Gransnet forums

AIBU

Neighbour's Parking

(47 Posts)
Hippie20 Mon 11-Apr-22 15:35:47

I arrived home last week to see a large van unloading on my drive. It was my new neighbours moving in. No permission or request to use it was made Subsequently the new neighbour who has her own parking space has taken to parking her car half on the pavement in front of my house. I only have a front garden and am forced to look at her car. I am loath to get into a dispute so am thinking of having privacy hedges inside of my small picket fence. I know it sounds minor but it spoils the enjoyment of my property. What would you do? Talking to the neighbour would be pointless.

Hippie20 Sat 30-Apr-22 19:38:29

That's what I am doing.

Hippie20 Sun 01-May-22 07:44:42

Just got up. She parked in my drive even though she has her own.

maydonoz Sun 01-May-22 08:03:17

Hi Hippie 20
Sorry you're having this awful parking problem with your neighbour but this is really ridiculous. How can she park in your drive without your permission, I think you'll have to confront her and tell her in no uncertain terms that it's not acceptable. She is really taking the p or perhaps she does not have any awareness of social norms?

karmalady Sun 01-May-22 08:12:29

cotoneaster franchetii, makes a lovely hedge with flowers and berries, very much nicer than looking at a car. Beware of a dispute

Hippie20 Sun 01-May-22 10:24:23

I'm so angry but luckily away today. I will have to think what to do.

Spice101 Mon 02-May-22 07:23:53

Are you able to put a gate on your driveway?

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 02-May-22 07:32:18

How did you get your car out if she parked in your drive?

Hetty58 Mon 02-May-22 08:05:42

Hippie20, unfortunately, common courtesy, respect for others - and the local environment -are often sadly missing. I wouldn't even bother talking to her (except for a quick greeting if you meet face to face) as you already know the character by the behaviour. Consider a tall trellis with climbers to improve your view.

It could be much worse - Frank (one road away) had a lovely elderly neighbour - with a very tidy house and gardens. When she had to move into residential care, the family let out the house.

Now, there are 'hordes' of people, coming and going, a front garden with overflowing bins, broken furniture - and nappies, beer cans and ciggie ends thrown from upstairs windows. The back garden is 'infested' with barking dogs and screaming children on a trampoline. They cook outdoors (six feet from Frank's doors) creating noise, smoke and fumes, as is their custom, and hang the saucepans, cooking utensils, etc. on the fence. People sleep in the garage and play music all night.

Frank's moving out (of course, to save his sanity) having accepted that he's lost at least 50k on the value of his property.

Saxifrage Mon 02-May-22 09:01:23

Hippie, I am sorry that you are so angry but you don't say what friendly overtures you have made to your new neighbour. Before you go for all out war would it be an idea to try the opposite approach of killing her with kindness? Take round a welcoming present (flowers or cake). Ask how she is settling in and whether you can do anything to help and only tackle the parking problems once you have established an amiable exchange.

Hippie20 Mon 02-May-22 12:55:08

Luckily I'm away at the moment. Unfortunately being nice wouldn't work and when I go home I will park on my drive. She has her own drive but is such a poor driver that she can't reverse into it. So Mount's the pavement outside my house. I only have a front garden so have to look at her BMW all day. I have decided that if I speak to her that it will all escalate. Anyone who parks on your drive like that when they know its yours is not someone who can be reasoned with. I will not speak to her and she will think she has won but the broader picture is just to pretend she isn't there. I'd put a photo of the car but the number plate is visible so I won't. It was parked diagonally almost hitting my fence and on the footway.

tickingbird Mon 02-May-22 13:04:18

She’s obviously a self centred bully. These types push and push and have no regard for anyone but themselves. I find the idea of gift giving cringey to be honest and doubt it would help; probably encourage her more.

Parking on your drive is really taking the p big time. I’d install parking posts. They aren’t expensive. I feel for you.

biglouis Thu 05-May-22 10:55:09

Neighbour disputes may be "miserable" but sometimes you have to go nuclear with a CF neighbour.

The couple next door have 3 times sent work people onto my property without permission. She is a needy whinging bitch and her husband a weak bellend. They are one of those elderly couples who think they have more rights because theyve lived there longer.

