Gransnet forums

AIBU

Bad language current at the most ment

(107 Posts)
Isabel46 Fri 26-Aug-22 15:40:55

Am I the only English-speaking mother and grandmother who objects to the use of the word ‘farting’? It seems that most people find it hilarious.

I was watching ‘Come Dine with Me’ recently and one of the male contestants confessed that his wife does it in front of others- not funny, I thought - and nothing to brag about!

HowVeryDareYou Fri 26-Aug-22 15:43:44

I don't object to the word, but I would object to someone doing it near me

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 26-Aug-22 15:43:49

It's a bit adolescent, isn't it? But then some people never really grow up, do they?

Blossoming Fri 26-Aug-22 15:46:12

I find fart jokes funny, always have. I wouldn’t really call the word ‘farting’ bad language but I don’t use it in polite company. As for the act itself people can’t always choose when or where they fart.

Dickens Fri 26-Aug-22 15:54:47

I'm a bit of a snowflake, so it does make me cringe. I guess it's the way we were brought up!

A friend of mine taught his children to call the (very natural) bodily function, "puffy pardons" which always amused me. When they became teenagers, they relished the word, farting, and took every opportunity to use it.

As for the contestant's wife... I don't really know what to say. Except that I'd prefer not to be sitting next to her...

Boz Fri 26-Aug-22 16:08:13

Don't Americans call it trumping. Nuf said.

PollyDolly Fri 26-Aug-22 16:10:27

Parping.......wifting.......trumping.......fluffing.......farting......... we ALL do it! Even the queen.

Fleurpepper Fri 26-Aug-22 16:12:10

Farting is hardly the worst I've come across lately, as a word!

ginny Fri 26-Aug-22 16:12:24

It is one of those words that make me cringe.
Jokes are a bit juvenile and I can’t see why anyone thinks it ok to do it deliberately right by others.

kittylester Fri 26-Aug-22 16:16:28

In our family they are called 'beg your pardons'. Really nasty ones are called 'beg your parsnips'. They cause great hilarity what e er rhey are called.

biglouis Fri 26-Aug-22 16:25:11

It is only the "chattering" middle classes who object to so called bad language. The upper and lower classes dont give a damb what anyone thinks and swear away.

Cue for someone to come along and assert that there are no social classes in this country. How naive can you get.

AGAA4 Fri 26-Aug-22 16:39:03

My mum used to call it letting off (wind) She didn't like words like farting.

Gracesnan Fri 26-Aug-22 16:50:47

My dad wouldn’t allow us to use that word. Even now I can’t use it!

Grannynannywanny Fri 26-Aug-22 16:51:40

My dad used to say “who let off and didn’t let on? It was usually him!

LOUISA1523 Fri 26-Aug-22 17:37:27

Children round here are taught to say trumps but are usually saying facts by age 7 ish...doesn't bother me as a word

Jaxjacky Fri 26-Aug-22 17:45:58

Doesn’t bother me, ‘excuse me I’ve passed wind’ would cause more hilarity in our house.
The contestant may have meant his wife does it accidentally, some people with diverticulitis or IBS can’t help it.

TerriBull Fri 26-Aug-22 17:51:18

We have what is known in our family as SBD s(silent but deadlies). Obviously it's not something to come out with when out with company but honestly it's a bodily function and keeping them in can cause a certain amount of discomfort, which is why I'm never too adventurous with my yoga moves -they're too hard anyway my regard for others.

We were at a gathering a while ago and someone let one drop, not me, moving away from where the foulness emanated from
not wishing to be associated with it, I did say to my vegetarian companion "was that you?" to which she replied "I can assure you that mine smell nothing like that, that's coming from a meat eater!" Then we saw the culprit lurking under the table, The Jack Russell of the home was moving surreptitiously round the room dropping them left right and centre, whilst everyone was doing their best to move away from where the last one was rising up from clearly hoping no one would think it was them grin

Mamie Fri 26-Aug-22 17:52:33

No problem with the word fart.
In French it is péter.
We have a couple of English friends called Peter ???.

Jaxjacky Fri 26-Aug-22 17:57:47

Hilarious Terri I know some people who hope for an innocent dog so it can be blamed for their own laxness!

eazybee Fri 26-Aug-22 18:05:09

I don't like the word and would not use it.

Blondiescot Fri 26-Aug-22 18:07:15

Doesn't bother me in the slightest - there are far worse things to get offended at.

annodomini Fri 26-Aug-22 18:21:18

Showing disapproval of certain words makes it more certain that children will make use of them. Do I care what the expulsion of wind is called. Why? It is what it is. At the other end (so to speak) who disapproves of belch and burp?

henetha Fri 26-Aug-22 18:24:01

I'm too worried about other things to bother about being offended by that word, quite honestly.

MissAdventure Fri 26-Aug-22 18:28:07

Fart isn't my favourite word; I didn't allow my daughter to say it when she was small, and she was always a outraged both by the word and deed.
(which made it all the funnier if someone let rip)

Her boys had to say 'pop' if they must refer to it.

Bellanonna Fri 26-Aug-22 18:44:33

I didn’t know the word when I was growing up. It was letting off or blowing off.