Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Summer clothes

(54 Posts)
rosesarered Tue 12-Aug-14 19:23:16

I have far too many Summer clothes, and not enough Autumn/Winter ones.
I don't know quite why I have bought so many Summery things, but the wardrobe is stuffed with them , and even though it's been a great Summer so far, there is not enough time to wear half of them!My theory is that Summer clothes are prettier, so I just buy more, but no more now for at least 3 years.

rosesarered Tue 12-Aug-14 19:24:45

I must add that some of the Summer stuff is a few years old [maybe up to 10 years] not all bought this Summer.

rockgran Tue 12-Aug-14 19:49:50

The trouble is when it is hot you need a lot of changes of clothes so during a hot spell you get through loads of stuff but only wear it once then repack it for next year. Does that help? smile

Ana Tue 12-Aug-14 19:53:30

I know what you mean, roses - every year I buy new summer t-shirts, tops and thin trousers etc. and I have a whole drawerful of stuff I've never worn yet I stll buy more the next year...confused

rosequartz Tue 12-Aug-14 19:59:18

But I never seem to have a pair of smart navy linen trousers, they always look washed out very quickly (yes, I use 'colour' detergent).

J52 Tue 12-Aug-14 20:06:00

Put what you don't wear on e bay and then buy something new that you would wear more frequently. X

rosesarered Tue 12-Aug-14 20:11:05

Yes, it does seem harder to look smart in Summer doesn't it? When it's really hot, I start off looking ok but in a few hours my clothes look limp and creased[as does my face.]
You are right rockgran you do need a few changes, but not enough to justify the amount I now have. I will have a clear out in Autumn and throw out [charity shop] anything that I have hardly worn.
The other thing is jackets: I am a compulsive jacket buyer, and then hardly wear the things!

Ana Tue 12-Aug-14 20:11:59

I'm the same with long cardigans...blush

numberplease Tue 12-Aug-14 21:15:07

All summer, I`ve been promising myself that I`d go through all my drawers upstairs, and throw away all the old stuff that I no longer wear. Have I done it? Have I heck! Consequently, I have new, or newer clothes that I can`t find room for anywhere, so they`re stacked in neat little piles on the bedroom floor. I really must get motivated, AND wear a few more of my new things!

Coolgran65 Tue 12-Aug-14 22:50:24

I love clothes and style.
If I've gone off an item, got it wrong, or it doesn't fit as it should, I sell on eBay.
I also buy on eBay, make up, nightwear, trousers, tunics, slippers.
The cost of postage is less than it would cost me to drive to and from the shops.
I have had some wonderful buys.... I know exactly what M & S sizes work, the shape and cut.
I've had some surprisingly beneficial profits from selling.
I had bought a practically new Phase 8 long cardi for £5 on eBay, it wasn't just right for me. Put it on eBay and got £41. I was a bit concerned as the bidding went up and was very relieved when the buyer gave excellent feedback and said she was delighted.
By using eBay I have really thinned out my wardrobe, shoes, accessories.
Coat hangers can actually move on the rails smile

janerowena Tue 12-Aug-14 23:50:30

Ooh, another eBay addict! grin

I don't mind having loads of summer clothes, they all only cost around £5 from eBay and when I get fed up with them I give my daughter 1st dibs. She's coming up this week to stay and I have a binbag full of summer clothes for her to try on.

