Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sorry rant alert…….AIBU? Please join in.

(171 Posts)
Sago Tue 23-Jan-24 09:10:45

Firstly, I am sick of our “lovely guests” at our holiday let who steal; Bluetooth speaker, coffee table books, wheat packs, hand soap dispensers, wooden coat hangers and dishwasher/laundry tablets.

Secondly, restaurants that serve food in a tower! You can’t see what you’ve got,the food goes cold quickly as it’s not touching the warm plate and it’s not 1986 anymore.
The same restaurants usually can’t manage to get the condiments on the table until 10 minutes after the food arrives!
You don’t ask if the customer wants mustard when the food is in front of them, you make sure everything is there so the customer can eat straight away.

Finally, reviews, I am being asked to review EVERYTHING, the item, the delivery of the item and the post purchase customer service, from paper napkins to loo roll, please just stop.

I could go on, but please feel free to rant with me this grey Tuesday.

AIBU?

Oh a PS, people who read threads like this and come out with “ but there’s people starving etc etc.
It’s light hearted!

Mel1967 Tue 23-Jan-24 09:16:34

Cars that don’t indicate at roundabouts or just don’t indicate full stop 😠

Aveline Tue 23-Jan-24 09:18:33

Well firstly sago nobody likes a thief so you're quite right to be cross about people stealing from your holiday let.
Re food. I'm not so sure. Personally, I'm not bothered about hot plates and don't use condiments. So when it comes to food in restaurants I'm not with you on that.

Aveline Tue 23-Jan-24 09:20:32

I should say that I'm a keen reviewer and always say what my exact thoughts were. Ask me to review goods or services if you're hard enough to take negatives along with the positives.

Sparklefizz Tue 23-Jan-24 09:22:56

I've given up reviewing anything as the requests have all got out of hand.

Sago I'm sorry about your guests at your holiday let. That's disgraceful. My husband mistakenly packed a tea towel from a holiday cottage. We had taken our own and he thought it was one of ours. When I unpacked, I felt awful and washed it and posted it back. The cottage owner sent me a very shocked and surprised email.

Faierynan Tue 23-Jan-24 09:28:11

Sago I so agree with you. When we go for a coffee we hardly get out of the door before they are asking our views

Charleygirl5 Tue 23-Jan-24 09:31:01

Amazon barely give me time to get the item out of the packaging and one cannot review hand cream for sore hands in 3 hours.

Morrison has started this also- my last reply was that I was under the impression that was that person's job. She had been pleasant, polite and sorted out the problem which had nothing to do with me.

Poppyred Tue 23-Jan-24 09:32:08

Serving food on a slate or piece of wood 🤔🙄 we’re not in the Middle Ages!
Drivers who don’t look right at roundabouts. 😡
Companies who ask for a review a few hours after you’ve bought something. 🤨

MayBee70 Tue 23-Jan-24 09:32:18

Driving south on the M1 on Saturday I was shocked at how many people pull onto a motorway and immediately move over to the outside lane. I’m sure they don’t have time to process what cars are in the middle and outside lanes or the speed at which cars in those lanes are going.

Patsy70 Tue 23-Jan-24 09:36:37

I am sad to hear that your holiday guests steal from you Sago, it must be so disheartening when you welcome people into your home and they sink so low. I dislike hot food being served on cold plates, and would send it back. Also Mel cars that either don’t indicate at roundabouts, or indicate right when they’re taking the last exit, and continue to do so when they turn left! 🙄. I am always delighted when I receive good service, be it in a shop, restaurant, holiday let or hotel, and write very positive reviews after thanking people personally.

Grannybags Tue 23-Jan-24 09:37:11

I agree with all the comments. Stealing from holiday home is awful

Also cars parked on the pavement

Desdemona Tue 23-Jan-24 09:39:52

Nothing posted so far is unreasonable at all!

I hate it when I pick up a newspaper in the supermarket and a pile of junk leaflets fall out on the floor and I haven't got the energy or mobility to bend down and pick them up!!

If I want a stair lift, a walk in shower or to donate to charity I will seek the relevant information out for myself thanks.

Chestnut Tue 23-Jan-24 09:44:15

Regarding the stolen items, can you take a refundable deposit in the same way as a house or flat rental would? You can always explain this is to cover loss or damage.

I'm with you on the reviews, they are so annoying. They never ask what I want to tell them, so it's a frustrating experience.

