Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Someone has just phoned me…

(66 Posts)
MayBee70 Tue 16-Apr-24 12:36:48

…and said because of my health conditions I am eligible for a free pendant thingy. I was furious. I asked who he was, what company her worked for, what his phone number was and what right had he got to access my health records. Also pointing out that I don’t have any health conditions. I can’t check the number in case it’s one of those that scam you out of money if you dial 1. Has anyone else had a call like this? So intrusive and worrying….

Sago Tue 16-Apr-24 12:41:40

It doesn’t mean someone has access to your health records.
It just a chancer.
They cannot scam you out of money unless you give them your bank details.

Bea65 Tue 16-Apr-24 12:42:25

Social Services sometimes ring me about a pendant alarm - have you had any communication with them in past few months or had a recent fall?

eazybee Tue 16-Apr-24 12:47:44

Check the number on the internet, which will tell you whether it is a genuine number or one that is used for scams.

Delila Tue 16-Apr-24 12:48:58

MayBee, had this scam phone call over a week ago and immediately hung up. It’s obviously doing the rounds. The caller knows nothing about you, don’t give it another thought.

ferry23 Tue 16-Apr-24 12:52:23

I had a similar call a few weeks back. The bloke was quite aggressive and told me that he was sure I must be concerned for my own safety or something very similar.

I told him that if he wanted to come and say that to my face then he'd be worrying about his own bloody safety, not mine!

MayBee70 Tue 16-Apr-24 12:53:40

eazybee

Check the number on the internet, which will tell you whether it is a genuine number or one that is used for scams.

I don’t want to dial 1471 as those scam calls tell you to dial 1 and then charge you a fortune. I always dial my mobile number after I’ve had a scam call. I’m just so angry at the cheek of it!

midgey Tue 16-Apr-24 12:57:43

If you copy the the number into a search engine that may well help you find out if it’s a scam. I never phone 1471, that brings a cost.

crazyH Tue 16-Apr-24 13:03:55

I just don’t answer the phone if it’s an unfamiliar number

rosie1959 Tue 16-Apr-24 13:09:33

I have noticed that since we got rid of our household landline I get very few scam calls as others have said just ignore no point upsetting yourself. Still get the odd one on my mobile but I just hang up

MayBee70 Tue 16-Apr-24 13:27:10

ferry23

I had a similar call a few weeks back. The bloke was quite aggressive and told me that he was sure I must be concerned for my own safety or something very similar.

I told him that if he wanted to come and say that to my face then he'd be worrying about his own bloody safety, not mine!

I’m relieved to know that others have had the same call. I try not to get angry as I think it’s usually young people just trying to earn some money but today’s call just took the biscuit. Especially as I am feeling rather old and creaky at the moment!

Tizliz Tue 16-Apr-24 13:30:37

Use a web site called ‘who called me’ and you can see if others think it is a scam. Useful site

Theexwife Tue 16-Apr-24 13:35:24

The company has your phone number and age so has assumed you may want a pendant. If you have entered a competition, voted, phoned an 800 number or bought anything then your details are out there.

MissAdventure Tue 16-Apr-24 13:37:14

Yes, and you can also add the number of whoever called you, and details of the reason they gave, so that other people are able to read it is a,scam too.

I'm due any minute now for my daily call about my faulty and probably dangerous loft insulation.

I live in a downstairs flat.

Delila Tue 16-Apr-24 13:57:47

I don’t believe the caller knows anything about you, is just calling a list of numbers and using the same spiel hoping to occasionally strike lucky and find someone who fits the bill. Of course they don’t know you at all - if you ask them to tell you your name they’ll quickly change tack, as they don’t know you from Adam, or what your circumstances are.

Witzend Tue 16-Apr-24 13:59:01

Delila

I don’t believe the caller knows anything about you, is just calling a list of numbers and using the same spiel hoping to occasionally strike lucky and find someone who fits the bill. Of course they don’t know you at all - if you ask them to tell you your name they’ll quickly change tack, as they don’t know you from Adam, or what your circumstances are.

Exactly this.

cornergran Tue 16-Apr-24 14:06:32

Had a call telling me my house was known to be damp. Really? I politely thanked the caller and asked him to put details in writing whereupon he asked for my address😂😂

Astitchintime Tue 16-Apr-24 14:07:05

I had a call recently from the 'Retired Workers Association' who stated that, as I had worked in a very noisy industry I was eligible to claim for loss of hearing. I asked the caller to repeat what they'd said, she went through her script again, I asked her to repeat, she went through the script again........she finally got the message and hung up grin

Gwyllt Tue 16-Apr-24 14:46:32

A while ago I knew someone who when they received a scam call handed the phone over to her mother who had dementia. Initially she sounded quite sensible and it kept her occupied got some time. She was always amazed how long she could keep them going got

Gwyllt Tue 16-Apr-24 14:46:53

For not got

Jaxjacky Tue 16-Apr-24 14:53:49

I just don’t answer unless it’s a local number, if it’s important, they’ll leave a message.
I get very few on my mobile and haven’t had a landline for years.

Beechnut Tue 16-Apr-24 15:03:29

ferry and Astitchintime 🤣🤣

Whethertomorrow Tue 16-Apr-24 18:44:42

I absolutely love a scam call. I try to keep them talking to me for as long as possible, it’s such fun. There are a lot of scam buster videos on YouTube, highly clever people who corrupt the computers of scammers. Very informative and alarming at how stupid people are at being sucked in.

BlueBelle Tue 16-Apr-24 18:52:20

I tend to have a bit of fun with them too

GrannyGravy13 Tue 16-Apr-24 19:01:33

When I used to get the insurance scam

about your recent car accident

I always replied with which one?

^ Are you referring to the one where I was three times over the limit or high on cocaine mixed with ketamine^

They rang off quickly, sometimes after a few choice expletives.