Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Watercolour and coffee painting

(12 Posts)
GrandmasueUK Tue 30-Aug-22 17:06:19

I did a couple of paintings a few weeks ago and just got round to mounting them. I’m surprised how much better they look. I’m quite pleased with them now.

The flowers were quick ones using watercolour paints on watercolour paper. The hat was painted using coffee on Yupo paper, which is a polymer, so the paint doesn’t get absorbed and it’s easy to remove if you make mistakes!

Elizabeth27 Tue 30-Aug-22 17:11:48

They are lovely, I especially like the transparency look of the petals and the colours you have used. Interesting using coffee, I have never heard of that.

Blossoming Tue 30-Aug-22 17:14:15

Beautiful paintings GrandmaSue, I love the hat!

Farzanah Tue 30-Aug-22 17:16:54

Very nice, and I like the use of coffee on the hat. You are right, a mount especially the right colour really sets off a picture.

LauraNorderr Tue 30-Aug-22 17:17:00

Lovely paintings GrandmasueUK, the coffee hat is very unusual, I’d certainly wear that to a wedding and maybe make a drink from it after I’d had a few too many glasses of shampoo at the reception.
Seriously though, they are lovely paintings.

foxie48 Tue 30-Aug-22 17:23:26

Lovely. It's so satisfying to get a nice water colour painting as it's such a difficult medium, just so easy to ruin. Also never heard of using coffee. I did a painting of some poppy seed heads and really struggled with getting the right colour, perhaps coffee would have worked on water colour paper. I must give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

Aveline Tue 30-Aug-22 17:31:13

My granny used to use tea as a colourant on fabrics

grannylyn65 Tue 30-Aug-22 17:33:25

Would put that on my wall

GrandmasueUK Tue 30-Aug-22 18:02:53

Thank you very much ladies. I love my straw hat which I did wear to a wedding a few years ago. I got it out to wear in the sun a couple of months ago. I don't think I'll be wearing it for best now though. It was a bargain from TK Maxx.
The flowers were from an online tutorial and were so simple and quick and I was really happy with the results.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 30-Aug-22 18:13:10

Well done. It's great to have new ideas. When I struggle to get the right colour for flowers, I always say " I can't compete with God". The best we can do is try to interpret the pleasure we feel when we view the subject. Let's keep going. Good luck.

ginny Tue 30-Aug-22 20:19:17

Lovely paintings.
I agree that even a simple frame can really enhance your work.

Chocolatelovinggran Tue 30-Aug-22 20:58:24

Thank you for these, GrandmaSue. I love the hat. You are very talented.