Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

He's Sick

(10 Posts)
KeepitLight68 Mon 21-Nov-22 14:08:20

Hello ladies and gents,

I just found out my grandson has foot and mouth disease. I usually stay with him on Mondays and Wednesday afternoons until Mom and Dad get home from work.

Foot and mouth is contagious to adults and other kids. I would have to wear a mask, change diapers and take his temperature throughout the day.

I have explained to my son that I can't be there today and if the child is feeling better, I'll be there on Wednesday.

I feel bad that I can't be there but my health is important and I don't want to take the risk of catching the disease. It's my choice to make on staying back.

sad

GrannyLaine Mon 21-Nov-22 14:21:41

I'm assuming this is Hand Foot and Mouth which is quite different to Foot and Mouth which affects bovine herds? Your plan seems sensible, I do hope your grandson soon feels better.

Callistemon21 Mon 21-Nov-22 14:31:20

It's an unpleasant but not usually dangerous virus but it is contagious. Handwashing and other routine hygiene precautions are important.

You have to do what you think best; I hope he recovers soon.

nexus63 Mon 21-Nov-22 14:35:30

Anyone with HFMD needs to feel well, be fever-free for at least 24 hours, and have all HFMD blisters completely healed for quarantine to end. For most people, this means avoiding contact with others for at least 7 days
depending how long your gc has been ill, take advice from your son on how he is and do all the usual things like cleaning hand etc. i hope he feels better soon.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 21-Nov-22 14:35:38

I’m old school and think that if a child is sick they should ideally be with a parent. You did the right thing IMO.

LOUISA1523 Mon 21-Nov-22 15:22:47

I've looked after my GD with this...just very careful with handwashing.... but of course you get to choose ...I take it you mean hand foot and mouth?

LOUISA1523 Mon 21-Nov-22 15:27:08

....even if he's feeling better...he will still likely be contagious on Wednesday.....he's only little...that immune system will take a bashing this winter...he will come down with any more viruses likely... maybe your son could look for alternative childcare?

SueDonim Mon 21-Nov-22 21:38:56

Assuming it’s HF&M disease he’s got, it’s nasty for little ones and as my dd found, it’s even nastier in adults. She’s had it twice from her DC and it’s made her quite poorly. I wouldn’t risk it.

JaneJudge Mon 21-Nov-22 21:41:48

I agree with others that you should look after yourself and his own parents need to deal with a sick child. They would have to if he was in paid childcare, so I don't see the difference

welbeck Mon 21-Nov-22 22:35:33

if he's ill on monday, he won't be recovered enough by wednesday.
stay away.
see nexus63 above.