Gransnet forums

AIBU

Outrageous selfishness

(99 Posts)
M0nica Mon 05-Feb-24 09:46:59

I shouldn't really be on this thread. Its not my unreasonableness I am questioning, but someone elses.

DH belongs to an amateur operatic group 15 miles away. After 65 years of performing, directing, making props, etc etc for various groups, DH decided that this year was his last year. His health has not been good and it was time to retire. This years's show would be his last

For the last two years,however, a non driving member of the group who lives even further away and came in with a neighbour, has started expecting DH to go on a 10 mile detour to give him a lift when the neighbour, also elderly and ill, wasn't available.

When it was occasional DH didn't mind, but it was almost doubling his round trip to rehearsal and in the last year his health hasn't been good. Despite this the man still kept asking for lifts.

Three weeks ago DH collapsed at a rehearsal, was brought home and ended up being rushed to hospital and having a pacemaker fitted, talk about miracles! The difference overnight in his energy levels and activity was miraculous. However he had decided to drop out of the opera he was directing, but earlier last week, feeling much better he decided he could manage to conduct the three performances so that his career ended with a bang not a whimper. By the third night he was exhausted, but I was there and I was driving.

As we were walking back to the car after the performance, the sponger (as DH calls him) and daughter walked with us. I assumed that either his daughter had a car or someone else was giving them a lift home. When we got to our car, they stopped too. DH and I each opened a back passenger door, to put various bits and pieces on the back seat.

As we did the faces of the sponger and daughter absolutely collapsed and I realised that despite not asking us or taking into account my DH's exhaustion, which was obvious, they were expecting us to give them a lift home, an extra 10 miles on a 15 mile journey.

I just turned to them and said 'DH is exhausted I need to get him home and get him to bed, I cannot give you a lift' and got in and drove off. I was absolutely furious, that knowing how ill DH still was and how he was pushing himself to complete that final performance they still just assumed that we would go miles out our way to get them home. Didn't even ask!

I do not know how they gor home yesterday, and I do not really care. But as an example of monumental selfishness, it takes a lot of beating.

AGAA4 Mon 05-Feb-24 09:56:38

The usual 'takers' who expect others to go out of their way for them. Haven't they heard of buses or taxis?
Selfish in the extreme.

Lollin Mon 05-Feb-24 10:04:25

I’m fuming just reading what happened M0nica Well done on your quick action!

Grandmabatty Mon 05-Feb-24 10:04:30

I would have been seething. A suitable response from you! I hope your DH feels better soon

25Avalon Mon 05-Feb-24 10:04:51

How did they get there? Up to them to find their own way back. Good for you M0nica they had taken advantage of your dh’s kind nature for too long. Did they even ask how he was?

keepcalmandcavachon Mon 05-Feb-24 10:05:02

Oh Monica, I feel so cross for you and your husband, the sheer lack of empathy! To be taken for granted like that is dreadful. People like that make you feel like not bothering at all. Such good, positive news that your husband is feeling so much better, take good care of each other and the free loaders can b*gger offflowers

Grammaretto Mon 05-Feb-24 10:06:58

How did they get there? They'll just have to sponge off someone else.
I'm glad you kept strong for DH M0nica and got him home as quickly as possible.

Calendargirl Mon 05-Feb-24 10:07:58

Some people’s cheek just beggars belief, doesn’t it?

Good for you MOnica.

Hope your DH enjoys his ‘retirement’ and his health improves.

Gwyllt Mon 05-Feb-24 10:31:32

Think we have all met people like that
Hope you feel better for getting it off your chest.

annsixty Mon 05-Feb-24 10:32:13

This has been happening to a friend of mine so I can feel your anger and frustration M0nica

My friend is 82 and slightly disabled.
A friend of hers who goes to the same church and also belongs to Inner Wheel and another church group has almost started pestering my friend to be picked up for every occasion.
She doesn’t just live round the corner but several miles away and mostly in the opposite direction from the event.
She doesn’t just ask for a lift for herself but for others.
This woman could perfectly well afford taxis, she is very comfortably off.

