Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Embroidery Machine, In the Hoop Christmas gifts

(19 Posts)
Happysexagenarian Tue 11-Oct-22 19:17:41

DaisyAnne These are photos of the Christmas dinner Treat Holders I made last year. They hung on the backs of the dining chairs. Some of our GC were staying with us and as we hadn't seen them all year I went a bit overboard on the decorations! They loved them. They were very quick and easy to make in the hoop (I made a dozen), and I think I have seen more elegant adult designs too. I forgot to take photos of the cutlery holders but they were felt mittens big enough to hold a folded napkin and cutlery. The tree decorations were snowflakes, bells, reindeers and nutcracker soldiers. Oh and I made a freestanding Letter to Santa Postbox, like a little house, that was well used!

I'm sure you'll find some lovely ITH Christmas ideas on Pinterest etc.
Happy sewing!

DaisyAnne Thu 06-Oct-22 22:21:54

I've had mine for a couple of years now Happysexagenarian having had a 4" x 4" hoop one before I got this one. I love in the hoop items. Cutlery holders are good idea, especially as they can be a bit quirky for Christmas. We have grown through the toys stage, but the Elf on the Shelf jumpers should enable the quickly made jumpers to go on for a few years. I would love to see the sort of decorations you have made.

Happysexagenarian Thu 06-Oct-22 15:15:58

DaisyAnne I'm a bit late joining the party, but just thought I'd mention I bought a Brother Embroidery/Quilting machine last year and I absolutely love it. It's opened up a whole new world of sewing and crafting for me. It's lovely to be able to personalise things or add embroidery to ready made garments etc. Last year I made In the Hoop toys, cutlery holders and tree decorations all of them inspired by things I'd seen on Pinterest.

Blossoming Mon 03-Oct-22 16:20:21

Ali08

@Callistemon21

What's that about a coroner and Pinterest?
Now you've got me very curious!!

Callistemon has started a thread on the subject under ‘News and Politics’

Ali08 Mon 03-Oct-22 15:24:16

Blossoming

I haven’t heard of problems with Pinterest Callistemon. I use it for recipes, craft stuff and rehab exercises. What happened?

Problems can arise from copyrighted stuff being posted by all & sundry.
Well, that's what I know of, anyway.

Ali08 Mon 03-Oct-22 15:22:01

@Callistemon21

What's that about a coroner and Pinterest?
Now you've got me very curious!!

DaisyAnne Sun 02-Oct-22 01:17:16

Hijack away. This sort of thread does wander.

Blossoming Sat 01-Oct-22 22:40:45

Oh, of course! I wasn’t thinking. Or at least I was, but not of the right thing. Sorry DaisyAnn

Callistemon21 Sat 01-Oct-22 22:35:01

I don't want to hijack DaisyAnne's thread, Blossoming, perhaps I should start a new one.

Blossoming Sat 01-Oct-22 21:25:14

I haven’t heard of problems with Pinterest Callistemon. I use it for recipes, craft stuff and rehab exercises. What happened?

Callistemon21 Sat 01-Oct-22 21:01:51

JaneJudge

please post photos

Yes, please.

I might become inspired to get the machine out again.

JaneJudge Sat 01-Oct-22 21:00:25

please post photos

DaisyAnne Sat 01-Oct-22 20:58:56

I found out what I wanted to do with my deck from there. It can be a bit like disappearing down a black hole though.

I wrote a reply but it seems to have disappeared. Anyway, thank you for your help. The first batch will be Elf in the Shelf jumpers to go to Australia. Then ... I may try free standing lace and make angels for everyone. Well, I will try the first one and see how it goes as I have never done it before! I can't hand make tree decorations now (my hands object) so this may be a way forward.

JaneJudge Sat 01-Oct-22 20:29:22

sad @ Pinterest. I look at art stuff on there

Callistemon21 Sat 01-Oct-22 20:02:22

Blossoming

Pinterest is a great source of inspiration smile

I was going to put a warning on about Pinterest.
Personally, I've always disliked it but after this week's findings by a coroner I'd avoid it at all costs.

Sorry, DaisyAnne, that was sidetracking. I've never heard of In the Hoop. My newish machine does some embroidery stitches which I've practised and should explore more but haven't done much sewing lately.

Blossoming Sat 01-Oct-22 18:57:57

Pinterest is a great source of inspiration smile

JaneJudge Sat 01-Oct-22 18:10:22

Oh have you got an embroidery machine? How lovely

Have you looked on pinterest? it holds me hostage several times a week blush

Blossoming Sat 01-Oct-22 18:07:42

I’ve never done machine embroidery, sounds interesting. Some ideas here.

www.sewingmachinefun.com/embroidery-gift-ideas/

DaisyAnne Sat 01-Oct-22 17:17:24

Has anyone had any successes they could share to give me ideas? I ought to be getting on with these.