Gransnet forums

AIBU

Living your best life

(34 Posts)
NanaTuesday Fri 26-Jan-24 23:42:14

After the loss of good friends quite a lot younger than us & one especially close friend in December we are taking 2024 by its horns
2024 already has a full calendar.
Including from random nights out like tonight at a tiny local venue with live music &. cocktails where we were the eldest customers by 30 years at least !
We have tickets for Billy Joel in Cardiff for us both & Tom Jones for myself & my Sister . A 4 week trip to French France with our Fur Babies & a trip with my siblings in the panning . Oh the list goes on . So far we have managed a Murder Mystery night last week & the cinema without cancelling which is a bonus after the cancelled plans in Nova & December., or rebooking plus meals with friends.
I know we are lucky that we can do all these things . But what are your plans for 2024?
I should add that I was born I. ‘53 my DH yes we need to live our best lives now .

NotSpaghetti Sat 27-Jan-24 01:05:45

Have fun!
You are doing what gives you pleasure so that's great.

OldFrill Sat 27-Jan-24 01:13:49

I've been living my best life since I left my parents' home a zillion years ago. Good luck with living yours x

crazyH Sat 27-Jan-24 01:22:24

I’d better get my skates on - i’m slightly older than you !!

crazyH Sat 27-Jan-24 01:23:53

Oldfrill - I get the feeling your parents cramped your style 😂

Whiff Sat 27-Jan-24 05:17:54

NanaTuesday my husband made me promise to live the best life I could. Plus other things but was the main one. He died in 2004.aged 47. But I couldn't do that until I moved to the north west in 2019 as I had both parents and mother in law to look after until they died. I existed where I used to live. But since my move I live my life to the full .And the times flies by. Have more friends I can rely on ,wonderful neighbours and family close by.

Even going on holiday this year first one since 2005. And for the first time since my husband died I am not worrying about running out of money as last year after 35 years of trying to get disability benefits I was awarded enhanced PIP for living and mobility indefinitely plus having UC and health UC. I will get my state pension in April the UC will stop but will get full state pension. And my husband's 30 years of full NI contributions will give me 48p per week 🤬.

My life is full. I was born disabled but it was my fit healthy husband who died from cancer. But that's life. Only 2 certainties in life we are born we die the rest is up to us.
Do everything you want to do now money permitting as none of use know how long we have to live. And take joy in the simple things and be happy.

Katyj Sat 27-Jan-24 08:24:21

Oh this sounds fabulous I hope you have the best time. We’re not far off your ages and can’t wait to get started this year. The last five years have been awful, my mum has been in and out of hospital, but has recently gone into a care home, so we’re hoping for more freedom.
Just need to get her flat cleared first, then we’re off !

Marydoll Sat 27-Jan-24 08:39:22

I planned to live my best life when I retired. However, things don't always work out that way.
We had so many plans, then chronic ill health meant I was deemed unfit to work.
It was also a huge financial blow, as I was too young to receive state pension and I had an excellent salary, which meant we were comfortably off.

Dont leave living your dreams until it's too late, live them NOW!!

Katyj Sat 27-Jan-24 08:45:27

Wise words Marydoll. Just hoping we haven’t waited too long🤞 All the best to you flowers

Marydoll Sat 27-Jan-24 09:31:11

It's amazing how you adapt to a different life. Small pleasures can still bring joy!

Cabbie21 Sat 27-Jan-24 09:32:07

Not sure about “ living my best life” but I have booked four short breaks for 2024. Two are short coach tours, two are choral courses. All in the UK. Something to look forward to and I hope to meet friendly people. Maybe I will plan something bigger for the following year.
Meanwhile I still have lots to do sorting the house and dealing with my husband’s estate.

Urmstongran Sat 27-Jan-24 09:39:00

This comes to mind for some of us.
So you go for it NanaTuesday!

kittylester Sat 27-Jan-24 09:57:23

I agree with finding pleasure in the small things. It isn't necessary to be off on trips and holidays.

I love my gentle but busy life.

Cabbie21 Sat 27-Jan-24 15:50:19

True, but it helps when you have spent months sorting stuff at home in what seems like never ending chaos. My first trip will be to leave the house free for the decorator so it is a major target for me to reach just a year after DH died.

