Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

My Shoes Hurt!……….any remedies please?

(19 Posts)
Kateykrunch Wed 06-Mar-24 17:00:33

I have been living in my lovely comfy boots, but need to start wearing my shoes, I have some lovely pairs, but 1 pair has a sharp bit right at the back so affects my skin on my heel. Another pair just rub on both my heals. Any ideas on how to remedy this please other than plasters on my heels. Thanks in ant. (I’ve tried those stick on heel things you attach to the shoes with no joy).

dogsmother Wed 06-Mar-24 17:06:11

Maybe you need new shoes that fit better?

Casdon Wed 06-Mar-24 17:10:01

Wear them with two pairs of socks, the friction is then between the socks rather than on your heel, and it should stretch them so they don’t rub.

Cossy Wed 06-Mar-24 17:11:14

You can get great boot and shoes stretchers on the internet quite cheaply.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 06-Mar-24 17:21:46

I have had to accept that some of my lovely shoes are no longer right for me. Particularly noticeable after a period of wearing something comfy. I tried the plasters on the heels and the things which stick inside the heel but had to go up a size/half size. C’est la vie. People shopping at my local charity shop will get some nice bargains.

Kateykrunch Wed 06-Mar-24 17:43:52

dogsmother

Maybe you need new shoes that fit better?

Oh, I never thought of that…..thanks.

Kateykrunch Wed 06-Mar-24 17:45:13

Casdon

Wear them with two pairs of socks, the friction is then between the socks rather than on your heel, and it should stretch them so they don’t rub.

Thank you, I will give that a try, I wear the little trouser socks, so will put 2 pairs on and see how I fare.

Kateykrunch Wed 06-Mar-24 17:46:08

Cossy

You can get great boot and shoes stretchers on the internet quite cheaply.

I was thinking a hammer on the sharp edge to blunt it off, but shoe stretcher may be the way to go, thank you.

Kateykrunch Wed 06-Mar-24 17:49:36

Germanshepherdsmum

I have had to accept that some of my lovely shoes are no longer right for me. Particularly noticeable after a period of wearing something comfy. I tried the plasters on the heels and the things which stick inside the heel but had to go up a size/half size. C’est la vie. People shopping at my local charity shop will get some nice bargains.

I think that is what has happened to me, too long in my comfy boots and all my weight has gone to my already piggy trotters. I have noticed on some of my shoes that they seem to curve inwards at the heel. I’ll try the shoe stretcher and 2 pairs of socks, then it will be off to the Charity shop I suppose. Thankyou.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 06-Mar-24 17:58:26

It’s depressing, I know ..,

Kalu Wed 06-Mar-24 18:06:03

Buying shoe/boot stretchers have saved me a fortune on footwear. I bought a pair from Amazon for generally widening shoes plus different pieces to add on for stretching certain areas a bit more. Good for stretching the length too, no more blistered heels.

No need for two pairs of socks and you will have better fitting shoes Kateykrunch

GrannyIvy Wed 06-Mar-24 18:09:15

I live in Sketchers now and Gabor are pricey but for a posh shoe so comfy!! Feet spread as we get older. No heels for me now!!

Coolgran65 Wed 06-Mar-24 18:45:31

Do the shoes actually fit you but have a sharp spot? Or are they tight.
I don't even try to make shoes fit. Unless they are perfect in the shop I just walk away.

I find I now can only wear quality shoes. Gabor, Hotter, etc. And thank goodness for Skechers. Don't own many pairs because they're expensive and some I've had for at least 5 years worn regularly.
I no longer own a pair of heels but do have a gorgeous pair of metallic/lurex flats that go with everything and take me anywhere.

Good luck with your shoes.

Ali08 Thu 07-Mar-24 21:33:02

Queen Elizabeth had someone wear her shoes in for her...

keepingquiet Thu 07-Mar-24 21:47:32

I bought a pair of Clark's leather shoes a few years ago but only wore them a few times as they rubbed my heels as you say. Who wants painful shoes?
It is a gamble though sometimes, but I only go for shoes with half sizes and always try them on (would never buy shoes on-line for this reason).
I don't agree with wearing lots of socks either, as they will make your feet bulkier and could cause rubbing elsewhere.
I wish I had the perfect solution but I don't.
Before Christmas I pushed the boat out and bought a pair of Reiker boots I couldn't really afford and I was terrified they wouldn't be right (trying them on in a shop for ten minutes doesn't really do it, does it?) but they have been the best boots I ever bought and I will carry on wearing them as long as I can.
The winter shows no signs of giving up here, so it may be a while before I'm back in shoes or better still, sandals.

Urmstongran Thu 07-Mar-24 21:50:43

Ali08

Yes, it was her dresser, Angela Kelly.

Primrose53 Thu 07-Mar-24 22:07:53

I was reading an article about a company called Sole Bliss who make extremely comfy shoes and trainers.

Customers include Dame Judi Dench, Joanna Lumley, Queen Camilla and loads of others.
They claim to be stylish, modern and very comfy. They are expensive but I have seen nearly new ones on Ebay.

I am lucky in that I have no problems with my feet so ordinary good quality shoes are OK for me.

LadyGaGa Thu 07-Mar-24 22:10:21

YogaMedic Silicone Heel... www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B5HCKFS2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share&tag=gransnetforum-21

Try these from Amazon. I bought a pair of short Joules wellies and they made my heels bleed. These are a game changer for me.

Kateykrunch Thu 07-Mar-24 22:47:50

Urmstongran

Ali08

Yes, it was her dresser, Angela Kelly.

I will be interviewing for Shoe Wearer Personnel shortly. Please ensure you include your shoe size in your application.
All applicants will be notified….