Salti Tue 23-Jan-24 09:46:37

Drivers who don't accelerate away from traffic lights immediately they go green. There's a set near here that changes so quickly only three or four cars have time to get through but dilly-dallyers can reduce that to one.

Roadworks that are in situ for weeks but where a worker is rarely seen.

NotSpaghetti Tue 23-Jan-24 09:49:23

I agree with lots of these but can't see the problem of swiftly moving over into a fast/faster lane.
You usually have a long sliproad and usually can build up speed to slip onto the motorway. New people on a motorway can look what's coming just as they can when they have been on it a while.

annsixty Tue 23-Jan-24 09:50:56

The current phase for “requesting “ tips when paying for service by card in restaurants and even small coffee shops.
The machine requests either 10%,12:5% or 15% to be added to the payment.
I will tip the amount I decide on service received.
Almost as bad as 12.% already added.

Freya5 Tue 23-Jan-24 09:51:09

Pedestrians trying to duck and dive over a busy road, when there is a perfectly good pelican crossing a few feet away. Drivers not indicating properly on roundabouts, or not indicating at all. Drivers not knowing how to use filter lanes correctly. Stealing is abhorrent.

NfkDumpling Tue 23-Jan-24 09:52:54

I'm completely in agreement with all the above - especially reviews.

And cars parked right up to road junctions and on the outside of blind bends. Our local police say they can do nothing as that bit of the Highway Code, is just that. A code. Not a law. Grrr!

Grandma70s Tue 23-Jan-24 09:55:19

So many rants are driving-related that I feel really glad I don’t drive

Cherrytree59 Tue 23-Jan-24 09:58:09

I'm with you Sago.
I have been asked for a review before receiving item or service.
Now our local health centre is in on the act, asking for a review.
Ihad only just got my bum on the car seat when my mobile pinged!

Sorry re your holiday let, some people are a beyond belief 😡

I also hate cars parked on pavements, especially when I was pushing a pushchair.
Not sure what the answer is, when it it is terrace old style houses without drives and bus has to get down road?
Litter and fly tipping are my bug bear.

Oh and a cough that won't push off 😷

Dickens Tue 23-Jan-24 10:04:09

If you are largely housebound and rely heavily on online shopping, these requests for 'reviews'... "how-did-we-do-today" can be overwhelming.

... and bloody too time-consuming. I do not have the time - being partially disabled myself and the sole carer of my disabled partner, to continually be giving reviews which will "only take a few minutes of your time".

Can we revert to the old-fashioned way? Where we automatically assume that the service / goods will be as advertised, or at least reasonable - and that if they aren't, we'll let you know by making a complaint?

I even get reminders to review products that I might have "missed" reviewing.

I simply bin the lot of them.

Witzend Tue 23-Jan-24 10:04:58

I just ignore the endless requests for reviews - unless from a clothing company I regularly order from, since I like to read other people’s opinions of the item. Whether it fits too big or small, etc.

Local GP is the latest - asking for views on my last appt.

vampirequeen Tue 23-Jan-24 10:05:15

People who don't say 'please' or 'thank you'.

People who talk on their phone when they're being served in a shop as if the shop assistant is of no consequence.

People who eat food with their hands. Not food that's meant to be eaten that way but, for example, those who go to a carvery but don't use a knife and fork (or even a fork) for some of the food on their plate.

Parents/adults who let children wander/run around cafes and restaurants. It's not only annoying but I worry that they'll be injured by hot coffee or food.

Drivers who tailgate.

People who say racist/homophobic things but then claim they're not racist/homophobic because they have a black/Asian/gay colleague at work.

I know this one is mean. I have mental health issues including anxiety and agoraphobia. I do manage to go out if DH takes me. There are always well meaning people who pat my hand and tell me I'm doing 'really well' in soft, gentle and, to me, patronising voices. I know they're trying to be nice but they drive me insane.

Wow I seem to be on a roll here so I'll say just one more.

Mansplaining.

rosie1959 Tue 23-Jan-24 10:05:54

The person in front on slip roads slows down instead of matching the speed of the traffic
I am not a keen driver on motorways probably because my husband can get travel sick being a passenger if lanes are running full he will as quickly as possible move over to the outside lane his theory is it’s the safest lane less coming at you from all directions
I also hate bad service in restaurants

Marmin Tue 23-Jan-24 10:07:05

I have just opened an email from the moderators asking me to review this thread.