Gransnet forums

AIBU

Dwp again. Is it me ??

(50 Posts)
Nana56 Wed 27-Mar-24 13:21:37

I have just called DWP to query why I never receive any communication.
After listening to many options I finally spoke to general enquiries.
Security questions, name, address, date of birth etc . All ok so far.
I was told hiw much the new amount woukd be , but to query the lack of mail wad told I woukd have to call again and get through to change if circumstances.

Nothing has changed, it's because if Security. However obviously myself ad passed Security and was told hiw much I would be receiving. Aghh.
Don't think I've got the strength to go through it all again.
I'll just resign myself to no post. The only letter I've had was 2 years ago when I first received my pension.

V3ra Wed 27-Mar-24 13:46:26

For what it's worth neither of us has had a letter with the new rates on yet.
We'll find out when it's in the bank if not before 🤷

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 27-Mar-24 14:16:33

Ditto Vera. It’s really not worth worrying about and spending ages on the phone to the DWP.

kazzerb Wed 27-Mar-24 14:23:04

The new rates for benefits are online now

Callistemon21 Wed 27-Mar-24 14:36:39

When I contacted someone last week a person actually answered. He said he was working from home and could not send me the forms I needed.

If a lot of the staff are working from home there could be a lack of co-ordination, lack of access to the information and paperwork required and consequently chaos and inefficiency.

I can only make a query by filling in actual paper forms and sending them back will there be an actual person in the office to open the post, read the forms and deal with queries?

MissAdventure Wed 27-Mar-24 14:40:26

No, your form will be directed immediately to the "we have no record of that" department.

It's always busy in there!
Lots of people, highly trained in losing 39 page forms. smile

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 27-Mar-24 14:41:47

How long ago did JRM kick up a fuss about civil servants still wfh? That seems to have done a lot of good (not).

Callistemon21 Wed 27-Mar-24 14:43:04

Oh no!

Actually, I think what he was saying was "I really don't have a clue and I'm not at all interested".
Still not received the forms.

If I ever get them I'd better keep a copy just in case.

DiamondLily Wed 27-Mar-24 18:03:44

I did receive notification of my new pension amounts, but not my DLA. I just looked it up. I haven’t got the energy to try and phone them.😳

Brahumbug Sun 31-Mar-24 11:03:36

Most paperwork is scanned into the system and accessible by anyone on a computer, working from home makes no real difference. Government cuts to staff and office space mean that staff can't work from the office even if they wanted to, as JRM should have been aware of, if he wasn't an arse of the highest order. Access to information and coordination are nothing to do with working from home. I personally hated working from home as I enjoyed the social atmosphere of the office, but it was down to government decisions.

pen50 Mon 01-Apr-24 11:09:45

Brahumbug

Most paperwork is scanned into the system and accessible by anyone on a computer, working from home makes no real difference. Government cuts to staff and office space mean that staff can't work from the office even if they wanted to, as JRM should have been aware of, if he wasn't an arse of the highest order. Access to information and coordination are nothing to do with working from home. I personally hated working from home as I enjoyed the social atmosphere of the office, but it was down to government decisions.

HMRC do this and, from my working experience, regularly lose everything.

spabbygirl Mon 01-Apr-24 11:10:28

Brahumbug

Love it Brahumbug!!! He is indeed an arse of the highest order! As are most of his pals! smile

Callistemon21 Mon 01-Apr-24 11:12:52

I haven't received those forms from the DWP yet.

Lip service and empty promises.

Silvermite Mon 01-Apr-24 11:29:27

Dealing with the DWP in my experience is a complete waste of time. Last year I had someone claiming benefit from my house. I did not know the man and reported it several times even to the extent of going into a DWP office only to be told there was nothing they could do because they had no way of knowing if I was telling a lie, and trying to stop him, claiming! This went on for seven months. I was very concerned that this man would turn up on my doorstep at sometime so I reported it to my MP who sent my concerns to the director General of the DWP who took the case up.

