Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Support for arthritic thumb joint - recommendations needed

(14 Posts)
Retread Sun 03-Dec-23 20:19:45

I love knitting but the thumb joint on my right hand is becoming so painful that I can't knit like I used to. It improves when I reluctantly rest it.

I assume it's arthritis ... I'm wondering whether there are any recommendations from GN crafters for a joint support? I've tried Google but don't see one that I think would work.

teabagwoman Mon 04-Dec-23 06:13:04

I don’t have any particular recommendations but it might be worth looking on the Versus Arthritis website. They have a lot of information about aids that will enable sufferers to continue with their hobbies. Hope you find a solution.

NanaBabs1 Mon 04-Dec-23 06:38:59

I’ve just started using Rhus Tox & Ruta cream made by Helios for exactly the same reason. Also gone back to taking Glucosamine which I took regularly years ago. Of course, if my thumbs improve, I won’t know which worked it’s magic!
Rhus Tox was recommended by quite a few people on another GN thread a while ago. I have a Helios locally but they do mail order.

yggdrasil Mon 04-Dec-23 08:06:32

I have a couple of support things that work very well. They go round the thumb and velcro round the wrist. Unfortunately I can't remember where I got them from as I have had them for ages.

Marydoll Mon 04-Dec-23 08:24:56

I have a wrist support with a thumb support included. It was given to me by the physiotherapist.

You can get them on Amazon. click the link.

Wrist support

Sparklefizz Mon 04-Dec-23 08:32:38

Rhus Tox & Ruta Cream by Helios is miraculous. I've been using it for 15 years now after agonising pain suddenly began in one thumb and gradually spread to other fingers. I used it daily at first but now just use it every few days. I also plaster my lower back, hips and knees with it to ease pain.

Tubes of Rhus Tox & Ruta Cream are available but I now buy it in a 500g. tub which is much more economical.

The tubes are available from Helios via post and also from Amazon.

Marydoll Mon 04-Dec-23 08:43:27

It didn't work! AArgh!!! I was eventually diagnosed with tenosynovitis and carpal tunnel and eventually needed an op.

www.amazon.co.uk/SONGQEE-Adjustable-Arthritis-Tendonitis-Immobilizer/dp/B0B5YZ6XNK/ref=sr_1_7?s=drugstore&keywords=wrist+and+thumb+support&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1701679290&sr=1-7

DaisyAnneReturns Mon 04-Dec-23 09:09:56

I have Carpal Tunnel and use a strap when it's bad. Just put "strap for carpal tunnel syndrome" in google and you will find a great choice and get an idea what you are looking for. I think I bought my last one in Boots. It helps but it does still hurt.

Elless Mon 04-Dec-23 10:04:09

Depends which joint it is, I've just had my CMC joint replaced and found Push Thumb Braces helpful, they are expensive though.

25Avalon Mon 04-Dec-23 10:39:12

Have you tried Flexi Seq, the one for osteoarthritis? A friend swears by it for arthritic hands. On her recommendation I use the cheaper joint one for my knees and it has really worked for me.

Retread Mon 04-Dec-23 14:51:29

Thanks so much, everyone! I'm off to order Rhus Tox and to research your suggestions further.

Gwyllt Mon 04-Dec-23 17:05:15

When I had broken wrist my thumb was troublesome during rehab process The NHS physio gave me a wrist support that had a plastic inset which she moulded to my thumb. Only used it when doing certain tasks but really helpful

Oldnproud Mon 04-Dec-23 18:00:11

Could you change the way you knit?

Over the last couple of years I have taught myself to knit the with the yarn in my left hand instead of throwing it over with the right hand.
It came about when I was trying to improve my fairisle work using two colours and wanted to hold one colour in each hand. The techniques are different - unlike the 'throwing over' of the yarn that the right hand does, the movements of the left hand are more similar to those used in crochet, where the needle is hooking the yarn through the previous stitch.

To begin with, I struggled, but once I recognised this similarity with crocheting suddenly it got a whole lot easier. I have never struggled to crochet with the yarn in in my left hand so it suddenly made sense for knitting too.

Now, I actually prefer doing a lot of knitting projects that way.

It definitely changes which part of the hands take the strain.

Retread Mon 04-Dec-23 21:01:19

Ooh oldnproud I'll definitely try that, it makes sense (I do also crochet).

smile