Witzend Sat 27-Jan-24 15:53:25

Each to their own, but I no longer enjoy endlessly charging hither and thither. I do a fair bit outside the house, but my ‘best life’ nowadays needs quite a lot of lovely P&Q at home.

GirlyGran Sat 27-Jan-24 16:35:09

I am nearibg the end of cancer treatment and all signs point to very successful outcome. We plan to live life to the fullest after this.

Judy54 Sat 27-Jan-24 17:03:15

Living your best life is doing whatever makes you happy. This can be small things like going for a walk, reading a good book or cooking a lovely meal. If you are fit and able to then yes a nice weekend break or a holiday fits the bill.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 27-Jan-24 17:10:44

We must be twins, Witzend.

Callistemon21 Sat 27-Jan-24 17:31:36

Marydoll

I planned to live my best life when I retired. However, things don't always work out that way.
We had so many plans, then chronic ill health meant I was deemed unfit to work.
It was also a huge financial blow, as I was too young to receive state pension and I had an excellent salary, which meant we were comfortably off.

Dont leave living your dreams until it's too late, live them NOW!!

Yes, I agree!
We don't know what's waiting for us round the corner.

But I don't feel quite up to whizzing around

keepcalmandcavachon Sat 27-Jan-24 17:39:21

Oh NanaTuesday Sounds fabulous, what a wonderful year you will have. Enjoy every minute. I fear you might think my life is rather tame - mostly walking in the countryside, visiting little villages and churches and crafting . All with my little dog by my side though, so I really feel I am living my best (quiet). life. I think if you count your blessings and try to make the most of things you are living your best life smile

SeaWoozle Wed 14-Feb-24 23:57:22

We're moving to the seaside soon and I can't wait. After losing friends too young and too soon and ill health affecting others, we're planning to do a monster trip to Austin, Texas and New Zealand next year to visit relatives I worry about greatly as they get older. We're also looking at Canada together and myself and my daughters are hoping to go to Iceland and Germany next year as well,though gawd knows when! I'm not done resting just yet. Adventuring has only just begun!

Doodledog Thu 15-Feb-24 00:12:14

GirlyGran

I am nearibg the end of cancer treatment and all signs point to very successful outcome. We plan to live life to the fullest after this.

That’s great to hear, GirlyGran. Enjoy your plans.

M0nica Thu 15-Feb-24 12:33:12

I do not think anybody ever lives their 'best life'. In fact I am not even sure that there is such a thing as a 'best life'

Every life will have constrictions on their life, The OP is optimally using her financial resources to enjoy life, but if she had more money wouldn't she live an even 'better' life?

Purplepixie Thu 15-Feb-24 12:39:50

I’m living my best life now as well.

I was married to a wife beating pig for far too many years and finally got away. Then met a mind game nitwit and again, stayed too long. Got away from him and met my lovely husband and we have been together now for 18 years.

We visited USA for a month last year plus lots of holidays. THEN I had to have a hysterectomy on 22nd January and I am recovering now. We have lots of things planned for after April.

Live your life when you can because you do not know what is around the corner. Cheers! sunshine wine flowers

Marydoll Thu 15-Feb-24 14:36:06

M0nica

I do not think anybody ever lives their 'best life'. In fact I am not even sure that there is such a thing as a 'best life'

Every life will have constrictions on their life, The OP is optimally using her financial resources to enjoy life, but if she had more money wouldn't she live an even 'better' life?

Best life for me means making the most of your life within your limitations, not wallowing and feeling sorry for yourself. It is a waste of time and energy to have regrets, I can't change anything.
I foolishly used to think I had plenty time to fulfil my dreams.
However, there are positives.

•I may no longer be able to travel abroad since obtaining
travel insurance is now impossible, so instead, I have
short breaks in the UK , when I am well enough.
•I can enjoy travel abroad by watching YouTube videos.
•I may no longer be working, but that means I get to see so
much more of my family.
•I am no longer stressed on a Sunday night, worrying
about the coming week.
•I am not spending my weekends preparing coursework.
•I have time for my hobbies.
•I can go out to lunch midweek.

I had so many plans, then it unexpectedly went pearshaped one Friday morning in November 2014 at an R.A clinic. It is etched in my mind.
I wasn't prepared for my working life coming to an end so abruptly and it went downhill after that.

So I am spending my best life, because I have come to a level of acceptance and what I have now is precious.