Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Vegan buffet ideas

(24 Posts)
Hetty58 Wed 23-Nov-22 11:48:18

Nannynoodles, yes, there's a really good choice now (it used to be a nightmare).

Callistemon21 Wed 23-Nov-22 11:34:50

Nannynoodles

There's always M&S, Tesco, Waitrose .....

Chardy Wed 23-Nov-22 11:31:32

Please label what is what. Nothing worse than looking at a delicious buffet and having no idea what you can and can't eat.
One place I worked I used to follow my 'food taster' in the queue. 'Mm that plate is the meat sausage rolls, that plate is the veggie ones'.

Nannynoodles Wed 23-Nov-22 10:53:20

Oh choughdancer, I notice your quiche is also gluten free, thatā€™s on the list! Your recipes look fab, thanks.šŸ˜‹
I donā€™t mind cooking from scratch if I can prepare it before, I am often disappointed with supermarket quiches and pies.

Nannynoodles Wed 23-Nov-22 10:45:57

Wow, thank you everyone. Some great ideas there! I was going to do a finger type buffet but you have given me food for thought!!
I also have a coeliac to throw into the mix who I forgot about!
I do agree with people being a lot more picky nowadays but I also totally understand why people choose not to eat meat and animal products now, some of the videos online are horrific, I was really shocked by one on egg production although I admit I do still eat them occasionally and I love cheese.
Unfortunately some (including husband) wouldnā€™t be happy with a totally vegetarian meal - almost like they also need to make a point.
But hey-ho I can only do my best and thanks again for the ideas.

Hetty58 Wed 23-Nov-22 10:27:17

choughdancer, Thanks - and it's just practical to keep things simple - especially for a buffet. I've done the little flag labels in the past - and the kids collected them up!

GagaJo Wed 23-Nov-22 10:22:51

Me 3 choughdancer & Hetty58.

choughdancer Wed 23-Nov-22 10:14:22

Hetty58

Urmstongran, it's not about being 'picky' - it's being aware of the cruelty in food production and having strong principles to follow in what we choose to eat. What I find truly horrific (although I'll cook meat for those who want it) is the mixed messages that kids are brought up with. Traditionally, we teach them to love and respect other beings, including animals. Then, somehow, it's perfectly fine to torture and kill those we love for the sake of a favourite snack - twisted or what?

I absolutely agree with this!

GagaJo Wed 23-Nov-22 10:13:00

So many vegan products in the big supermarkets. If everything you make is vegan, other than obvious meat/fish, even the carnivores will eat the vegan food.

Plus of course, with vegan, it's automatically dairy free.

I love my meat (had sausage and bacon for breakfast today) but I happily eat my DGS's vegan food.

choughdancer Wed 23-Nov-22 10:12:25

I wasn't sure whether you want to cook from scratch, so here are a few recipes that work well and are a bit festive!

veganheaven.org/recipe/festive-vegan-falafel-with-cranberry-pear-dip/

www.peta.org/recipes/cashew-nut-roast-herb-stuffing/
This is what I cook every year for Christmas lunch, but it is lovely cold too. I usually put some shelled pistachios in for colour, or roasted red pepper strips.

www.yumsome.com/vegan-mushroom-and-leek-quiche/

www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chocolate-recipes/vegan-chocolate-pots/
This recipe is one I use over and over again, as it is so quick and easy, and tastes as good as any chocolate mousse I have tried; creamy and delicious!

www.nigella.com/recipes/salted-chocolate-tart
This is not a vegan recipe, but I make it a lot, substituting vegan ingredients. I use Bournville type biscuits (supermarkets' own label ones are usually vegan); vegan spread instead of butter; plant milk instead of cows' milk; and canned coconut milk (not the low fat one) instead of cream. It works really well!

Hope this helps.

Sago Wed 23-Nov-22 10:03:35

Sun dried tomato pate and Melba toast, pasta salad with lots of peppers, cucumber etc , guacamole and nachos, fruit skewers, deep fried tempura veg, vegan spring rolls, vegan sushi.

Hetty58 Wed 23-Nov-22 09:51:40

Urmstongran, it's not about being 'picky' - it's being aware of the cruelty in food production and having strong principles to follow in what we choose to eat. What I find truly horrific (although I'll cook meat for those who want it) is the mixed messages that kids are brought up with. Traditionally, we teach them to love and respect other beings, including animals. Then, somehow, it's perfectly fine to torture and kill those we love for the sake of a favourite snack - twisted or what?

