Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be livid with neighbour?

(35 Posts)
TopsyAndTim Wed 23-Nov-22 20:46:48

And wanting to go round and shout at her?
I seriously think she killed my cat. He and her became attached to one another. She has chronic illnesses and so is at her home a lot. He was a very sociable cat so used to go to hers.
I suspect she was feeding him but could not be sure as he was popular with the neighbours as a while. But there would often be days when I would not see him and so I suspect he was there with her.
A few times over the last 8 years, she has texted me to say he has a limp or something and I have always been a bit short with her because it does feel like she was taking over.
Anyway. He didn't come home for 2 weeks and when he did, I was shocked to see him. He had a swollen eye, laboured breathing and off his food. He had obviously been out in all weathers etc. Long story short, he had to be put down and the main reason for this was because he was so fat he could not fight off the flu that he had. I am absolutely devastated and also extremely angry. This neighbour took over and did not come round to tell me how bad she was when she must have seen it for herself. She's also clearly been feeding him as he wasn't coming home at all and I accept that my other neighbours may be lying when they also say they were not feeding him but I think it was her.
Aibu to go round and have it out with her?

SuzieHi Wed 23-Nov-22 20:54:50

No. Understandably you’re upset. Be sad for your cat.
Nothing to be gained now by confronting your neighbour with your suspicions.

Sago Wed 23-Nov-22 20:56:10

Here we go

Callistemon21 Wed 23-Nov-22 21:03:12

Cats will go anywhere they are fed and have no loyalty.

rafichagran Wed 23-Nov-22 21:15:19

Why did you not try to find the cat if it was gone for two weeks?

Callistemon21 Wed 23-Nov-22 21:19:06

rafichagran

Why did you not try to find the cat if it was gone for two weeks?

Friend's cat went missing for 4 months, she searched everywhere.

One day the cat strolled in again as if she'd never been away.
Then an irate woman came knocking at the door, demanding "her" cat back.
🐈

rafichagran Wed 23-Nov-22 21:31:26

I did what your neighbour did, but it seems the OP knew where the cat was especially as she thinks the neibour has been feeding it.

TopsyAndTim Wed 23-Nov-22 21:44:25

I suspected it heavily that she was but could not prove it. I am so angry tonight though and do feel she is responsible. She won't know of the cats passing yet I don't imagine but when she does I hope she feels deeply ashamed

Summerlove Wed 23-Nov-22 21:45:44

I’m sorry about your cat

However when you let animals roam these things are going to happen

TopsyAndTim Wed 23-Nov-22 21:49:57

Well I hope she is happy with herself.

Callistemon21 Wed 23-Nov-22 21:52:43

He didn't come home for 2 weeks
He wouldn't have got that fat in two weeks.
Maybe he had been in a fight with another cat.
Were his injections up-to to-date?

I don't think you can blame your neighbour.

mokryna Wed 23-Nov-22 22:02:06

Sorry to hear about your cat. So sad.
Cats all roam and we have no control over them unless we keep them housebound.

One of mine was always so friendly with the neighbours that he got quite big with the extra snacks. He even stole a joint of meat a butcher had left on the doorstep of another. He even got locked in another house because he had sneaked in behind some builders who were doing it up.

Another neighbour thought I had his cat until it was found on the main road nearby.

TopsyAndTim Wed 23-Nov-22 22:04:26

He was rarely at home throughout the years and other neighbours only saw him briefly. I couldn't stop him going to hers but her feeding him, only if it was smaller amounts would mean that of course he would never stay at home for long.
Yes of course, all his injections were up to date. The swollen eye was a result of the flu which he could then not shake off because of her feeding him. Because she doesn't own cats she wouldn't know correct portion sizes etc and so he became too overweight to fight off a flu that healthier cats would have no problem fending off.

biglouis Wed 23-Nov-22 22:10:45

Inm sorry about your cat but the only way to keep them safe is to have them as "house" cats.

Callistemon21 Wed 23-Nov-22 22:21:44

biglouis

Inm sorry about your cat but the only way to keep them safe is to have them as "house" cats.

Yes.
Another friend had a house cat but the one and only time she did go out se got knocked down on the road.
sad

Cats are their own people (so to speak).

rafichagran Wed 23-Nov-22 22:37:33

Cats are no one's slave, they are not loyal, and I love that about them.

Spice101 Thu 24-Nov-22 00:24:00

If you suspected the cat was at your neighbours why didn't you go and bring it home.
Free roaming cats are the ban of my life and here are required to be kept on the owners property. That means inside or in an enclosure outside. Your cat your responsibility

Spice101 Thu 24-Nov-22 00:26:16

So yes you are being unreasonable..

Hithere Thu 24-Nov-22 01:45:31

I am with summerlove

In the US, it is highly encouraged to keep the cats 100% indoors

Ali08 Thu 24-Nov-22 02:00:07

My stepdaughter has a cat that takes holidays with neighbours. The first few times he went, she searched high and low for him, then she picked up on his game!
He'll happily stroll in like the king of Siam, expecting everything to be where he left it - though he did get a shock the first time as, fearing he'd died, she got rid of everything of his!
He may stop that now, though, as they have a kitten now, too, so he may decide to stay put!
But, he is a cat and cats do wander, and they happily stroll into other cat welcoming houses and eat there so, on this note, YABU!!!
Sorry, but if you didn't want him wandering you should have made him an indoor cat!

Ali08 Sun 04-Dec-22 14:16:10

TopsyandTim

How many cats do you have??

Poppyred Sun 04-Dec-22 14:19:48

Bit late now? Should have sorted it when the poor cat was alive.

charlestrevino Wed 07-Dec-22 07:28:01

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Sara1954 Wed 07-Dec-22 08:39:40

We have a similar problem, our cat is a real outdoor cat, not so much now he’s older, but he used to disappear for days, on one occasion weeks.
Our neighbor admits to feeding him, because she insists he’s starving, absolute rubbish. Because of another condition he’s at at the vets every few months, and he’s otherwise fine, she once rang a cat helpline and reported us for starving him.
I feel like going around and slapping her, but I won’t!

glammanana Wed 07-Dec-22 08:57:10

I can't see how this is your neighbours fault I would have knocked at her house and asked about him well before 2 weeks ,my Oliver goes between my house and Jim's next door if he doesn't come back after a day visiting I call and bring him home so after 2 weeks you have no reason to blame your neighbour.