Gransnet forums

AIBU

Just turned 60 - what’s on offer?!

(39 Posts)
Flaxseed Fri 15-Mar-24 08:16:18

I spent last weekend celebrating my 60th (how do we reach these milestones so quickly?! confused ) and now things have settled down I am looking at how working for 44 years (7 more to go until state pension) might benefit me apart from free prescriptions.
I do understand we have a increasing aging population and that there’s not an infinite pot of money so I thinking more of non government funded ‘perks’
Thanks smile

TinSoldier Fri 15-Mar-24 08:30:29

The obvious ones that come to mind are a free sight test, Senior Rail Card and National Express Coach Card and cinema tickets.

You may or may not be entitled to free public travel depending on where you live. In England outside of London there is no free bus pass until pension age.

tanith Fri 15-Mar-24 08:34:02

If you have a boots card I think it’s double points for over 60s.
The Freedom Pass in London is so welcome it’s a shame it’s not available widely.

cornergran Fri 15-Mar-24 08:39:19

Here it’s pension age for a bus pass and no entitlement to free or subsidised train travel. Quite envious of folk who have a Freedom Pass.

Grandmadinosaur Fri 15-Mar-24 08:43:52

I think the Boots card is only double points on a Wednesday. Iceland also have a 20% off day for over 60s which I think is a Tuesday. I only use these stores occasionally so I think those are the days.
A lot of attractions give discounts but they are all different some over 60 some are over 65.

Pittcity Fri 15-Mar-24 09:00:05

You need to register your existing Boots Advantage card for the over 60s club. There are extra points and ever changing offers.
I think it's B&Q that has/had a Wednesday Club
10% off in Iceland on Tuesdays. Ours likes to see proof of age.

There are lots of offers from restaurants, cinemas, museums to garages....just check websites or ask.

Pension age for a bus pass here too, but you can buy a discount rail card.

Jaxjacky Fri 15-Mar-24 09:00:43

DFDS ferries give a discount to over 60’s but you have to ring them.

Pittcity Fri 15-Mar-24 09:03:59

There are also things like soup/roll and unlimited hot drinks for £1 at Asda that happen now and again.

dogsmother Fri 15-Mar-24 09:06:13

Bus pass here at 60….get a buzz every time I use it. Prescriptions upon receipt of pension which for me is only a couple of weeks away despite the fact if I was mainland uk it would have been free forty years ago due to just one of my conditions!

Maggiemaybe Fri 15-Mar-24 09:21:23

In England outside of London there is no free bus pass until pension age.

Some other areas give free bus travel from 60, TinSoldier, Greater Manchester and Liverpool for starters. Occasionally free rail travel is included too.

Granmarderby10 Fri 15-Mar-24 09:36:55

I suppose it would be useful to get a list of all the various perks available for those over 60 in your area and familiarise yourself with them. Print out and stick near a calendar..or maybe there is an app or reminder on your tablet or phone. That way you can benefit.

Siope Fri 15-Mar-24 09:46:07

English Heritage have a senior membership offer. Lots of theatres and cinemas offer reduced rates for older people (some 60+ some 65+, so you have to check), as do various attractions and events.

annsixty Fri 15-Mar-24 10:42:41

In Greater Manchester you can have your free bus pass upgraded for the sum of £10 a year.
This entitles you to travel anywhere in Greater Manchester on trains free.

Flaxseed Fri 15-Mar-24 11:59:29

No free bus pass here unfortunately.
I have a national railcard that I pay £30 per year for which gets me discounted rail travel anyway. This seemingly is just the same as the over 60’s railcard. So, essentially that discount is open to everyone, which I only found out last year!
I will sign up for the Boots points thanks.
Think DP has the B&Q card but I will get one too.
I don’t really shop in Iceland and work a Tuesday, but I will look at the websites of the shops I do use to see what they offer.
I have a blue light card too (which I forget to use) so it’s a good idea to list everything.
I am too far out of London to apply for a Freedom Pass but just popped on the website to see what it was and checked eligibility and wouldn’t be entitled to one until I am 67 even if I was in London.

I get a free sight test with my contact lense scheme but worth knowing if I decide to stop wearing lenses.

silverlining48 Fri 15-Mar-24 12:01:30

That sounds great annsixty, I am half a mile from outer London so just get the bus pass. Would love to be able to use the trains and happily pay a tenner.

silverlining48 Fri 15-Mar-24 12:03:13

If you use a hearing aid there is a reduction in the pensioner rail pass.

Whiff Fri 15-Mar-24 12:41:05

In Merseyside men and women aged 60 get a free bus pass,which can be used on local trains so I can go to Chester for free and free on the ferry. Pass starts at 9.30am and I think until midnight but never on buses or trains at night. Have got a senior Railcard card get a third off my travel. Free prescriptions,Boots over 60 get extra points .

Elusivebutterfly Fri 15-Mar-24 14:16:02

If you shop in Tesco, you can use your Clubcard points to buy a senior railcard for £10 instead of £30. The same applies for other railcards for younger people.

Flaxseed Sat 16-Mar-24 08:26:11

Oh interesting elusivebutterfly Thanks

LOUISA1523 Sat 16-Mar-24 10:33:50

Do b and q still do 10% off on Wednesdays for overv60s?

Pittcity Sat 16-Mar-24 12:47:12

LOUISA1523

Do b and q still do 10% off on Wednesdays for overv60s?

Only if you already have a Diamond discount card. It's no longer open to new applications.

TinSoldier Sat 16-Mar-24 12:51:26

Yes. It closed to new applicants in September 2018:

www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/08/bq-to-close-over-60s-discount-scheme-to-new-applicants---and-reduce-the-products-it-covers/

sodapop Sat 16-Mar-24 12:55:29

Why do you think anything should be 'on offer' Flaxseed ?

Maggiemaybe Sat 16-Mar-24 15:29:05

Of course there are always the “pensioners’ specials”, or at least there are round my way. Usually at fish and chip restaurants or for afternoon tea, and usually available for anyone over 60.

Maggiemaybe Sat 16-Mar-24 15:32:55

And if you’re travelling, there are often big discounts to be had at museums and galleries. We spent an afternoon at the Solidarity museum in Gdańsk for about 20p each, after the receptionist tactfully asked if we could possibly be over 59.