Nannarose Wed 23-Nov-22 09:47:04

You don't say if it's a finger buffet, or just a help yourself.
I'd agree about hummus style dips (I often use the cheaper butter beans).
Veg chilli is great and I 'cheat' by using the cans of kidney beans in chilli sauce. You can wrap in tortillas or similar if you like.
Also - take some chick peas (can, or boil them up yourself) and roast with oil and salt and some flavouring - chilli or soy - whatever - they add crunch and taste. They last ages, so easy to do in advance.
I often do mushrooms a la greque, usually served as a salad, but can be served warm.
One of my great favourites is to halve, stuff and bake a butternut squash - it takes ages but if you make it lovely and soft, folk can just scoop some out.
Baba ghanoush is a great favourite (though not with me - I never get it tasty enough!
I love to make a roulade with creamy cheese like boursin and fill with spinach, but it is a last-minute fiddle, so I don't usually do it for a crowd.
Little tarts or mini pizzas are easy - you don't have to put cheese on them. I make the cases in mini tart tins and freeze ahead.
Of course, you can get vegan 'cheese', but I don't usually. Tomato and olive make a lovely filling.

You have lots of ideas now, hope some of them work for you!

Esspee Wed 23-Nov-22 09:40:02

We attended a rather posh function where we had been asked in advance to notify the venue of any allergies or intolerances. As we arrived we were again asked regarding dietary requirements. On being handed the menu we were yet again asked about allergies and intolerances so I explained to the solicitous head waiter that our generation didnā€™t have these problems. We were brought up during or just after the war and we ate everything.
Later in the evening he had a brief conversation with us on the subject and he told us of a recent function of senior citizens where nobody had announced preferences. We had given him cause to think. Make of that what you will.

Urmstongran Wed 23-Nov-22 09:30:39

This sounds a nightmare. Allergies aside, when did people become so picky?

Esspee Wed 23-Nov-22 09:23:19

I thought I would add in my 2 cents worth as I notice although salads were mentioned nobody pointed out that many salad dressings are not vegan. Hellmans has a vegan mayonnaise which unbelievably tastes like real mayonnaise so that base is easily covered.
Honey isnā€™t vegan so baklava is off the menu as well as some bbq sauces.

Lathyrus Wed 23-Nov-22 09:08:30

Not to rain on anyoneā€™s parade, but the I just cook vegan doesnā€™t work for everyone.

I have a nut allergy and a pulse intolerance. Believe me you donā€™t want to be anywhere near the toilet after Iā€™ve eaten themšŸ˜±šŸ˜¬

Just saying, please check. I was very hungry at an all day conference recently.

Hetty58 Wed 23-Nov-22 05:31:54

Nannynoodles, I have carnivores, veggies, pescatarians, vegans - and a grandchild with severe milk protein allergy. I keep it simple and usually just do vegan everything - with the 'addition' of a clearly identifiable meat dish (like lamb in the slow cooker) and sometimes fish (salmon fillets) as it saves me labelling everything. People (except carnivores) seems to be quite happy with vegan food and children can just help themselves. Chick pea curry, samosas and rice is easy and popular, with all the salads and dips. I buy creamed coconut to add (and to make vegan trifles, too) - and leave out the cheese altogether. (My brother is pescatarian and is dismayed to always be offered fish, saying 'Just because I eat it, I don't want it for every single meal!' Mum gave him fish and my son got pizza one day - so they swapped - and, oddly, she was really upset!)

Ali23 Wed 23-Nov-22 04:38:59

Maybe try to plan popular stuff that lots of people like, which just happen to be vegan? Vegan sausage rolls are a big hit in this house (shop bought) , and felafel is very easy to make...all ingredients are just combined in a food processor and the dough made into balls.
You can buy hummus in different flavours, which would make great dips for all of the family. Crisps, fruit, nuts and rice salad are universal too.
Or soup and jacket potatoes if you want something hot.
For cakes, we make vegan banana bread. If you bake it as little buns they can be frozen, then zapped in the microwave and served warm.
Good luck!

vegansrock Wed 23-Nov-22 04:23:45

www.bosh.tv/recipes/bosh-classic-mushroom-wellington

vegansrock Wed 23-Nov-22 04:22:01

Bean salad, vegan sausage rolls ( Aldi do frozen ones) , vegan quiche ( Waitrose do a nice spinach and mushroom), beetroot hummus , cashew nut butter, lots of salads , guacamole, if you want a hot dish black bean chilli is easy to prepare beforehand - serve with rice- Bosh have the best recipe - itā€™s online. Mushroom wellington by Bosh is an impressive Christmas dish.

Norah Tue 22-Nov-22 23:44:26

Hummus, falafel, baba ganoush, various curries, bruschetta.

MawtheMerrier Tue 22-Nov-22 23:30:00

A big pot of veggie chilli (easy to make vegan no cheese or sour cream) , tacos, jacket potatoes and guacamole?

Nannynoodles Tue 22-Nov-22 23:26:56

Hi, does anyone have any ideas for a cook ahead vegan buffet?
I am planning a buffet for family/friends on Boxing Day and am having to cater for so many different diets itā€™s getting really difficult!
Husband and one family are real carnivores so I need to do meat&fish, vegetarian (they love cheese and creamy deserts šŸ˜‹) plus vegan (who donā€™t like vegan cheesešŸ™).
Obviously potatoes and salads will do for everyone but I donā€™t know what else to get that I can prepare on Christmas Eve.
Thanks for any ideas!