Gransnet forums

AIBU

Gluten Free

(109 Posts)
1summer Mon 12-Feb-24 10:19:02

I am organising a brunch at home for my daughters baby shower - I don’t particularly like them but don’t want daughter to miss out.
I have invited my SIL who has decided she wants to eat a gluten free diet. I told her most things she will be able to eat but could she bring her own gluten free bagel, croissant, bread - whatever she prefers.
Well - she is very upset with me saying to be invited to my house then being asked to bring her own food is rude. She then said could someone pick her up and take her home as it’s only 2 weeks after her knee replacement and won’t be able to drive, she has also asked me to stay with her for a week after her knee replacement to look after her. So I am very good to her.
AIBU to ask someone with dietary requirements to bring own food.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 12-Feb-24 10:25:11

Tbh - if I invite someone to a meal - I don’t then expect them to bring their own food😄😄😄

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 12-Feb-24 10:28:04

I don’t think so, for an occasion like this (I share your dislike) where she will be able to eat most of the food on offer and is only asked to bring a bread-type item. It sounds as though this is a choice rather than a medical necessity. She sounds very entitled and demanding.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 12-Feb-24 10:28:50

I doubt it’s a meal wwm, more of a buffet I would think.

Witzend Mon 12-Feb-24 10:31:27

TBH I’d just provide some gluten free bread, assuming there will be plenty of other GF brunch-y stuff to fill up with - eggs, bacon, smoked salmon, mushrooms - is it going to be largely a ‘bakery’ brunch, though?

kittylester Mon 12-Feb-24 10:32:02

I am gluten intolerant and was upset to be told to bring my own food to a wake. I doubt you would tell a vegetarian or vegan to bring their own food.

ixion Mon 12-Feb-24 10:32:23

We were preparing a food list with the caterers for my mother's funeral when it was pointed out to me that a cousin was gluten-free.
I phoned her in a panic as to how we could cater for her independently of the many others and she replied that she would, of course, bring her own food and that this was what she routinely did for social occasions.

Squiffy Mon 12-Feb-24 10:35:02

I have a gf diet and always offer to provide my own bread/rolls etc when invited for a meal. GF food is expensive and I would not expect my host to buy a whole loaf or pack of rolls, sausage rolls or whatever, as there would be loads left over and they would not necessarily want to eat the leftovers themselves (GF food is an acquired taste!). I would feel uncomfortable if they then offered the leftovers to me to take home.

Casdon Mon 12-Feb-24 10:37:38

It sounds like you see her frequently, so why not buy a gluten free loaf, and put it in the freezer afterwards for when she comes again, that will save you wasting anything and keep her happy too.

Fleur20 Mon 12-Feb-24 10:40:27

My sister in law is celiac, so has a very strict gluten free diet for health.. not by choice. She always carries a gluten free roll or crackers everywhere with her as she cannot risk cross -contamination. It means she can also have something to eat that she knows won't have catastrophic results!
Gluten free breads etc can be very expensive and if this is for just one meal/occasion I can understand from that aspect alone you don't want to buy a whole loaf. Equally your relative would know what bread/ rolls she likes as my sister in law says there is a great variation in the quality/taste of the different brands. She says some are simply awful!!

TinSoldier Mon 12-Feb-24 10:43:37

First of all, gluten can cause inflammation for some people that leads to joint paint. If she has had a knee replacement, there will be post-operative inflammation to deal with. Maybe she wants to reduce the effect of that. Maybe she had been advised to try a gluten free diet to help with other parts of her body where she may have inflammation. Does he have arthritis in her other joints, for example?

Most shops now have a section selling gluten-free food. It isn’t difficult to buy a loaf of gluten-free bread. It’s a bit more expensive but not excessively so. Sainsbury have a Warburtons gluten-free loaf for £2.00.

If you had someone with diabetes coming to lunch or someone who does not eat meat or fish would you not cater for them either?

Casdon Mon 12-Feb-24 10:48:05

I’m gluten free, so if you do decide to buy bread, which I agree is very hit and miss, my current favourite is M&S Made Without Brown Seeded Bread Loaf, which is £2.80 I think. It freezes very well.

MissAdventure Mon 12-Feb-24 10:51:44

For the cost, and the likelihood of it becoming an issue, I'd buy a loaf.

rockgran Mon 12-Feb-24 11:01:25

Unless this is a serious medical requirement I think it is her responsibility to eat what suits her - not yours. I am vegetarian but I don't expect anyone to remember or provide just for me. However, buffets can be a challenge if things are not labelled.

