Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

The National Anthem

(93 Posts)
Floradora9 Tue 29-Nov-22 19:59:22

Listening to it before the football to-night it struck me that it is the only anthem not about the country but just about the king or queen Surely it is time to change this . Cannot say I wanted to watch the football but DH does and he has had a bad day so deserves to watch it .

Lauren59 Wed 04-Jan-23 22:34:24

Zoejory

Maybe Living on a Prayer would do. Quite apt and everyone always sings along.

Ha! I love this idea. 🤣

volver Sun 18-Dec-22 12:35:30

OxfordGran

Jerusalema? dance to the Anthem?

👏🏼

nanna8 Sun 18-Dec-22 12:23:45

I was thinking Land of Hope and Glory but that has rather unpleasant colonisation overtones. Jerusalem is regarded as blasphemous by many. There’ll always be an England ?

OxfordGran Sun 18-Dec-22 12:13:48

Jerusalema? dance to the Anthem?

Eloethan Sat 03-Dec-22 16:49:03

Thanks Casdon.

Lesley60 Fri 02-Dec-22 11:09:51

I’m so pleased that it’s not mine as I wouldn’t sing it, I’m Welsh and love ours

Glorianny Fri 02-Dec-22 09:43:17

I remember our English teacher at school saying we wouldn't sing so enthusiastically if we really understood Blake's words.

As the English National Anthem there is always Flanders and Swan's "The English are Best" www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4zyfwtDIHE
Apologies to all from the other three countries. It is completely non-PC.

Callistemon21 Fri 02-Dec-22 09:41:58

StoneofDestiny

*Not Jerusalem. How many other countries would sing about establishing a foreign capital in our green and pleasant land.? How would Muslims, Hindus and other religions feel about that? Perhaps substitute Beijing or Washington? I know what Blake was referring to but that makes it a purely Christian hymn. Not relevant to our multi-cultural society*

Apart from that, it's about Englands 'green and pleasant land', so not appropriate for anybody but the English

England needs it's own Anthem too.
At sporting events when, for example, England plays Wales, the Welsh sing their anthem with gusto, the English have to sing the one which represents the whole of the UK.

Casdon Fri 02-Dec-22 09:36:11

Jerusalem is a very controversial option - so controversial that when I got married the vicar would not allow it to be used in the ceremony.
www.spectator.co.uk/article/there-s-nothing-patriotic-about-william-blake-s-jerusalem

Mollygo Fri 02-Dec-22 09:11:08

Pressed post too quickly
Or Britain’s green and pleasant land

Mollygo Fri 02-Dec-22 09:08:28

StoneofDestiny, you’re right, and that’s the problem with so many songs that we sing enthusiastically. So many different cultures-even though they’re born in the UK, living in England and are happy to declare they’re British if asked, will make it difficult to find a song that will suit all.
In Jerusalem, that word was meant to be a place to aspire to for Christians. To my knowledge, neither Beijing, nor Washington are places we would aspire to be, and they don’t scan anyway. May just as well use Afghanistan

I thought we could maybe use the tune and the words of Jerusalem, but substitute Utopia for Jerusalem?
According to Merriam-Webster ,
Utopia is a place of ideal perfection especially in laws, government, and social conditions
So Till we have built Utopia in England’s Green and Pleasant land, could well be something to aspire to.
What do you think?

StoneofDestiny Thu 01-Dec-22 23:28:34

Not Jerusalem. How many other countries would sing about establishing a foreign capital in our green and pleasant land.? How would Muslims, Hindus and other religions feel about that? Perhaps substitute Beijing or Washington? I know what Blake was referring to but that makes it a purely Christian hymn. Not relevant to our multi-cultural society

Apart from that, it's about Englands 'green and pleasant land', so not appropriate for anybody but the English

StoneofDestiny Thu 01-Dec-22 23:24:16

What’s wrong with Rule Britannia? A happy tune?

You need to ask?

StoneofDestiny Thu 01-Dec-22 23:18:16

I'd stand for Flower of Scotland, but never in a million years for God Save the Queen, King or any other monarchic figure.

Mollygo Thu 01-Dec-22 22:51:36

Masonic Dinner- another close knit group like some see the RF and before you ask, yes. I am well acquainted with Freemasons through several generations. But at least you stood.

paddyann54 Thu 01-Dec-22 22:15:53

First problem I had with my late FIL was when I refused to stand for the National Anthem at a Masonic dinner .No chance in hell of me ever standing for it .I told him I would sit at the table or I would walk to the loo ...his choice .I walked to the loo

Yammy Thu 01-Dec-22 22:10:43

Bodach

"The Welsh sing "Oh land of my Fathers beautiful in Welsh", and the Scots "The flowers of the Forrest_".
Yammy: I think you probably mean "Flower of Scotland". "Flowers of the Forest" is a lament for the Scots killed at Flodden in 1513. A lovely song, but not a suitable national anthem..

Personally, I like" Scotland the brave."Sorry I got muddled up.

Doodledog Thu 01-Dec-22 21:03:30

ordinarygirl

I think we need a new anthem but I get concerned that a new one could be either jazz or rap!

Oh I don't know. George the Poet and Kae Tempest both have a great way with words and produce amazing rap poems (or poetic raps) with real social meaning. I bet either of them could come up with something appropriate and inclusive.

kevincharley Thu 01-Dec-22 21:02:20

Calendargirl

It’s fine as it is.

Agreed!
It ain't broke so it don't need fixing.
I just find I can no longer get the words right. It's going to take a while to get used to the new lyrics and, until then I'm singing
'God save our gracious Quing' grin

maggic Thu 01-Dec-22 20:50:34

I am 73 and have never sung it nor stood up for it my life, and never will. Our national anthem should celebrate the people of our nation, our struggles and our pride in what we have achieved despite the class who would rule us.

ordinarygirl Thu 01-Dec-22 20:24:22

I think we need a new anthem but I get concerned that a new one could be either jazz or rap!

Casdon Thu 01-Dec-22 18:55:13

It was this Eloethan, the Wales World Cup song.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Fag8ZQcz4

Eloethan Thu 01-Dec-22 18:47:04

I agree - it's dreary and inappropriate and expresses some very outdated ideas which are about one person "reigning," rather than the country and its population as a whole.

During coverage of the football, a song (I don't think it was the national anthem) was played which they showed Wales supporters singing beautifully. I don't know what the words were but the melody was lovely.

nipsmum Thu 01-Dec-22 17:23:34

In Scotland we sing Oh Flower of Scotland not Flowers of the Forest.

Arto1s Thu 01-Dec-22 17:23:22

I don’t live in the UK any more, so always love to hear our National Anthem. Hope they never change it!