Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Broken toe. DGS holiday.

(19 Posts)
Nandalot Wed 27-Mar-24 18:05:08

We are due to fly to Majorca with DD and twins next week. DGS has fractured his toe. The urgent treatment centre have put it in a splint but he won’t get to see orthopaedics until 3.30pm the day before we fly out at 6a.m. DD does not seem to have been given much info. Should he get one of those boot things. If anyone has any experience with broken toes, I would appreciate your advice.

CanadianGran Wed 27-Mar-24 18:20:50

If urgent treatment centre gave him a splint, I would think that would suffice. But I would make sure everyone had travel insurance in case it turns out that he needs something else.

I once had a fractured toe and it just needed to be taped to the next toe, and to wear loose shoes. It took around 5-6 weeks to mend.

Ilovecheese Wed 27-Mar-24 18:23:30

I have broken a toe. They just taped it to the next toe.

MayBee70 Wed 27-Mar-24 18:24:18

I’ll have to ask her but if I remember right when her son fractured his big toe my daughter just ignored it. I’m sure she spoke to her paediatrician friend about it though. I’ll try to ask her what happened. Hasten to add it isn’t how I would have dealt with it given that I’ve been plagued with foot problems throughout my life!

BlueBelle Wed 27-Mar-24 18:29:15

Yes broken toes are normally just taped together, done it twice
(once wasn’t enough) once taped, second time I just left it to heal and had no further problems

Aldom Wed 27-Mar-24 18:31:33

When I was 17 I broke my toe. The hospital doctor taped it to the next toe. From recent knowledge, I'm pretty sure that's still the usual practice. Hope the holiday goes ahead as planned.

J52 Wed 27-Mar-24 18:35:33

I broke my toe and as others have said it was strapped to the next one.. I went on holiday to France and about 6 weeks later the strapping could be taken off.

Nandalot Wed 27-Mar-24 19:35:17

Thank you all. Yes, it is well strapped. I just don’t know why he has a further appointment.
He’s totally gutted. No football for the last ages of the season and no swimming, I presume, on holiday. ( The nail bed is also damaged).

Witzend Wed 27-Mar-24 19:41:41

I broke one (not big toe) shortly before we were due to go on holiday to Greece. It was just a case of strapping it to the next toe, which I gather is usual for a broken toe - and hobbling around for the next few weeks. I did manage to swim in the sea though!

Witzend Wed 27-Mar-24 19:42:47

Why no swimming? Maybe not in a pool,,but the sea? Salt water is antiseptic!

Oldbat1 Wed 27-Mar-24 21:32:32

When i broke my ankle i also broke toe next to big toe. Ankle plastered but nothing done for toe. This toe still causes me discomfort but no issues with my ankle.

Nandalot Wed 27-Mar-24 21:33:22

That’s true, Witzend, though he is not as keen on sea swimming as his sister but perhaps this will cause him to rethink.

welbeck Thu 28-Mar-24 00:59:03

Witzend

Why no swimming? Maybe not in a pool,,but the sea? Salt water is antiseptic!

not always.
from mr google:
Abstract. Marine Vibrio bacteria can cause illness and occasionally death to people who are exposed to seawater. These gram-negative bacteria can be found in ocean water and estuaries and in uncooked marine animals; they can cause primary sepsis, gastroenteritis, and soft-tissue infections

vegansrock Thu 28-Mar-24 10:16:01

The EU have stricter rules on water quality than the UK currently has ( one of the benefits of Brexit). I would hesitate to swim in UK waters but looking forward to swimming in Crete.

sukie Thu 28-Mar-24 13:05:09

Coincidently, my DGS just fractured his big toe while practicing football kicking (at home in bare feet). He saw the ortho doctor who said a boot must be worn for a couple weeks, then another xray before resuming football. Like your GS, he is not happy.

silverlining48 Thu 28-Mar-24 13:36:33

I broke my toe on the first day on holiday, it was painful but I hobbled around as best I coukd. Still went in the sea, and on return went to local hospital was xrayed they found 2 toes broken, and so two lots of two toes were strapped together and nothing more to be done. No mention of return for a further X-ray….really wouldn't worry too much.

silverlining48 Thu 28-Mar-24 13:37:03

This was last summer

silverlining48 Thu 28-Mar-24 13:38:18

My broken toes were the big toe and the middle one.

Esmay Thu 28-Mar-24 17:06:57

I've fractured my toes several times :

Carry a stick so that no one treads on your broken toes and causes you more pain .
If you buy some cheap plimsolls /trainers from Primark you can cut the front out to accommodate your swollen toes more easily .

Tea tree oil prevents infection in smashed nail beds .

Ibuprofen - if you can take it reduces swelling .