Last week after going well out of her way to take two of them home my friend was involved in an accident.
That has truly made up her mind.

I hope your H makes a good recovery from his illness Monica and good for you for putting him first.

henetha Mon 05-Feb-24 10:36:16

I'm furious on your behalf, MOnica. How dare they!
I do hope DH can now relax and enjoy retirement.

henetha Mon 05-Feb-24 10:36:59

PS. A similar thing is the reason I left U3A.

Shinamae Mon 05-Feb-24 10:39:46

Bloody cheek! 🤬

Whiff Mon 05-Feb-24 10:42:38

MOnica brilliant 👏👏👏👏. Some people have a dam nerve. Hope your husband had a good night's sleep . But he finished on a high. Great that the pace maker has helped.

Hope he enjoys his retirement from his am dram and he looks back on all his has achieved with pride.

Unfortunately there are a lot of takers in this world . Hope they had to get a taxi which cost a fortune.

woodenspoon Mon 05-Feb-24 10:43:01

It’s lucky you were there and stopped them getting into the car! My husband knew two men one of whom had his friend pick him up and drive him to the pub every week and then return him home so that his driving licence wasn’t compromised. The other man still does this every week. Utterly selfish.

Cabbie21 Mon 05-Feb-24 10:45:37

They were being totally unreasonable, selfish and inconsiderate. Good response, Monica.

pascal30 Mon 05-Feb-24 10:47:22

Your husband sounds supremely selfless, thank goodness he has you by his side..

Callistemon21 Mon 05-Feb-24 10:51:28

My jaw dropped as I was reading this!!

Giving a lift to a non-driving neighbour or someone who lives nearby is one thing but that really took the biscuit.
What a nerve!

Well done M0nica and well done to your DH too for managing making sure "the show went on".

Luckygirl3 Mon 05-Feb-24 10:57:31

My DD had a "friend" who put upon her all the time. Because DD and her OH run their own business from home, she could not grasp that when DD was home she was working and not just lazing about and available to look after the "friend"s children whenever it suited her. It used to make me furious. DD eventually found a way to put a stop to it, but the cheek of it just blew my mind. Well done for standing up for your OH's well-being.

Knitandnatter Mon 05-Feb-24 11:00:58

Well, the very nerve of some people!!
Congratulation Monica, it sounds as though you handled that beautifully and I hope your DH is improving daily.

Quite how some individuals think they can sponge off other is beyond me. Helping out occasionally isn't a problem in my opinion but when folk expect a personal service because they are so full of self-importance, that is a different matter.

Serendipity22 Mon 05-Feb-24 11:09:37

What !!!!!!!

😠

Bella23 Mon 05-Feb-24 11:15:04

Well done for your quick thinking MOnica and I hope your husband is getting better every day . He knows he has a very supportive wife.
`I think we have all had or known of incidents like this but not all are quick enough to put a stop to it.
I gave a lift for quite a few years to someone for work lectures thinking her husband had their car. One snowy week I phoned and said I was going straight home, she persuaded me the roads would be clear.
After a very slippery journey back and a considerable detour to her house. We arrived to find her husband's car on their drive and she said that it was his half day. So she could have had his car all along. flowers

Doodledog Mon 05-Feb-24 11:15:28

I agree that these people are entitled in the extreme, but I do wish that public transport was much better than it is. So many things are out of the reach of people who don't drive, and can't afford taxis. This doesn't only affect the people concerned, but limits attendees (and this viability) of clubs and associations, reduces the number of customers and clients of shops and services, and generally reduces the quality of life for many.

It probably also results in a lot of people continuing to drive beyond the stage when they should probably give up.

I also hope that your husband's health continues to improve, M0nica.

Witzend Mon 05-Feb-24 12:10:43

I’d have been livid too, MOnica.
I hope your dh is well rested now.

MN has an excellent term for such people - cheeky fuckers, commonly referred to as CFs. Sad to say, there is an awful lot of CF-ery about.

Nanatoone Mon 05-Feb-24 12:16:00

Well done Monica for standing up to these freeloaders. Doing a favour is one thing but this is quite another.