MissInterpreted Mon 12-Feb-24 11:03:55

While I appreciate that for some people, gluten-free is an absolute necessity, the OP does say that her daughter has simply 'decided' to go gluten-free, rather than it being a medical issue. However, under the circumstances, and as others have said, to avoid any arguments, the simplest course of action would just be to buy some gluten-free bread or bagels for her.

TerriBull Mon 12-Feb-24 11:05:53

My granddaughter has to have gluten free products, after she was diagnosed, it became apparent when going to children's parties there wasn't always a lot she could eat, so often she takes some of her own products. When she comes to us I always make sure I have a stash of her favourite items in. Her favourite breakfast is Schar's waffles, so fragile though, I have to be careful putting them in the toaster they're inclined to break up.

Whiff Mon 12-Feb-24 11:08:08

I have 2 friends who can't have gluten and the one can't have eggs. It's not a choice it's for health reasons. So I have learnt to make cakes and biscuits that they both can have . Plus the friend who can't have gluten or eggs will be staying with me this year so will make sure I buy gluten free bread . When I stayed with her the bread she had was lovely from M&S you couldn't tell it was gluten free it was delicious.
If I invite people to my home I always make sure to give them things I know they like. It's only polite. And when I stay with friends they have things I can and like to eat.

Theexwife Mon 12-Feb-24 11:13:40

If I was entertaining a group of people I would get a gluten free loaf.

I dont see what is wrong with her asking for a lift if she has an injury. Compared with staying with her after the op providing some bread is not that big a deal.

Callistemon21 Mon 12-Feb-24 11:17:44

kittylester

I am gluten intolerant and was upset to be told to bring my own food to a wake. I doubt you would tell a vegetarian or vegan to bring their own food.

I agree although I know my DD often take gf food or snacks when they go somewhere because some people just do not understand what gluten-free means and to eat ny gluten could mean becoming very ill indeed.
Eg, one has been asked "Can you eat meat?" 🤔

If you're preparing a buffet, is it any more trouble to buy some gf bread or a bagel?

First of all, gluten can cause inflammation for some people that leads to joint paint
Yes, it can
Eating gluten can cause severe illness, anaphylactic shock and possible hospitalisation for someone who is coeliac. I have a friend who is not coeliac but passes out of she eats gluten.

Perhaps you know someone else who could give her a lift as you are busy hosting?

Callistemon21 Mon 12-Feb-24 11:19:01

Casdon

It sounds like you see her frequently, so why not buy a gluten free loaf, and put it in the freezer afterwards for when she comes again, that will save you wasting anything and keep her happy too.

That makes sense.

Callistemon21 Mon 12-Feb-24 11:22:28

1summer
I'm with you on baby showers, though! I'd just keep the food simple, don't stress.
Hope it goes well.

PernillaVanilla Mon 12-Feb-24 11:22:36

I wouldn’t invite someone to a gathering and not cater for them. There is a huge selection of gluten free food in Tesco and all other supermarkets, just buy some and freeze any leftovers for when she visits again. You can ask which brand she prefers.

jenpax Mon 12-Feb-24 11:24:45

kittylester

Sadly as a vegan (previously vegetarian) I can confirm I have been asked to provide my own food on these types of occasions 😳

Saxifrage Mon 12-Feb-24 11:28:47

I am coeliac and so often take gluten free bread, biscuits or cakes with me when I visit. It is often the best way to to do it. I get something I fancy eating and am not left feeling hungry or irritated. Close friends often have a supply always available. One goes to great lengths and often cooks a super GF cake when I go. Others haven't got a clue so I prefer to be prepared.

1summer Mon 12-Feb-24 11:46:19

Thank you for the comments, maybe I am being unreasonable. Just to clarify she is not coeliac, she thinks gluten gives her digestive problems. But she admits if offered really nice bread when out she will accept and in Spain last year she ate all the Spanish bread as she thinks it is made differently and doesn’t bother her tummy!!
I know she keeps GF Bagels in her freezer so I didn’t think I was being unreasonable to ask her to bring one.
On the other hand a friend of my daughter sent me a lovely acceptance note saying she was Vegan but for me not to cater for her as was more than happy to bring her own food.
Oh well off to buy GF bagels. 😀