and Phase Eight has a separate shop there now, I think, along with Hobbs.
No Zara, apparently (ice never been in one but I hear it's good!).

I'm not sure where you are faringdon but there is also Gloucester Quays and some towns still have dress shops with a surprisingly wide range of clothes. Are you anywhere near Lydney? There's a good women's clothing shop there.

Buying online is ok but I like to feel fabric as well as try on, although admit it's more difficult to do that now.

Callistemon21 Sat 06-Apr-24 17:48:42

ice = I've!

Kate1949 Sun 07-Apr-24 10:53:18

That's a lovely dress V3ra. I've just looked at the site. Some lovely things. I couldn't work out the sizes though -S, M, L etc. I'm a 14-16. I wouldn't know which size to order.