The husband also dropped litter onto my garden. My nephew and big mate went around and made him remove it, filming him while he did so. They were warned that any attempt to send their work people to trespass on my property again without permission would result in them getting a bill which would be pursued by legal action. NDN was also told "If you want to speak to my aunt you go through me, otherwise we will be back and not so friendly next time."

Nephew left them a number of a mobile which he seldom looks at. Since then I have scarcely seen them. I believe they got a good scare. Having 2 6 ft men on your doorstep can be very intimidating even if they dont DO anything.

midgey Thu 05-May-22 11:10:03

While it is outrageous that your neighbour is parking on your drive if I have understood correctly she is parking on the pavement outside your house so on public land. It is nice not to be looking a car all day but its not illegal to park outside someone else’s home.

mcleanross Wed 07-Dec-22 07:34:28

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Grandmabatty Wed 07-Dec-22 07:59:50

Reported spam

Charleygirl5 Wed 07-Dec-22 08:36:31

The house next door to me is permanently rented and the present incumbents own 8 cars in various stages of disrepair. It is a small cul de sac, open plan with no driveways. We each have one allocated car park space. I just wish they would move on somewhere.

biglouis Fri 09-Dec-22 09:59:37

I am amazed that so many people will put up with CF sh*t from their neighbours because they are scared of having to seclare a "dispute" if they come to sell the house.

NDN disputes are often simply a clash of personalities, with one party thinking they are "entitled" to do something which the other considers cheeky. A dispute is often a matter of interpretation. I would not regard it as being worthy of reporting unless the police or some other official body had become involved. A few harsh words over the back fence is simply a difference of opinion. Unless the NDN is the mafia anyone new moving in may just as easily get on well with them if their boundaries are different.

Hetty58 Fri 09-Dec-22 10:23:53

People who behave this way (no consideration) usually don't respond to any friendly neighbour gestures or 'welcoming' gifts. Rather, they'd just see you as weak and a walkover. Bullies delight in finding a new victim, but are cowards too.

Biglouis has the ideal approach. A third party (preferably a few, big, burly chaps) has a 'little chat' to put them straight and offers their contact details. The injured party can then stay well out of it.

I don't know what the son of my neighbours did, but he came home from work to a 'warning'. When he arrived (I was gardening) a van followed.

Four huge, intimidating men stepped out and just stood silently opposite his house for an hour, staring intently at it. It worried me - so must have really frightened him and his parents.

kircubbin2000 Fri 09-Dec-22 13:30:26

My son has this problem as commuters park there to get the train. When the new neighbour encroached over his drive he explained that his wife could not see to reverse out.They apologised.

Patsy70 Fri 09-Dec-22 14:20:38

Hippie20 I really do sympathise with you. This is intimidation, either deliberate or else she is thick. I don’t see why you should go to the expense of planting a hedge, when you hadn’t planned to do so. Why should you change your parking arrangements to fit in with hers? It’s your drive and she is not entitled to park there. I like biglouis’ suggestion, though. Do you know any ‘heavies’ who could take her down a peg or two? What about your other neighbours? Let us know what happens, but do try to avoid confrontation, as this person is a bully.

Dickens Fri 09-Dec-22 16:31:17

Hippie20

Luckily I'm away at the moment. Unfortunately being nice wouldn't work and when I go home I will park on my drive. She has her own drive but is such a poor driver that she can't reverse into it. So Mount's the pavement outside my house. I only have a front garden so have to look at her BMW all day. I have decided that if I speak to her that it will all escalate. Anyone who parks on your drive like that when they know its yours is not someone who can be reasoned with. I will not speak to her and she will think she has won but the broader picture is just to pretend she isn't there. I'd put a photo of the car but the number plate is visible so I won't. It was parked diagonally almost hitting my fence and on the footway.

I think you're right - she appears from what you say - dropping her fag ends around your property - like an ignorant blockhead... and playing "nice" just won't cut it because she probably doesn't have the intellect to either appreciate nor understand the gesture.
From what you say, she's parking on your drive-way because she can't manage anything else. I know reversing into your own drive can be difficult, but that shouldn't be your problem. And, as others have pointed out, parking on the pavement might be illegal where you are.
I think you will have to just out-smart her.