Gransnet forums

AIBU

Children moving back in?

(104 Posts)
keepingquiet Fri 09-Feb-24 16:41:59

Just wondering as this is becoming more and more common it deserves a category of its own?

I'm wanting to encourage my son to be making plans to move out after a year of being here and looking for sensible advice from others who have managed or failed in doing this?

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 09-Feb-24 16:44:19

How old is he and why did he need to move back in with you?

paddyann54 Fri 09-Feb-24 17:03:41

I had one of mine back when his relationship broke up...she was sleeping with someone else.He most likely would have shared with a friend only he had a baby girl who came home with him...for half of every week ,so here they stayed for 10 years until he met someone who loved them both.Wouldn't have changed it for the world,my GD is almost 15 now and still has a room here where she comes and brings friends for sleepovers she is a joy and a delight as is her 4 year old sister and a new baby on the way .

dogsmother Fri 09-Feb-24 17:12:36

Two of mine did to save mortgage deposits. Not a problem.

Greenfinch Fri 09-Feb-24 17:20:35

I had one of mine back when his relationship broke up 25 years ago and he is still here! We also had our twin grandchildren ( his nephew and niece) for 5 years. Three generations in one house. It was great and we were really sad when the twins left. They have their own bedrooms here and our granddaughter frequently stays the night. Everyone is welcome to stay as long as they like.

Sparklefizz Fri 09-Feb-24 17:48:01

My son moved back after graduation, ostensibly for 3 months but eventually nearly a year.

However, he did his own washing and ironing, shopped for and cooked his own meals, and actually I hardly saw him but when I did I enjoyed his company.

eazybee Fri 09-Feb-24 17:52:43

Charge adult children a market rent and make sure they pay their full share of household expenses.
Make them pay to have the drive enlarged to park their cars off the road.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 09-Feb-24 17:55:00

My son is very unlikely to want to move back but he is always welcome here, wherever I live will always be his home too. He works hard and is very self sufficient but I guess if you have a son who doesn’t work/earn much, pull his weight or pay his way it must be very difficult.

Sara1954 Fri 09-Feb-24 17:55:40

One daughter and three grandchildren home for three years, now happily married to a lovely man, but the children have kept their rooms here, it’s their second home.
There were challenges along the way, but I’d do it again.
Don’t be in too much of a rush to get rid of him.

TerriBull Fri 09-Feb-24 18:05:12

I've had mine backwards and forwards from time to time for various reasons. One son when his relationship with the mother of his children broke down, and then again a few years down the line when he had a bad accident and was in hospital for a while in the aftermath of that he lived with us. Now, having fully recovered he tends to bring his children down to us every other week end, we have more room than he does, they both have their own rooms here. My younger son came back to us for a couple of years after he'd graduated. When I first got together with my husband his then teen- aged children would have periods of living with us on and off, not for long periods though. The older one would stay with us when he was in his first year at university, because he said he could study better in our house than on campus, but I think it was because he had an unlimited supply of food at his disposal grin which was probably an eye opener as to how much boys/young men consume! all good training for what was to come down the line. Well as the saying goes dogs kids are for life not just for Christmas.

Poppyred Fri 09-Feb-24 18:05:29

Two of mine moved back in with their partners and one baby at the same time for about twelve months. I nearly had a breakdown!

All happily settled in their own homes now.

Witzend Fri 09-Feb-24 18:07:59

Both DDs moved back for at least a year or two after graduating. Once they were earning we charged them roughly half of what they’d have had to pay for a flatshare locally - rent only, no bills.
We enjoyed having them - there were no ‘issues’.

This was quite a while ago now, though, and we did eventually help them both with house purchase deposits.

Ours is still their ‘other’ home, though, where they’ll always be welcome.

tanith Fri 09-Feb-24 18:34:51

My son came and went a couple of times till he moved permanently abroad. My eldest daughter after her relationship ended. She was with us for 3 years and she contributed to bills. I was very happy to give her a place to recoup and replan her life it was a very sad time for her. She still hasn’t got a forever home but she knows she’s welcome to my spare room should she need it again.

keepingquiet Fri 09-Feb-24 18:38:38

Thanks everyone- some very positive responses here. Of course, I do want my son to have his own place as he did before, but circumstances mean it can't really happen for a while.
I sometimes have to remind myself how far we have both come and after a chat this evening it looks as if he'll be in a much better place in six moths or so. I think communication is key and we let that slip in the past few weeks. Now feeling much better that we can carry on as we are for now, and seeing his daughter too tomorrow which is great. She loves coming here.

Casdon Fri 09-Feb-24 18:46:17

My son is in his mid twenties and lives with me currently. He’s saving for a deposit for his first home. I wouldn’t dream of him paying market rent when he can be saving that money for his future home, but he pays for his share of the food and household bills. He is good company, and is working though, and I’m sure I would feel differently if he was living off me rather than living with me.

VioletSky Fri 09-Feb-24 18:52:41

My children always have a home here

Sawitch Fri 09-Feb-24 18:55:24

My DS is 37 and hasn’t left home yet! He doesn’t earn a great wage and can’t afford to live alone. Once the rent was paid there would be very little left for bills and other living costs. I can’t see the situation changing any time soon, but he’s no bother and it’s handy to have home here, even if just to look after the dog when I’m away.

NotSpaghetti Fri 09-Feb-24 19:00:37

My adult children also have a home here... always.

But it's nice for everyone when they have their own.
Two of mine have come back for short periods but it was lovely getting the house back.
I've never had grandchildren living with us. I think that would be hard work but would obviously do it if needed.

Sara1954 Fri 09-Feb-24 20:11:28

We never took any money from our daughter because we wanted her to be able to save. We also helped out financially with the children.
I would find it hard to take money from any of my children, but i also know she would do anything to help us if necessary.
I can’t pretend there weren’t times when I thought I’d kill for a bit of peace and quiet, but I miss them now.

annodomini Fri 09-Feb-24 20:27:39

Mine both came back - with partners - after working overseas. They eventually moved south (I was in Cheshire), followed by the two partners who are still my very good friends, though one is now divorced from DS1. After leaving Cheshire to come south to be closer to the family, I was amply repaid by being welcomed to stay, for 6 months, with DS1 and DiL(2) while the flat I bought was fully refurbished. It has all worked out perfectly for all of us.

M0nica Fri 09-Feb-24 20:53:37

Casdon Take the money, but put it aside to give them when they move out as help towardsa depeosit to buy or rent or furnish.

Ours came back for short periods in te few years after starting wirk and DD lived with us when she sold her flat an could't complete on her house for 6 weeks.

Both she and us are on the cusp of moving at the moment. Both moves are slightly complicated and as we will be quite close to each othe, we are joking as to whether she might end up living with us for a few months or we may end up living with her temporally

biglouis Sat 10-Feb-24 00:15:36

I would have cut my throat with a rusty saw rather than move back in with my parents once I left home. Fortunately it was never necessary.

If I had been of a mind to have children I would have kicked them out at 18 to stand on their own feet. Moving out of your parents home is an important step in becoming an adult.

65KL Sat 10-Feb-24 04:05:39

Help your children out if they need you , but encouraging them to independence as soon as possible is healthy . Make him pay towards costs a definite ( rent ? proparbly not )

maddyone Sat 10-Feb-24 04:11:49

eazybee

Charge adult children a market rent and make sure they pay their full share of household expenses.
Make them pay to have the drive enlarged to park their cars off the road.

We never did that. All three of ours moved back at different stages of their lives after university. None of them live with us now.

mumofmadboys Sat 10-Feb-24 07:23:05

Ours are boomerang children. We are happy to be their safety net when they need help.