Gransnet forums

AIBU

Excruciating experience - surprise birthday party

(159 Posts)
Pearly34 Sat 20-Jan-24 09:17:39

Hi grans. Would love some opinions on this … it was a special birthday last week and my husband arranged a surprise party for me. I wanted spend evening with my adult children, drinks, nibbles etc but when I arrived at my daughter home, there were all my work friends! I had cards, gifts, speeches etc. I was dying inside of deep embarrassment but at the same time feeling so deeply appreciative. I can’t stop thinking about and cringing; I’m such a private person and don’t mix family/work friends. I know, sounds a bit weird! I feel so upset with my husband for misjudging and not knowing that I would hate a surprise party ( 27 yrs married so he should know me by now!). Any advice for me please on moving past this awful, sickly feeling of discomfort and embarrassment?

ExDancer Sat 20-Jan-24 09:24:05

How horrible for you!
I don't know how to get rid of the feeling, but I would feel exactly the same. I made it clear very early on that I never ever wanted a surprise party and threatened to walk out if my family ever sprung one on me.
Perhaps you should concentrate on making sure your family know not to inflict one on you ever again.

rosie1959 Sat 20-Jan-24 09:30:31

Perhaps look at these feelings logically what are you feeling embarrassed about. The people attending obviously wanted to be there and wish you happy birthday.
Ok your husband misjudged it but all done with love surely.
You said you felt appreciative so just let it go it’s not the end of the world. The thoughts are all in your head I am sure those attending haven’t given it a second thought.

Calendargirl Sat 20-Jan-24 09:32:36

I too would hate a surprise party.

Quite happy for birthdays to just ‘pass by’.

henetha Sat 20-Jan-24 09:36:56

I share your feelings, Pearly. I've always made it clear that I don't ever want a surprise party. But at least you know they all love you so perhaps, if you can, just move forward and put it out of your mind.

Sago Sat 20-Jan-24 09:42:59

I feel your pain, I too have told my family no surprise parties.
You sound like a very balanced person and you will get over it. I cannot offer any advice but time is a great healer.

Carenza123 Sat 20-Jan-24 09:44:03

A shock - not what you wanted! But it was arranged with love and appreciation of you! How lovely. Count your blessings. Not everyone is so fortunate.

Woollywoman Sat 20-Jan-24 09:47:47

Sympathy… I too am very private and have had a surprise party arranged for me, and it was very difficult to get through. The memory will always be there…
I think you need to be more assertive with your family so that it never happens again… be pre-emptive before birthdays etc…
In the meantime, maybe write your feelings down, and then rip the bit of paper you’ve written them on into very small bits… I find this really helps…

petra Sat 20-Jan-24 09:56:28

Carenza123

A shock - not what you wanted! But it was arranged with love and appreciation of you! How lovely. Count your blessings. Not everyone is so fortunate.

I just hope the OP didn’t show her horror after all the trouble the family had gone to.

Juliet27 Sat 20-Jan-24 09:57:11

If no-one else looked embarrassed I’d just accept that it was a kind gesture by your husband, albeit a mistake as far as you’re concerned. Luckily, in my case, my husband wouldn’t have enough imagination to throw a surprise party. We don’t even send each other cards.

Elless Sat 20-Jan-24 10:00:36

I would be exactly the same, I hate being the centre of attention so much so that I often arrange to go away for my birthday. Think of it in a good way though, these people all turned up for you so you must be liked 🙂

BlueBelle Sat 20-Jan-24 10:02:44

Oh my word that too would have been a huge nightmare for me I m not a particularly private person but I do not really like surprises It’s the embarrassment of what if I don’t like this surprise how do I not show it how do I pretend all evening
I just don’t like big surprises so I really feel for you it’s not weird at all some people do, some don’t, I m definitely in the DONT camp

aggie Sat 20-Jan-24 10:31:14

I’d hang on to the “ Deeply Appreciated “ , and try to forget the embarrassment
I had the same experience, but it was my Daughters idea , and only family , which made a large gathering , I was deeply embarrassed and nearly walked out !
They enjoyed it , I didn’t , but they promised never to do it again !

Galaxy Sat 20-Jan-24 10:35:17

I would have hated that, and would actually wonder if my husband knew me at all. If my husband organised this for me it would not be a kind gesture.
My mother on the other hand had a surprise party for her 60th, she loved it and my dad was right to organise it.
Organising something you will hate is not kindness.

Witzend Sat 20-Jan-24 10:38:22

I had firmly said No Fuss! before my last Big Birthday, but dh and dds had gone ahead anyway and booked a huge barn conversion for the weekend. But it was family only, inc. some that we don’t often see, because of distance, so I did enjoy it.

Baggs Sat 20-Jan-24 10:41:17

What you've said in your opening post doesn't sound in the least bit weird, Pearly34. I'd feel the same if my husband did such a stupid thing.

As for moving on.... well, maybe tell him never, ever to do such a thing again and that you hated it. It is rather astonishing that he didn't realise this after 27 years of marriage. Also, shouldn't your offspring have known and advised him against it? – unless it was their idea ¿?

RosiesMaw Sat 20-Jan-24 10:41:50

It may not be to everybody’s taste (and I would want to have had my hair done!) but can’t you see the positive- that you are appreciated and loved?
To think this is the same site where another gran seems to have cried for a week because her sons girlfriend unfortunately “forgot her birthday “
it’s the thought that counts as they say, and I have actually lost sleep and been in tears several times over the last few days as I am so upset.
Some people can’t win!

Baggs Sat 20-Jan-24 10:44:35

I think it's the people who like parties who arrange surprise parties; they probably don't really consider what the partified person might prefer.

Baggs Sat 20-Jan-24 10:45:21

Partifying is abuse 😅

Poppyred Sat 20-Jan-24 10:50:48

This would have been my worst nightmare! I know exactly how you feel. 😣

NotSpaghetti Sat 20-Jan-24 10:52:58

I am still cross (when I think about it) about a 25th Anniversary party that my children organised and invited loads of people I really wasn't interested in.

I also thought it was going to be just family. I thought "well, I'll just go out for the evening" as I suddenly got wind of it the day before - but my husband (correctly) said I must just grit my teeth about it and suck it up. Which I did.

Thank goodness they didn't invite work colleagues too! 😬

I promise you, you won't forget it but you will let it go! 😁 (eventually)....

tickingbird Sat 20-Jan-24 10:56:36

Just put it behind you. It’s gone now.

I’m also someone that hates being the centre of attention; I’m just not comfortable with it and my family and close friends know that I’d hate a surprise party in my honour.

NotSpaghetti Sat 20-Jan-24 10:57:14

True Baggs.
Go ahead all you party people and party-off!
Leave the rest of us out of it.

OldFrill Sat 20-Jan-24 11:03:27

Revenge is best served cold 😬

Purplepixie Sat 20-Jan-24 11:11:10

I wouldn’t be happy but it has passed. Maybe arrange your own next time just the way you want it.