I then received a phone call from the DWP telling me that the matter had been an administrative error and that somebody had put in my address by mistake and I would no longer received any post from them. An hour later, the man turned up on my doorstep, demanding his paperwork. It turned out the DWP had told him where I lived, and where the paperwork had gone to. He was belligerent and nasty. I was so upset that my neighbours insisted I called the police and report him which I did. The DWP had done no background check on him he had merely filled in forms given a mobile number and his bank details. I would never deal with them in the future, I would make an appointment with either age, UK or citizens advice

knspol Mon 01-Apr-24 11:51:09

I have written with queries regarding the amount of state pension I receive and have never had a reply, started this over 12 mths ago. I sent the last letter recorded delivery but as yet no response.
I do think HMRC are worse, I sent them a form to complete and it was returned 14 months later and only half filled in, I thought they had probably just scrapped it. It was of no use whatsoever to me as we were then in a different tax year and consequently unacceptable to the company who wanted the info. It did come with a brief letter form HMRC to say if it was no longer acceptable then please send in another form!!! As if!!!

jocork Mon 01-Apr-24 12:01:30

spabbygirl

Brahumbug

Love it Brahumbug!!! He is indeed an arse of the highest order! As are most of his pals! smile

Finally someone has described JRM to my satisfaction. Of all obnoxious politicians he is the one who raises my hackles the most! I live in the forlorn hope that he will be ousted at the next general election.

maddyone Mon 01-Apr-24 12:04:00

I haven’t had a letter informing me of the change to my pension next month, but I’m not really bothered because I assume it’ll arrive in my bank and then I’ll know. However, it strikes me that not much has changed since all the WASPI women didn’t receive any notification of their pension ages. The DWP really should get itself organised and together. It’s simply not good enough.

JaneJudge Mon 01-Apr-24 12:08:03

I am an appointee for someone and it took me all day to get through to someone at ESA. iirc it took 4 hours from being put from one line to another. I had taken the day off work as it was proving fruitless to ring and wait either before or after my work hours.

Theexwife Mon 01-Apr-24 12:54:03

All the information is online, people phoning rather than looking it up will be clogging up the system.

Dizzyribs Mon 01-Apr-24 13:18:33

Last communication I received from the DWP was in 2015 telling me I would receive my state pension in 2017 on my 60th birthday-🙄🤷🏻‍♀️

Ellylanes1 Mon 01-Apr-24 14:18:45

A few weeks after my husbands sudden death I received letters from HMRC asking about a property he (according to them) owned abroad.
This was complete nonsense, I looked up the address on Google earth, it was on an industrial estate in Europe.
My very ill father, who was executor and myself travelled to an office to be tret in an awful manner, leaving no further foreward. Had my father not been a businessman used to dealing with authorities I dread to think how I would have coped at the time.
Eventually a 'clerical error' was blamed.
Not a lot of good after the dreadful time we were put through.
An ill elderly gentleman and a new widow.
I still have some of the correspondence, it still annoys me many years later.

Cossy Mon 01-Apr-24 14:28:50

MissAdventure

No, your form will be directed immediately to the "we have no record of that" department.

It's always busy in there!
Lots of people, highly trained in losing 39 page forms. smile

Having worked for the DWP you’re bang on 😂😂😂😂😂

That department is next to the “how (not) to give the best customer service” dept!

HomeAgain123 Mon 01-Apr-24 14:35:11

Actually spoke to someone sensible ( I think ) last week … telling me my voluntary payment made Jan 23 have still not been added due to an error xx no explanation why I’d not been contacted but told me to expect a reply to a letter received in June 23 approximately sept 24 ….. I can’t get a forecast until it’s all updated … and they can’t tell me if it’s worth it or not until they do ….. going round in circles

Zoe65 Mon 01-Apr-24 14:47:04

In the case of not receiving the letter re the upcoming rise in state pension,can’t believe the writer wasted time phoning them .so what ?the only time I’d phone them is if the new amount wasn’t credited in April as says on their website .No wonder they are always so busy and long waiting times when people like this are phoning them ver nothing!

MissAdventure Mon 01-Apr-24 14:50:07

They're not an emergency service.
People should be able to phone and speak to someone who will help them with a query.