I di buy some new clothes but they tend to be good quality classics that I can be sure will last and will be a good fit. However I do well remember thinking that I had twice as many summer clothes as I did winter ones. All my life! I think it's down to optimism. I bought a lovely summer dress a few years ago and it was never warm enough for me to want to wear it that year. It's the only dress I possess that I have never worn, so now it's in a bin bag in the back of the car, waiting to go to a charity shop. From now on all my summer dresses will come from eBay, then I shan't begrudge the money if they don't get worn.

suebailey1 Wed 13-Aug-14 09:13:59

We get a charity bag here at least once a month so I am well on top of my wardrobe now- looking forward to buying some nice big jumpers, cords and moleskins for the winter now and I love wearing thick black tights its the only time my legs look Ok and it covers up all the blemishes.

rosesarered Wed 13-Aug-14 09:24:31

Glad I'm not the only one then!blush I think you are right janerowena about the optmism thing, we imagine floating around all the long hot Summer like some woman from The Go-Between, in a pretty dress.
Come September I shall buy more Wintry things, and free up some space in my wardrobe, having got rid of all Summery stuff that I hardly wear.
I don't buy on eBay because I like to try things on first, handle the material and so on, although I know you can get bargains there.
I'm with you on the black tights thing, suebailey!

goldengirl Wed 13-Aug-14 14:00:09

I much prefer winter clothes to summer ones, partly because I don't like wearing tights in summer and my legs are not the best! I also use ebay but I've also 'found' Next and Monsoon and am actually enjoying pootling around the autumn collections.

NanKate Mon 01-Sep-14 16:37:34

How does Ebay actually work? Who pays who and when ?

Never even looked at Ebay, but keep hearing about it.

Help I am a novice.

Elegran Mon 01-Sep-14 17:28:32

Individual sellers on Ebay sell direct to the customers, either by auction or by "Buy-it-now". The seller pays a small amount to Ebay to list the item, then a small percentage of the price. Payment is from the buyer to the seller, directly or via Paypal. You pay before the item is sent to you.

Ebay have various ways of safeguarding both buyers and sellers and negotiating in disputes.

It is all explained on their site at
pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/basics.html and
pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/selling-basics.html

Does that answer your question, Nankate?

annodomini Mon 01-Sep-14 18:18:51

I'm very good at buying on Ebay (except for an awful beach towel this summer!) but not so good at getting round to selling items I no longer need nor want - nor fit. Always meaning to do it tomorrow!

NanKate Mon 01-Sep-14 18:44:47

Thanks ELEGRAN for the helpful advice.

Coolgran65 Mon 01-Sep-14 20:36:52

Nankate - Just to say that I used to see stuff on ebay and would get my friend to buy it on my behalf using her account because it seemed complicated.

One day she spent an hour with me as we created my ebay account and a paypal account. Then we bought a couple of cheap items so that I could get used to how it worked. And that was it ..... no problem.

If I can do it, anyone can do it.
A little practice and it soon becomes familiar.

littleflo Mon 01-Sep-14 21:22:48

When I retired I decided that for a whole year, every time I bought something new, I would give two things to the charity shop. I have thinned out my wardrobe considerably and now try to good with the shopping for clothes. On the bus one day I heard a lady say that she had bought a beautiful 3 piece outfit for a wedding. I was sure that she was describing the outfit I had worn for my son's wedding. When she got off I had a sneaky look at her and she was nothing like my size.

Deedaa Mon 01-Sep-14 22:58:29

Nankate when I started on ebay I used to find things I wanted and get DH to buy them for me. Then he set up an account for me but I still used his Paypal account to pay for things. Then I realised that he could see how much I was spending (wasting?) so I sat down one afternoon and found out how to set up my own Paypal account grin

NanKate Tue 02-Sep-14 08:03:58

Well Deedaa I certainly like your style of keeping your amount of spending to yourself. I do that too. grin

Brendawymms Tue 02-Sep-14 08:09:03

In all my 45 years of marriage I had one rule. My money is my own, his money is mine. grin

J52 Tue 02-Sep-14 08:28:30

Just a hint for using PayPal. It has to be linked to a bank account. I linked it to a small savings account with a few pounds in. This way if anything went wrong it was not linked to any current or larger savings account and that money was safe. Happy shopping. x

Pittcity Wed 03-Sep-14 08:50:57

I like the fashion of wearing a summer dress with a jumper and leggings or tights and boots in colder weather.