Gransnet forums

AIBU

Have you ever driven on automatic pilot to the wrong place?

(41 Posts)
Bella23 Fri 26-Jan-24 10:36:36

When I worked I made the same journey every day. One day I could smell fish fingers and realised I was in the city center.
I had taken the wrong route in my village gone around two roundabouts, filtered onto a very busy dual carriageway with lorries heading for the docks and driven 8 miles. All because my mind was on work.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 26-Jan-24 10:40:53

Yes, I was going to Lakeside and found myself on the QE 11 bridge heading towards Bluewater, I had wondered why my mum in the front passenger had been sniggering quietly for five minutes.

V3ra Fri 26-Jan-24 10:47:03

Oh yes! Doing the school run and took a wrong turn, then had to go all the way round a roundabout to get back on track.
The children were delighted, and for weeks afterwards would say,
"V3ra do you remember when you went the wrong way, and we had to go all the way round and back again?" 😃😃😃

Witzend Fri 26-Jan-24 11:39:45

Well, it wasn’t me of course - it was the car on autopilot to Heathrow - so used to taking me there to pick dh up - it must have thought I was heading the wrong way by mistake.

Chocolatelovinggran Fri 26-Jan-24 11:42:57

I drove home, down the drive, parked, then realised that I had sold this house some weeks before. I backed out sharpish, trying to look nonchalant.

Witzend Fri 26-Jan-24 11:44:05

Chocolatelovinggran

I drove home, down the drive, parked, then realised that I had sold this house some weeks before. I backed out sharpish, trying to look nonchalant.

😂😂

tanith Fri 26-Jan-24 11:44:51

I once drove to the wrong workplace. I’d been reassigned to start my day at a different depot and on Monday a few weeks later I drove through very heavy traffic to my old depot, understandable I think as I had been stationed there for over 18 yrs. I was an hour late starting my shift.

WonderfulLife Fri 26-Jan-24 12:01:57

Like my friend says, her car knows it's way to it's destination.

MaizieD Fri 26-Jan-24 12:13:13

I don't think I've ever driven all the way to the wrong place, but I've been well on the way before realising my mistake and retracing my steps.

pascal30 Fri 26-Jan-24 14:11:22

I can remember driving to my son's school and waiting outside before realising I didn't need to be there.. it was completely automatic

Bella23 Fri 26-Jan-24 14:20:01

I'm glad I'm not the only one, looking back it is quite frightening, the road I was on was dualled and very busy right through the city to where DH worked, I could have been very late for the 9 o'clock start.

AGAA4 Fri 26-Jan-24 14:39:30

A few weeks after we moved my dad drove to our old house. Got out his key and tried to open the door. The new owner came to the door and dad had to explain what he had done. Luckily the man thought it was funny. We always called dad the absent minded professor.

Joseann Fri 26-Jan-24 15:37:40

I didn't even get as far as driving off!
I had a lefthand drive car for many years in France. Once back in the UK I came out of Sainsburys, offloaded my shopping in the boot, and went and sat in the passenger seat of my new English car to start the engine and hold the steering wheel. The people around me must have wondered.

kircubbin2000 Fri 26-Jan-24 15:38:52

I was driving home one day through 6 roundabouts when I suddenly realised I didn't know where I was. The turns all look the same.

Greyduster Fri 26-Jan-24 15:48:31

After I retired, I used to drive over to DD’s to look after GS who was then a tiny baby. I had to pass the place I used to work and twice, I found myself outside the office building, in the parking space that still had my name on it!!

crazyH Fri 26-Jan-24 16:02:39

Yes - doing the school run - reached the junction leading to my DD’s house but didn’t realise where I was. Mind went blank. I stopped. And then my GC said “Nan, why are you stopping? - you’ve got to turn left here”. and embarrassingly said “ooh yes, I know that” - I was much younger then, but it did worry me to the point where I made an appointment with the GP, who reassured me .

sodapop Fri 26-Jan-24 16:15:40

Yes a long time ago now. I used to take my children to school every day then they changed schools and could get there under their own steam. A couple of times I found myself driving towards their old school for no reason.

Aldom Fri 26-Jan-24 18:18:06

Years ago my husband and I drove about 80 miles to visit my husband's much loved brother in law, who was ill in hospital. On arrival at the ward we were told he had died a few hours ago.
Obviously we were in shock as we left for the family home. I was driving. After a couple of miles I pulled up behind the car in front as the driver pulled onto his own drive. It was then that I realised that in my shocked state, I simply been following the car in front, rather than consciously driving to our destination.

henetha Fri 26-Jan-24 18:22:52

Yes. A year or two ago I found myself in the little seaside town of Sidmouth without having any intention of going there. I think it was the wrong turning off a roundabout and just didn't realise for quite a while.

Callistemon21 Fri 26-Jan-24 18:27:32

Yes, and I was only in my 20s when I did that.

Every morning I picked up a work colleague who was also a friend; the route to work was around the edge of town and out into the country.

One Saturday I picked her up to go shopping.
When we arrived at work I said "What on earth are we doing here, we were supposed to go into town?"
I must have been on auto-pilot.

Chocolatelovinggran A man walked into DS and DIL's house, said "what am I doing here?" and walked out again. It was the previous owner.

valdavi Fri 26-Jan-24 18:32:34

I've arrived at work, on time, supposed to be there, all fine, only to hear a little voice from the back saying " you forgot to take me to school"!

Callistemon21 Fri 26-Jan-24 20:56:14

valdavi

I've arrived at work, on time, supposed to be there, all fine, only to hear a little voice from the back saying " you forgot to take me to school"!

🤣🤣🤣

Kim19 Fri 26-Jan-24 21:02:29

Oh yes, I've done the unintended/remote destination. So glad I'm not alone!

NfkDumpling Fri 26-Jan-24 21:05:15

When we moved house fifteen miles away I found it very difficult to re-orientate myself and it was many months until I stopped driving home via my old home. At least I never actually drove into the drive.

Greyisnotmycolour Mon 29-Jan-24 10:16:05

Not sure if this counts but worth a laugh , I once drove to work only to realise I hadn't dropped my toddler at nursery.