Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

A new craft to try

(11 Posts)
watermeadow Thu 18-Jan-24 15:35:01

I make patchwork, all by hand, but need something else to do during the winter days indoors.
I wondered about needle felting because I have 2 long-haired cats and a ready supply of silky soft clean fur. Googling this only gave me 100s of needle felted cats to buy or make, all using wool.
Has anyone else tried making use of cat fur?

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 18-Jan-24 16:10:11

I wouldn’t want to try! The birds will appreciate the combings in the nesting season.

Callistemon21 Thu 18-Jan-24 16:31:03

The only time I tried deleting, with wool, imstabbed my fingers more than the wool.

I know some people make lovely things, but it wasn't for me or my fingers.

Callistemon21 Thu 18-Jan-24 16:31:23

deleting??
Felting!

Mogsmaw Thu 18-Jan-24 16:53:10

I’d give it a try! You’ve nothing to lose except, perhaps your fingertips (poor Callistemon!).
Cat hair is “sticky” so should felt with the needles. Think how it forms a ball if you roll it it in your hands.

Oldnproud Thu 18-Jan-24 17:09:27

I would never have imagined that cat fur felting was 'a thing', so was surprised to find when I googled it a moment ago that it really is. Apparently the soft, fluffy undercoat is the best, though the fluffy undercoat of dogs felts even better!

Let us know how you get on, watermeadow.

Callistemon21 Thu 18-Jan-24 17:11:18

You’ve nothing to lose except, perhaps your fingertips 😁

And two rather chilly cats! 🐈🐈

Gwyllt Thu 18-Jan-24 17:46:40

I’ve spun the undercoat of dog.
Wasn’t enough to do anything with it
What colour is the cat
You could try the technique with some wool and save the cat hair till you have mastered the technique

watermeadow Sun 21-Jan-24 19:41:51

Gwyllt one cat black and white, other tortoiseshell and white but strangely most of their combed out fur looks grey. Good idea to first try with wool whilst I save up cat fur.

Whiff Sun 21-Jan-24 22:48:54

My sister in law made me this it's 27x25cm and I put it into a box frame so the needle felting wouldn't get dusty.

midsouthceramics Mon 22-Jan-24 01:51:18

I haven't tried needle felting with cat fur, but it sounds intriguing. If you give it a try, let us know how it turns out!