Gransnet forums

AIBU

Cat Sitting Dilemma

(85 Posts)
Jane52 Sun 25-Feb-24 18:36:58

Am being asked to care for a cat for around eight months as daughter had baby. Do not want to. Said no originally. Son had cat for 4 weeks, not visited by Grandson, whose cat it is in this time. I have cat now as took it from son when son went on holiday. Not wanting 8 months of cat commitment. And I want support e.g have some breaks booked and want to be able to go on them (have found some people who would come to my home but cat is not mine so daughter would need to agree to this) That is not happening at moment. Have some serious health conditions and want to make sure ok to change cat litter with them and be around cat poo. I am going to speak with consultant about this as am immunocompromised.
Grandson, age 14 who is wanting to keep cat, does not visit cat, shows zero interest in cat!! I have asked he visit cat - not happening - told too far to come. It is on walk to school route so distance not the issue and visit could be at weekend. I am annoyed at this.
Have asked daughter for cat to be flead and wormed at vets and checked for toxiplasmosis, something she caught from cats many years ago due to autoimmune disease I have. Getting a lot of anger from daughter re this, though she is going to get cat flead and wormed now.
Being told by daughter and rest of family I am causing them stress by asking for cat to go to vets re fleas, worming and to ask about toxiplasmosis and for a test if needed.
Daughter left voicemail stating upset that I am asking in my text about things to do with cat and not about how she is doing
Understand her need to be asked how she is doing and I will visit her and baby. I would also like her to take my health issues and concerns seriously and not dismiss them because her son, who does not visit cat, wants to keep the cat.
Any thoughts on constructive way forward with this folks.

MissAdventure Sun 25-Feb-24 18:43:16

A constructive way forward would be for your daughter take the cat back and look after it, as adults are supposed to do when they get a pet.
Failing that, it would be kinder to rehome the cat with someone that actually wants it.

If its near to her home, then even better, because your grandson can visit "his' cat.

fancythat Sun 25-Feb-24 18:44:34

I would take cat around to your DD tomorrow. Job done.

LOUISA1523 Sun 25-Feb-24 18:44:37

Pop cat in a carrier and drop it back home....not your cat..not your problem...your DD sounds every selfish and entitled

fancythat Sun 25-Feb-24 18:46:16

I wouldnt tell her you are coming round, either.
I may not even say a word. Just give her the cat and return home.

SunshineSally Sun 25-Feb-24 18:47:11

Sorry but I don’t understand why she can’t look after the cat herself. Plenty of people have pets and babies - IMO I think there must be some other reason. You clearly don’t want the cat so just give it back to your daughter and if she doesn’t want the ‘hassle’ of looking after it then she can re home the puss.

BlueBelle Sun 25-Feb-24 18:48:19

Poor cat I don’t understand why it has to leave home I m sure most people that have cats with babies just keep it out the room the baby’s in !!!

SeaWoozle Sun 25-Feb-24 18:48:28

I love my cats!

BUT

I would never inflict them on someone who didn't want to look after them.

You need to set some boundaries regarding this cat, which are entirely reasonable.

She gets all tests for the cat you've asked for.

Grandson visits cat three times a week on his way to/from school.

You should be able to go on your trips. You tell your daughter when you're going and SHE has to arrange for it to go to a cattery or grandson sorts the cat out. As you've already stated, he is entirely capable.

Give her a time frame to get these things done and if she doesn't then you either return the cat to her or take it to a rescue.

By taking in this cat you would be saving her hundreds of pounds in cattery fees.

It's the least she can do. She's only had a baby!

Oh, and she gets to pay for the cat food too.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck 🤗

SueDonim Sun 25-Feb-24 19:06:48

Why can’t the cat live at its home? We’ve always had cats around when I had babies and there was never a problem.

I’d return the cat to its home or tell your dd to book it into a cattery. Or get it rehomed because despite your GS’s claims, it sounds unwanted. sad

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 25-Feb-24 19:48:39

Poor unwanted cat. I don’t understand why it can’t live at home. Obviously your grandson has no interest in it and I don’t think your daughter has either. It would be better off living with someone who actually wants it.

