Gransnet forums

Relationships

How would you deal with this?

(29 Posts)
Flower21 Tue 16-Apr-24 23:29:48

I would really welcome some help and ideas please on how to deal with people in a walking group and one person in particular who seems to be trying to find out about my particular family situation. This you might think is quite innocent and even quite nice that she would be interested in the first place but the persistent questioning about who I have in my life and pointy questions which each week virtually add up to a real intrusion. I don't want to be rude. I am experiencing huge difficulties with my daughter who has virtually cut contact with me after years of on off abandonment of me due to a long standing situation between us. The insensitive regular intrusive and public questioning in front of others present makes me feel that my private life is open for all to delve into. This on top of the very painful heartbreaking estrangement is really upsetting me and the last thing I need when I am out walking trying to achieve some sort of retreat and peace is to be pinned down by the same person. She is part of quite a clique there and will be passing whatever way I deal with this back to the others. Any help please would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Chestnut Wed 17-Apr-24 00:57:07

Good grief. I'm astonished that anyone could be so rude and intrusive! The perfect solution to dealing with this woman and her nosey pals is to simply leave the group. After all, why would you want to be part of a group that treats you like this?

If you want to continue with the group then just prepare yourself for the next round, after all forewarned is forearmed. You know she will be interrogating you so get ready to throw some missiles back. Say 'oh you don't want to know all that boring stuff about me. Tell me about your family, I'm sure they are much more interesting' or 'tell me what you've been watching on TV' (hopefully something you can discuss) or 'tell me whether you have any other hobbies apart from walking' You get the gist. Turn the conversation over to you interrogating her. Whatever question she fires at you just fire one back instead.

Or tell you you just want a quiet walk and no conversation. Don't let her talk to you.

If you can't do this then you will find it impossible to sidestep her questions. But whatever you do don't tell her another thing about your family. The nosey old bag has upset you enough and found out too much already, so zip your mouth closed on anything to do with the family, just leave her longing for it.

It could be an amusing game if you're up for it, but it seems as though it's upsetting you, and as you said the walking is for peace and retreat. So unless you're up for a battle of wits then I would just drop out and tell the group leader why you've been forced out. It might make them think.

Redhead56 Wed 17-Apr-24 01:05:14

You could be more assertive so avoid discussions about personal things be persistent and change conversation. Talk about the walk you are doing birds you hope to see. Groups often form clique's and there is often a nosey one. Who will get bored eventually get the message and stop asking questions.

Don’t allow someone to invade your personal space and spoil your walk. It’s good for your well being which I am certain will help you deal with your family situation. I know I have been in that situation myself some years ago. Release yourself from the stress and deal with it the sooner the better.

welbeck Wed 17-Apr-24 01:07:21

not wanting to be rude is making you upset and vulnerable.
i think some of this social conditioning is causing life to be burdensome.
why are you so worried about being rude to her.
she doesn't care about how you feel.
just tell her to pluck off.

Nmama Wed 17-Apr-24 01:33:04

"Why are you so interested?"
"Didn't we talk about this last time? Nothing's really changed. How is YOUR family? What's new in your life?"
"Oh, I'm here to get away from the boring stuff in my life and see some beautiful things outdoors! Do you happen to know what kind of tree that is? It's lovely, isn't it?"
"Everything is fine with me. How are things in your life?"
"My daughter? Why on earth do you want to know?"
"I hope you'll forgive me, but I really don't like talking about my family, even with my very closest friends. It's a real boundary I have."
"I didn't come here to talk about that; let's not get into it."
"I'm not comfortable with your questions. I'm not sure why you're asking me these things."
"I tell you what, let's not get into that again. Let's just enjoy the peace in nature--that's what I came for, not jabbering about my boring old family and friends."
"My daughter? Oh, I'm sorry to interrupt but I've just noticed what a pretty jumper you have on. Where did you get it?" (Ask her about something she's wearing.) "Where do you shop for clothes, or do you use catalogs? My favorite shops are . . . Where do you shop for food? Are the prices good?" Just get her talking about herself and what she buys. Drag other people into the conversation: "We were talking about food prices. Where do YOU shop?"

She sounds dreadful.

Macadia Wed 17-Apr-24 01:34:46

Flower21 you seem to be such a kind soul. I am sorry to hear that this lady is ruining what should be a peaceful walk in nature. I think I would gently make it clear to her that you are having a walk for health and enjoyment and you would like to move on to a different subject. Peace be with you !

Namsnanny Wed 17-Apr-24 01:39:27

I'm sorry about your problems with your daughter.
Many of us on here have had similar difficulties, and if you wanted to read about others stories, or join in discussions at any time, look for the Estrangement threads. You may find it helpful.

As for your nosey walking companion, have you told her anything about yourself? Is this why she keeps coming back for further installments?
If not or even if you have, can you say sorry I prefer to walk and take in the surroundings as I do so. Or this is my time to relax so I don't like gossiping.

