Gransnet forums

Relationships

What is your opinion on dating a man who is 14 years older? I am 34 and he’s 48 with 4 children (age 16~25, 2 from his 1st marriage and 2 from his 2nd one). I am divorced with no kids.

(76 Posts)
ElsaM Tue 16-Apr-24 11:42:29

According to him, 1st marriage happened when he was young (22 or something) and lasted for only 7 months (had kids first) reason being that “it was the right thing to do”, but they did produce 2 kids together.. He also left her for his second wife whom he was married to for 20 years (cheated on her 3 times). Then he met me and left her for me (I didn’t know he wasn’t fully divorced yet). He’s been saying that he learnt as he grows older and people change.
He’s been really loving and generous but I have seen a few red flags so far (caught him lying to me, angry with random because he was in a bad mood etc).

It does give me a bad feeling when he insists that his ex is to blame for his 2nd affair. The fact that he tried to justify (it really is what it is all about) his own doing concerns me such an awful lot, and makes me worry that he’d do the same in the future whenever he deems that I am not being “supportive enough”.. Together with a few other red flags that I have noticed thus far, I feel that I struggle to trust him deep down.

Lastly, this may sound incredibly mean, but his still ongoing legal fight with his ex, and the 4 children from his previous marriages sometimes hit me that these are just way too much “baggage”, or potential trigger for misery in the future..

We are all very happy during the honeymoon stage but I want sustainable happiness and I think that has to be with someone who is a decent person himself. Love unfortunately isn’t enough to make it work.

I am just struggling to let it go. Please can I get some thoughts on this from those who are a little more experienced with life. Thank you so much.

Cossy Tue 16-Apr-24 11:50:16

It’s about whether you’re right for each other irrespective of age and if you can still bear to be with him despite red flags.

I definitely don’t think age is the issue here, but him.

Cossy Tue 16-Apr-24 11:51:43

Also think this post is probably more suited to Mumsnet than here, but for what’s it’s worth I’d run for the hills!

NannyJan53 Tue 16-Apr-24 11:51:52

Age is not the issue, he is. How many times has he cheated? That is more than enough red flags for me.

MaizieD Tue 16-Apr-24 11:54:32

Cossy

Also think this post is probably more suited to Mumsnet than here, but for what’s it’s worth I’d run for the hills!

I think the mumsnet response would be *LTB.

This man is really bad news.

*(Leave The Bastard)

Spinnaker Tue 16-Apr-24 11:54:35

Can't help but think you actually know the answer to this ? What are you waiting for - to be the one that changes him ? Not going to happen given his track record.

Urmstongran Tue 16-Apr-24 11:56:26

Just remember - “Leopards don’t change their spots”.
He has form.
Ignore it at your peril. I’d run, FWIW. 🏃‍♀️

silverlining48 Tue 16-Apr-24 12:05:56

You must know this is not going to work. Do you know the old saying, . Once married a vacancy is created - for another mistress….
You are still young, only 9 years older than his oldest child and surely don’t need this potential hassle.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 16-Apr-24 12:07:51

For a start, do your maths. He’s 48, married at about 22 but had two children with first wife before they married, oldest 25.

crazyH Tue 16-Apr-24 12:14:07

Drop him like a hot potato 🥔

Urmstongran Tue 16-Apr-24 12:21:44

Will you though? Sometimes we ask for advice but don’t like what we hear! 🤣

eazybee Tue 16-Apr-24 12:56:39

Depends how desperate you are.

Judy54 Tue 16-Apr-24 13:14:15

Run!

Smileless2012 Tue 16-Apr-24 13:18:12

He sounds like a serial adulterer. As Judy said Run!

AGAA4 Tue 16-Apr-24 13:19:43

Do you want to be the next in the line of discarded women? If not leave now.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 16-Apr-24 13:20:01

I’m afraid I don’t believe it.

Jaxjacky Tue 16-Apr-24 13:41:34

With you GSM, thought that first off.

Dee1012 Tue 16-Apr-24 13:49:27

I'm not convinced about this BUT if it's true and you are struggling to let it go.

Just picture yourself a few years down the line when you potentially have a child / children and he's on the prowl for the next victim!

As we said a long time ago bin-bag him!

pably15 Tue 16-Apr-24 13:55:45

do you really have to ask???

Witzend Tue 16-Apr-24 13:57:35

Any man with 2 failed marriages behind him - especially marriages that produced children - would be a red flag for me.
I wouldn’t want to be discard no. 3, once he got itchy pants again.

Grammaretto Tue 16-Apr-24 13:59:21

Leave as fast as you can!
I had a girlfriend who sounded very like you. She got involved with a married man who left his wife and 2 tiny DC for her!

She kept making excuses for him.
Then one day she arrived back in their flat love nest to find the baby and toddler had been deposited there.

She phoned me to ask what to do. Anyway she left him soon afterwards. It was the wake up call she needed. Silly girl.

Cabbie21 Tue 16-Apr-24 13:59:48

Move on asap.

ElsaM Tue 16-Apr-24 14:00:00

Thanks to everyone who took your time to answer this.
First of all, this is true.
I think I actually have my answer already but whenever I think of the good times, it does hurt to let go, but I know I NEED to.
Your comments do contribute greatly to my decision making power. I need it. For that, thanks to all of you again.

Delila Tue 16-Apr-24 14:00:20

He sounds a real catch, OP.

Daisy25 Tue 16-Apr-24 14:21:13

I'd definitely walk away....you've already said you've spotted the red flags, too much baggage. If I was you I'd make myself really really busy and call it off. You are young enough to find much better. He has already lied to you and believe you me liars don't change they just get worse. It's about showing respect for you. He doesn't sound like someone who has a lot of respect for women. Good luck.