I hate calling the cat ‘it’ but you have given no indication of sex, simply called it ‘cat’..

Poor cat, nothing but an inconvenience to all concerned.

MissAdventure Sun 25-Feb-24 19:50:59

I totally agree.
I dare not say any more.

sodapop Sun 25-Feb-24 19:57:25

Poor cat, it would be kinder to rehome it with someone who actually wants a cat.

As everyone else has said Jane52 take the cat back to your daughter and explain your health precludes you from caring for it.

Gillycats Sun 25-Feb-24 19:57:52

This cat needs rehoming. Nobody wants the poor thing. Get in touch with your local Cat Protection or cat rescue. This poor creature deserves better.

Desdemona Sun 25-Feb-24 20:09:41

The poor cat.

I am convinced animals know when they are unwanted. The poor cat is probably very confused.

Oldbat1 Sun 25-Feb-24 20:09:53

Why can’t your dd have the cat? It is her responsibility.

flappergirl Sun 25-Feb-24 20:28:37

This seems to be the latest trend with young mothers. They cannot possibly have pets within half a mile of a newborn. I read a thread on mumsnet just the other day with women almost fainting at the very thought. One new mother even insisted that every visitor removed their shoes.

My newborn son came home to a small holding with goats, chickens, 2 dogs and 2 cats. It actually gets on my wick.

If your daughter does rehome the cat though OP, please ask her to do it responsibly through a registered shelter or charity. Please don't advertise it on Facebook to a good home. There are some nasty people out there.

Summerlove Sun 25-Feb-24 20:37:06

flappergirl

This seems to be the latest trend with young mothers. They cannot possibly have pets within half a mile of a newborn. I read a thread on mumsnet just the other day with women almost fainting at the very thought. One new mother even insisted that every visitor removed their shoes.

My newborn son came home to a small holding with goats, chickens, 2 dogs and 2 cats. It actually gets on my wick.

If your daughter does rehome the cat though OP, please ask her to do it responsibly through a registered shelter or charity. Please don't advertise it on Facebook to a good home. There are some nasty people out there.

Removing shoes is just good hygiene.

Removing loved furry family members is odd

Glorianny Sun 25-Feb-24 20:43:43

Rehome the cat. It deserves someone who wants it and cares for it and that means getting it regularly checked by a vet, de-flead and wormed.

denbylover Sun 25-Feb-24 20:49:40

Her cat, her problem. Your kindness in taking the cat doesn’t sound to be appreciated. Return cat asap.

maydonoz Sun 25-Feb-24 20:51:55

Hi Jane 52
It's a shame your DD has put you in this situation, insisting on you caring for her cat.
Sometimes we have to say NO to our AC and in this case I would have said a big fat NO.
You have health issues and I'm sure you don't need any of this stress.
You are being pressured by your family and you need to resist.
They won't like it at first but will have to accept it.
I would return the cat to your DD ASAP.
She can then decide how to deal with the poor cat.
Good luck.

Mogsmaw Sun 25-Feb-24 21:12:27

flappergirl

Poor cat!
I had my younger daughter at home. The day she was born my lovely G P came to visit on her way home, she said (she wanted to coo over the baby) I
was in the bed with my new baby, her sister, and the two cat asleep at my feet. I apologise for the cats but she said it was fine, the baby and cats were going to live together so they should start early!

Iam64 Sun 25-Feb-24 21:20:12

The Archers - Hilda. Just saying

Gummie Sun 25-Feb-24 21:47:48

Poor unloved cat. Breaks my heart when people take on pets and won’t care for and love them properly. Your DD should be ashamed of herself. She must try to rehome this kitty to someone who will care for and about it.

Will she try to offload her child as well when it becomes to much trouble.

Callistemon21 Sun 25-Feb-24 22:15:24

Gillycats

This cat needs rehoming. Nobody wants the poor thing. Get in touch with your local Cat Protection or cat rescue. This poor creature deserves better.

Yes, this.
As other posters have suggested too.

How did my DD and my DIL manage with a cat, a baby and one had two dogs as well.
They must be Superwomen!

Callistemon21 Sun 25-Feb-24 22:16:36

Will she try to offload her child as well when it becomes to much trouble
Possibly!