If this is too intimidating for you perhaps you should think about another walking group.
This time is important for your self esteem, and you deserve it.
Best of luck

biglouis Wed 17-Apr-24 01:42:46

"I dont mind you asking me rude personal questions so long as you dont mind my not answering them!"

I used to say variations of this to my nosy neighbour and then walk away.

There is also the good old Mumsnet standby-

"Do you mean to be so rude or is it a special effort for my benefit?!

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 17-Apr-24 07:00:51

Just tell her you don’t wish to discuss personal things and you are here for a quiet walk, then walk away.

Don’t enable her.

Curtaintwitcher Wed 17-Apr-24 07:11:30

I am another one who joined a walking group because I thought it was safer than walking alone. I also found that people want to know all about your personal life.
Another thing that bothered me was that the walks always ended up with a visit to a pub, and I don't drink.
I quickly left the group as there was little pleasure in it. I now do my walking alone.

Astitchintime Wed 17-Apr-24 07:18:01

You shouldn't have to find a new walking group to avoid this nosey person who clearly has no interest in the group but uses it as a means to 'get the gossip' and intrude in peoples lives

The next time she questions you stop walking, look her directly in the face and say "My family, My business"..........say nothing else. Then continue with your walk.

Hopefully, she, and all those in her clique who are intent on learning every one else's business will move on and go bother some one else.

Enjoy your walking activities and the peace it brings you flowers

greenmossgiel Wed 17-Apr-24 07:26:02

I’m with some of the other posters on this, Flower21.
I dealt with a similar person in the same way as biglouis. My answer took the wind out of her sails and she’s done everything to avoid me, even leaving our book group. Job done!

mumofmadboys Wed 17-Apr-24 07:26:09

Could you say 'I don't want to think of family right now. ' Then ask her if she has done such and such walk or something else? Good luck.

Yoginimeisje Wed 17-Apr-24 07:27:09

Get a dog and walk with her/him. You will chat to many people but it will be just a light hearted quick exchange and move on.

Allsorts Wed 17-Apr-24 07:42:31

Sympathies with you Flower it’s heartbreaking enough without people like her. In the same situation as you and I would just say, I don’t discuss my personal situation, , failing that say sorry I don’t discuss my family, then leave it at that, she’ll probably stomp off but so what.. I wouldn't want her as a friend anyway, just t stick with it for the walk and others will speak if you’re friendly and smile.

Pantglas2 Wed 17-Apr-24 07:46:12

Turn up beaming with joy and when she asks, tell her you've had a jolly decent win on the lottery/premium bonds! She’s the sort that will be so green with envy she’ll go and bother some other poor soul!

Marg75 Wed 17-Apr-24 07:57:44

I have experienced this in the past with a particular person ever time I met her, even when I went to the library where she worked. I decided to turn it around by asking her questions back which she couldn't fathom at first and it certainly worked. It's worth a try.

Gingster Wed 17-Apr-24 07:59:51

A good friend of mine always answers people’s nosy questions with ‘oh don’t ask’ with a wry smile on her face.

Allegretto Wed 17-Apr-24 08:09:06

I like the “Oh, don’t ask” response. Or you could go for, “Gosh, you ask a lot of questions”, and quickly start discussing something you notice as you walk…. “I see the primroses are out. They look so beautiful. I just love to focus on what I see when I’m out walking”.

Flower21 Wed 17-Apr-24 08:34:27

Thank you all so much for your very kind and helpful suggestions which I will put in action in my future walks with that particular individual. I now feel prepared to politely divert her attention onto something else. A huge thank you to you all. It is so appreciated.

Juwels Fri 19-Apr-24 15:31:20

We have a baby cradle that has been in the family for generations (still in very good condition) I would like my son & DIL to use it for their 1st baby. I asked my son if they would want to use it and he said probably not. Should I take that as a no? It would really mean a lot to me if they did. Am I just being over sensitive that more than likely they won’t use it.

crazyH Fri 19-Apr-24 16:36:23

This is why I don’t join a walking group. I prefer to go for a walk by myself with my thoughts, without being interrupted. Mind you, I guess if you are part of a group, you won’t slack. Today for instance, is a beautiful day, but I haven’t stepped out of the door 😂

Coronation Fri 19-Apr-24 16:47:31

I find it difficult dealing with nosy people too. Some of these tips are great

Frenchgalinspain Fri 19-Apr-24 16:50:24

Yoginimeisje

Get a dog and walk with her/him. You will chat to many people but it will be just a light hearted quick exchange and move on.

Wise advice ..

aggie Fri 19-Apr-24 16:52:06

Juwels I think it wouldn’t be suitable to use the lovely cradle , it should be kept as an heirloom
I also think it would be better to start a new thread to get answers