Gransnet forums

AIBU

Disabled parking, is it fair?

(197 Posts)
Quizzer Sat 20-Jan-24 13:19:59

I spotted an acquaintance’s car parked in a disabled bay at our local supermarket, there were no other free bays.
Yes, she is nearly 80, but she is extremely active. I mentioned it to her as I think this is unacceptable and hoped I could embarrass her not to do it again.
She said “Oh I do have a disabled badge but I didn’t have it with me”. I inquired what her disability was and she said she has a bad shoulder. It is obviously so bad that she has had to restrict her golfing to playing 18 holes only two or three times a week!
Does she really have a disabled badge for this, or was she lying?

MissInterpreted Sat 20-Jan-24 13:25:11

She may have, although I know from experience that, at least in this area, obtaining a disabled badge is far from easy. Speaking more generally though, people do need to bear in mind that not all disabilities are visible - so someone parking in a disabled space (with a blue badge) may not look 'disabled'.

Hithere Sat 20-Jan-24 13:25:16

None of your business

Cadenza123 Sat 20-Jan-24 13:27:40

She may well have. To be honest it's best to leave other people to it.

dragonfly46 Sat 20-Jan-24 13:27:41

I have more of a problem with the mother and child spaces as they seem to be nearer to the door and often there is no child to be seen. At least Blue Badge holders generally display their badge.

welbeck Sat 20-Jan-24 13:34:36

parent+child spaces are just a courtesy offer, they are not generally enforceable. ie anyone can park in them.
disabled spaces are quite different.
you should not challenge anyone as to what their disability is; that is really out of order.
blue badges should be displayed in disabled spaces, of course.
but that is for the operator of the car park to enforce.
if you feel strongly about it, you should take it up with the operator, not challenge users.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 20-Jan-24 13:35:48

I agree Hithere.

PuddyCat Sat 20-Jan-24 13:37:12

I inquired what her disability was

What a pity she didn't tell you to mind your own business.

Primrose53 Sat 20-Jan-24 13:39:39

PuddyCat

^I inquired what her disability was^

What a pity she didn't tell you to mind your own business.

Ha ha reminds me of the old saying “a smack in the mouth usually offends.”

fancythat Sat 20-Jan-24 13:40:20

I would say it is peoples' business.
But like others are saying, disabilities can be hidden.

I did look quizically at a neighbour once when I saw her do it.
She is honest enough to say, "I wanted to park nearer".
We know each other well enough, that she knew I would know if she had suddenly become disabled. People talk.

fancythat Sat 20-Jan-24 13:41:12

If a non disabled person takes up a space that a disabled person needs, I think that is the business of the general public, personally.

Spuddy Sat 20-Jan-24 13:47:19

Very well said, dragonfly 46!

Spuddy Sat 20-Jan-24 13:48:09

Well said, Puddycat!

Spuddy Sat 20-Jan-24 13:49:13

''Enquired what her disability was?''

Are you her doctor?

Primrose53 Sat 20-Jan-24 13:51:03

fancythat

If a non disabled person takes up a space that a disabled person needs, I think that is the business of the general public, personally.

blue badges are not handed out lightly. My late Mum had one and it was so useful. I should think she had one for over 10 years. She had poor mobility, arthritis and loads of other stuff.

It’s not right to ask a person what their disability is though just as it’s not right to ask people who wear sunflower lanyards what is wrong with them.

ginny Sat 20-Jan-24 13:51:07

fancythat

I agree. Maybe one day they may be the person needing that space. I wonder how they will feel then.

Shelflife Sat 20-Jan-24 13:51:32

Quizzer, this lady is 80 !! Give her a break ! You had no business to ask what her disability was - it it none of your business.

Auntieflo Sat 20-Jan-24 13:53:59

parent+child spaces are just a courtesy offer, they are not generally enforceable. ie anyone can park in them

I have a blue badge, and one time could find no parking bay, but, there were a few Mother & Child spaces. So I used one, only to be told, by a shop (Tesco's) assistant, that if the parking attendant saw this, I would be fined?

I did manage to move the car, but do not know how true this was.

25Avalon Sat 20-Jan-24 14:11:24

I would just have said “You’re lucky. I know someone who got fined here for not displaying their badge.” No need to question what disability.

My ds was in a wheelchair and disabled bays were an absolute necessity and godsend once we had the blue badge which was not easy to get. When we first got it I forgot to display it and got a fine but as it was a council car park they kindly let me off.

Another time parked in the street we got booked by a zealous traffic warden because the badge was on the driver’s side of the dashboard, albeit my tax disc was for a disabled registered vehicle. I had to write to the chief constable to get that rescinded.

Having had someone disabled means I can never take a disabled space - I would rather walk miles or wait hours for a non disabled bay.

Primrose53 Sat 20-Jan-24 14:17:58

Auntieflo

*parent+child spaces are just a courtesy offer, they are not generally enforceable. ie anyone can park in them*

I have a blue badge, and one time could find no parking bay, but, there were a few Mother & Child spaces. So I used one, only to be told, by a shop (Tesco's) assistant, that if the parking attendant saw this, I would be fined?

I did manage to move the car, but do not know how true this was.

That’s a lie. I was in a Tesco once and a woman was complaining that she had seen someone clearly not disabled using a disabled space. The Tesco Manager told her they can do nothing about it. He wouldn’t even send somebody out to check. They certainly have no authority to fine you either.

tickingbird Sat 20-Jan-24 14:23:57

I once remonstrated with a van driver parked in a disabled space - he moved it.

We should say something if we can and aren’t putting ourselves in any danger. Life’s difficult enough for disabled people without having to try and find a parking space that doesn’t mean a longer walk to the shop. Often the people that use them ‘illegally’ are just bone idle.

Judy54 Sat 20-Jan-24 14:29:25

How can we see that someone is clearly not disabled many people have hidden disabilities not visible to us. It is wrong for an able bodied person to park in a disabled bay preventing a blue badge holder from parking there.

SpringyChicken Sat 20-Jan-24 14:34:18

Perhaps she was too embarrassed to tell you her true disability.

Philippa111 Sat 20-Jan-24 14:34:35

Blue badges are almost impossible to get!

I had a hip operation that didn't go well. I could hardly get in and out of the car and walking was extremely difficult. I only managed to get round the supermarket holding on to a trolly.

I applied for a disabled badge to be informed there was a 6 month time frame before I would be seen and be assessed. I have parked in disabled bays sometimes. I thought if anyone stops me I'll just let them see my disability.

They should issue temporary disabled stickers for people who have a temporary disabling condition.... but that's not going to happen!

I'm still not right , don't have a disabled badge and spend quite a lot of money on parking as buses don't always go where I need and I can't walk there. Also taxi fares.

Callistemon21 Sat 20-Jan-24 14:44:38

MissInterpreted

She may have, although I know from experience that, at least in this area, obtaining a disabled badge is far from easy. Speaking more generally though, people do need to bear in mind that not all disabilities are visible - so someone parking in a disabled space (with a blue badge) may not look 'disabled'.

Good post

And what Hithere said.

Primrose Tesco does not care two hoots about disabled customers. The spaces for blue badge holders are further away from the entrance than the spaces for parent and child, many of whom do not seem to need wider spaces nearer the entrance.

Since when does an able-bodied parent with a couple of older fit children need a parking space nearer the entrance than a blue badge holder struggling to get to the door?