Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Knitting cable mistake

(25 Posts)
fairfraise Wed 19-Oct-22 18:00:04

I'm 3 inches into an aran knit started today, 4 row pattern. I've just noticed a mistake in the k4 p2 in the row below which means undoing 2 rows or just leaving mistake there and wonder if anyone will notice. Its a small cable pattern. First jumper I've made for myself for 35 year and my first ever buy from Wool Warehouse which came today. What would you do?

aggie Wed 19-Oct-22 18:03:41

I’ve fixed. Mistakes by knitting to the row above , dropping the stitch and using a crochet hook to reverse the stitch , try utube for a video to fix it

25Avalon Wed 19-Oct-22 18:03:52

As it’s only two rows I would undo it, unless you are clever enough to pick down where the error is.

Namsnanny Wed 19-Oct-22 18:03:58

I've never knitted cable, but normally I would carefully unpick. I know it would annoy me every time I looked at it!

Vintagenonna Wed 19-Oct-22 18:04:45

fairferaise

Nothing that is created (other than by God*) is perfect.

Leave the mistake to symbolise your humanity and carry on regardless.

*according to some faiths

MrsKen33 Wed 19-Oct-22 18:04:56

If you don’t fix it, you will always be aware of it.

heath480 Wed 19-Oct-22 18:05:23

No need to unpick,just unpick down,use a cable needle.

heath480 Wed 19-Oct-22 18:06:11

PS,yes as explained by Aggie.

fairfraise Wed 19-Oct-22 18:06:39

Thanks all . I've just started unpicking the cable row very slowly.

Callistemon21 Wed 19-Oct-22 18:11:49

aggie

I’ve fixed. Mistakes by knitting to the row above , dropping the stitch and using a crochet hook to reverse the stitch , try utube for a video to fix it

Yes, I'd do that too.

I was going to finish knitting a jumper I started years ago which was nearly all done except for one side of the front neck decrease area.
It's rather a complicated cable and can I get it right! I unpacked it three times and abandoned it again.

Good luck, if you don't fix it then it will always annoy you. It should be quite simple as you haven't got much further.

Adelaide66 Wed 19-Oct-22 20:53:52

Knitters in the Scottish Isles, Arran possibly , deliberately make a mistake in their knitting.. as a reminder that only God is perfect.3

Doodledog Wed 19-Oct-22 21:02:46

I would fix it. It's not difficult when you bite the bullet, and if it goes wrong, just catch the stitches on a safety pin or stitch marker and knit back until you reach the mistake then knit it up again.

fairfraise Wed 19-Oct-22 21:09:04

Adelaide66 I don't think a small mistake would be noticed in those very complex aran patterns! I've undone 2 rows slowly and will restart tomorrow.

lixy Wed 19-Oct-22 21:10:12

I'd have put it right because I would know it was there and that would spoil my enjoyment of wearing the jumper.

Hope it's fixed and knitting up beautifully by now.

Nannagarra Wed 19-Oct-22 21:17:37

I’d drop the stitch and ladder it down so that a crochet hook could be used to rectify the mistake. To leave it as it is would bother me - I’d know and would see it whenever I wore the garment.
A lot of my friends are making Aran knits, farfraise. They’re a work of art. Will you post a pic when you’ve finished?

denbylover Wed 19-Oct-22 21:23:04

Hi, undo it, if you don’t you’ll always know it’s there and that’s where your eyes will be drawn to first! It’s only 2 rows and whilst now it’s a fag, later on you’ll be pleased you did. I’ve had this dilemma, especially irking if it’s a cable, that’s when I put it away, mistake and all and deal with it later.

Namsnanny Wed 19-Oct-22 21:59:23

fairfraise Do let us know how you get on please, even a photo of the work in progress would be lovely.

Adelaide66 Thu 20-Oct-22 06:31:21

We

. Well done for your dedication, fairfraise.

L

LadyGracie Thu 20-Oct-22 10:05:26

I’d have to undo it, it would keep staring at me! As it’s only two rows it won’t take long.

sodapop Thu 20-Oct-22 12:53:28

There was a lady on TV the other day knitting Guernsey's using five needles. Really interesting as the jumpers were for fishermen and the patterns indicated where they came from. Too complicated for me though.

readsalot Thu 20-Oct-22 13:55:35

I would fix it with a crochet hook (see Youtube) or unpick the two rows. I have ignored these mistakes before and regetted it! Two rows is nothing and you can look on it as practice. What pattern and yarn are you using?

fairfraise Thu 20-Oct-22 17:06:49

Well I undid 3 rows this morning, pattern restored and have done 5 inches. But I think I will have to undo and knit the next size up. It looks as if it will be a tad small, when compared to jumper I'm wearing. It's King Cole Forest Aran and the pattern was in the November issue of Prima. Its a recycled yarn, not quite as thick as usual Aran.

Callistemon21 Thu 20-Oct-22 17:18:18

Well done but oh dear, fairfraise.

I found King Cole DK was finer than some other makes.
Perhaps knit a test piece first to make sure.

Allsorts Thu 20-Oct-22 17:20:55

I can usually drop a stitch and pick up correctly the wrong one but you if can’t, undo as it won’t look right, it’s only two rows.

readsalot Thu 20-Oct-22 21:31:40

Thanks. Just had a look at the yarn and really like the colours. King Cole 5657 is starting to call my name.......