Gransnet forums

AIBU

To want a tattoo

(353 Posts)
EthelTheTank Wed 07-Oct-20 13:15:18

I'd love a tattoo but at the tender age of 73 I don't know if I'd be able to suit one. My son Sherman thinks it is an awful idea for me to get a tattoo but I can't help feeling like I'm missing out. What are your opinions on tattoos? Should I go for it?

Sarnia Wed 07-Oct-20 13:21:33

Go for it. Life is short and unpredictable. 2020 has surely shown us that.

Esspee Wed 07-Oct-20 13:21:39

?

Tacky, tacky, tacky.

MissAdventure Wed 07-Oct-20 13:31:10

I think we all should do whatever the hell we like, as long as it harms nobody else.
smile
Go on, have one if it's what you want.

I'm sure your son does what he wants, so take a leaf out of his book.

henetha Wed 07-Oct-20 13:33:55

You should do what you want. If a tattoo appeals, then have one. It's harmless. You're never too old for anything.
They are not tacky.

Lucca Wed 07-Oct-20 13:39:01

Do what you like ! Just wondering you mentioned your son by name by the way ?
Also depends how visible you want it to be.
My daughter in law has quite a lot highly visible. I don’t like them but I love her!

boheminan Wed 07-Oct-20 13:41:04

I'm going to duck behind the settee for this!

It's a long used subject, dragged out every now and again. The will include derogatory slurssadand encouragement in equal quantities! I've now got 5 tattoos, which obviously puts me in the 'tacky' and 'slutty' bracket as far as a lot of GN'rs are concernedgrin

NannyJan53 Wed 07-Oct-20 13:44:41

Personally it is not something I would want, but if you do why not? Your life, your body.

henetha Wed 07-Oct-20 13:44:56

I think I prefer tacky and slutty to narrow mindedness and prudishness. grin

returnofflyinghandbag Wed 07-Oct-20 13:50:12

Why not get a small, tasteful one? X

Jimjam1 Wed 07-Oct-20 14:00:59

My motto is if I want or choose to do something I will do it. As long as I don’t intentionally hurt anyone by my actions. My friend and myself often go on holidays together and have promised each other next time we go away we will have a small tattoo. Go for it.

nanaK54 Wed 07-Oct-20 14:06:52

What would you choose and whereabouts on you body? I'm genuinely interested
As others have said, go for it

MrsEggy Wed 07-Oct-20 14:38:58

I have wondered what a tattoo would look like if the underlying skin and flesh shrank and wrinkled with age? Be careful where you put it - my arms are quite wrinkly now although I'm not skinny hmm.

yggdrasil Wed 07-Oct-20 14:52:25

I've got one, and will get another when the tattooist is up and working again. It will be on my other arm. I'd like a couple on my back, but can't reach to look after them till they settle down, so will need help there :-)

Riverwalk Wed 07-Oct-20 14:59:07

OP what with your username and your son named Sherman presumably your tat will be ..... a tank? hmm

EthelTheTank Wed 07-Oct-20 15:36:12

I'm thinking of getting a small one of a seagull or a bird maybe on my thigh so it isn't seen a lot.

EthelTheTank Wed 07-Oct-20 15:39:12

Obviously I'm not sure if I'll go for it yet though.

Callistemon Wed 07-Oct-20 15:49:28

Riverwalk

OP what with your username and your son named Sherman presumably your tat will be ..... a tank? hmm

grin
Riverwalk!

If you're going to have one there's no point in it not being seen Ethel as if you're not sure that you should.
If you've got it, flaunt it.

Sam Cam and Lady Steel have tattooes.

MellowYellow Wed 07-Oct-20 15:58:48

I live above a tattoo parlour. They create the most beautiful pieces of art. I haven't got one yet, but I might one day..... wink

MissAdventure Wed 07-Oct-20 16:20:48

Ooh!
I've just twigged!
Sherman tank in rhyming slang. blush

crazyH Wed 07-Oct-20 16:26:32

Both my sons have got tattoos. When they get old and their skin wrinkles, it's going to look awful, but I dare not tell them ?
If you want one Etheltank, go for it ?

MissAdventure Wed 07-Oct-20 16:29:09

Psssst..
A tattoo or 5 make no difference, really, too how very old people's bodies look. smile
They're all part of someone's life story.

MissAdventure Wed 07-Oct-20 16:29:50

To not too. Rotten phone!

Lisagran Wed 07-Oct-20 17:25:45

MissAdventure!! You’ve led me astray.........clutches pearls........wanders off looking for smelling salts (Or the back door to The Argy)

EthelTheTank Wed 07-Oct-20 17:46:52

Sherman wasn't named after the tank actually he was named after my father and they call me a tank down at the bingo. I hadn't realised until now, what a coincidence