Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Air travel. To bend or not to bend, that is the question!

(50 Posts)
papaoscar Sun 31-Aug-14 11:29:19

Is it acceptable to recline ones economy seat these days or should all the cheap seats just be fixed?

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 01-Sep-14 21:21:22

No, it's not free. Not really durr!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 01-Sep-14 21:22:34

What is different about Business Class. Apart from the ridiculous hot flannells. hmm grin

At least if you buy food off the trolley, you get to choose.

Ana Mon 01-Sep-14 21:23:51

Why's this on the Television and Radio forum? confused

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 01-Sep-14 21:23:56

I will only ever go to the U.S. if I can have a night flight with a bed.

And I can't get up the courage to do that. hmm (all that sodding water)

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 01-Sep-14 21:28:00

When we came back from Prague and week or two ago the only person to recline his seat was this guy

He was practically in DD's lap! Would you mind? grin

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 01-Sep-14 21:28:36

Ana there must have been a telly programme.

Ana Mon 01-Sep-14 21:32:39

Oh, yes... isn't there always? Still, I think the OP should have mentioned it.

Ana Mon 01-Sep-14 21:33:22

I mean, we don't all watch the same tv programmes, do we?

papaoscar Mon 01-Sep-14 22:10:27

Funny thing happened to me on the way to the forum, Ana, I think.

Ana Mon 01-Sep-14 22:20:25

Yes, I can understand that the 'to bend or not to bend' quandary might have led you up the wrong path, *papaoscar! grin

louisamay Mon 01-Sep-14 22:28:54

Galen, totally agree with you about Miami airport staff! Rarely get through Immigration in under an hour and a half - has been up to 3 hours. Seems to be the worst airport in USA though LAX comes a close second.

rosequartz Mon 01-Sep-14 22:33:37

jings What is different about Business Class. Apart from the ridiculous hot flannells

A bed to lie on, on a long haul flight, instead of sitting sort of stretched out trying to doze.

You get hot flannels, wine, food, fruit, snacks etc in economy but it is the bed that looks so appealing.

rosequartz Mon 01-Sep-14 22:34:45

oh, and a toothbrush, toothpaste, eye cover and socks in long haul economy as well!
Just no bed.

rosequartz Mon 01-Sep-14 22:38:42

Galen Didn't make Miami airport any better though. I will never fly to America again, the airport staff are so nasty
The worst we have come across at Miami Airport. Never again! I thought at one point DH was going to be held at gunpoint by the immigration official.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 01-Sep-14 22:45:10

jings What is different about Business Class. Apart from the ridiculous hot flannells (God! I'm doing it now hmm)

I was referring to short haul flights. I've already commented on beds/long haul.

rosequartz Tue 02-Sep-14 15:11:50

I don't know then - more knee and elbow room?

A better loo? (now that would be nice)

Nonu Tue 02-Sep-14 15:28:15

I think you have to be VERY careful with Border Protection Officers in the USA, they can be a wee bit officious, more so than our lot.

I think a wait of an 45 mins. to get through is quite standard though, we never really seem to do it in less, and that is airports all over the States.

Never mind, well worth it when you DO get through !!

smile

Galen Tue 02-Sep-14 15:38:01

No way! Couldn't wait to get on the boat and get to the windies. Hate mainland America

sunseeker Tue 02-Sep-14 16:37:16

I have always traveled economy in the past, but the last trip back from Australia was the last straw for me. The plane was full and despite asking for an aisle seat was in the middle, couldn't move (and why do they give you a blanket, pillow and other bits and pieces when you have nowhere to put them!).

I'm planning to visit Australia again next year (Mum's 90th birthday) and I am saving hard as I intend travelling business class!!

Nonu Tue 02-Sep-14 16:42:16

Well after your horrible experience last time SUN , I would say that is a VERY wise move.
smile

tiggypiro Tue 02-Sep-14 22:40:49

Consider trying to fly on an Emirates A380 if you want to go to Australia business class sunseeker. Absolute bliss ! I'm sure there are others just as good but have no knowledge of them. Make sure that the beds do really lie flat and not at a slight angle as it is annoying to slide down. I go to Beijing with KLM (for the convenience of going from Durham or Leeds) and am hoping that they have changed the annoying beds before my next trip.
However you get there have a wonderful time.

rosequartz Wed 03-Sep-14 10:08:44

Emirates to Australia was better in economy too. Part of our journey was with Qantas, part with Emirates, so be careful when you book as they mix and match.

ginny Wed 03-Sep-14 13:22:23

Off to Canada in a few days time. If the person in front of me reclines the seat they will think they have a small kicking child behind them. grin

rosequartz Wed 03-Sep-14 15:12:30

Which is what I had on and off all the way to Tenerife earlier in the year. Only four hours or so, a nice family (we were chatting to them in the queue for boarding), but Mum was busy with a little one or asleep, Dad was somewhere else ...... I didn't like to make a fuss but if it had been longhaul I would have said something.