Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Soft yarn to knit with

(14 Posts)
Allsorts Sun 04-Feb-24 08:18:05

I am on the look out for decent wool, I use acrylic because of the cost of wool, but it often feels rough. Any suggestions please. Also cheap place to get knitting patterns. Thank you.

Mogsmaw Sun 04-Feb-24 08:32:36

I can recommend drops yarn as a brand. They do lots of different types and I’ve always found them reliable and good value. It’s readily available from lots of mail order companies. It’s usually the same price wherever you get it and there’s usually at least some of it on sale at any one time.
For patterns, try Ravelry, once you join there are thousands of free patterns available.

Greyduster Sun 04-Feb-24 08:41:32

I’m currently using an acrylic wool made by Stylecraft. It’s one of the nicest, softest wools I’ve knitted with for a long time. Knits up beautifully.

Primrose53 Sun 04-Feb-24 09:28:26

Greyduster

I’m currently using an acrylic wool made by Stylecraft. It’s one of the nicest, softest wools I’ve knitted with for a long time. Knits up beautifully.

I agree! Just mentioned it on another thread. Plus the range of colours is wonderful.

MiniMoon Sun 04-Feb-24 10:31:05

I was gifted some ICE yarns acrylic self striping yarn. It was lovely and soft to work with (I crochet). It's quite reasonably priced when looking on their UK website, and they have a good selection of lovely colours.

RedRidingHood Tue 06-Feb-24 14:50:14

My favourite soft wool is Cygnet Pure baby. I suppose it's aimed at baby knitters as mainly pastels but I love it to work with. I crochet but I've seen knitting patterns galore in charity shops.

lixy Tue 06-Feb-24 14:55:27

I quite often borrow knitting books from my local library.
If I find a pattern I particularly want to try I copy it on their photocopier when I take the book back - 15p an sheet.
Much cheaper than buying patterns and supporting the library too.

susytish Tue 06-Feb-24 15:06:03

I have used Bamboo wool. I have used it for baby blankets, jackets. I got introduced to it in the US and love it. Not cheap, depends what it is for, but you can shop around. Pinterest has free knitting patters, and I use the Knitting Network for wool and advice. Supermarkets often have cheaper wool.
Good luck!

Esmay Tue 06-Feb-24 15:07:02

As I've written before : I'm not the World's greatest knitter , but I have bought Cygnet wools - I get them new not donated from the hospice shop .

I also found an incredible free range of patterns from Drops.Knit , knitty and Ravelry .

TinSoldier Tue 06-Feb-24 15:14:32

You might like to try Danish company Hobbii. They have some lovely soft yarns.

Horizon DK and Butterfly DK are very soft (softer than Stylecraft Special DK which I also like a lot). Both are self-striping which may not be what you want but there are other ranges.

There may be P&P to pay - free if you order over £69. They have very frequent sales of main stock items so if you see something you like, keep an eye out for when it's offered half price or better.

Latest sale lines:

hobbii.co.uk/valentines-sale-3582

Esmay Tue 06-Feb-24 15:15:48

It's drops.design from Norway
knitty is an American blog .
I'm not sure about Ravelry - maybe American .
I second Cygnet baby yarn as super soft .

rubysong Tue 06-Feb-24 19:05:26

I've been knitting baby blanket for various charities and get the 'wool' from a Sue Ryder charity shop. It is very reasonably priced and very soft. I'm happy with it and it helps two charities at once.

Calipso Tue 06-Feb-24 19:24:10

Absolutely agree with recommendations for Stylecraft and Drops yarns. Also worth considering are Caron Simply Soft and Bernat Softee, which are lovely.

Esmay Sat 10-Feb-24 10:19:30

The Victoria and Albert Museum are offering free copies of 1940's patterns .
There's a Victory jumper and a tea cosy amongst other patterns .
Have a Google !