Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Advert from Damart

(27 Posts)
Auntieflo Sat 10-Feb-24 09:29:32

This advert popped into my inbox this morning.

Wouldn't you think that someone in the advertising department, would have spotted the spelling mistake?
Or don't they bother any more?

Greenfinch Sat 10-Feb-24 09:31:27

Appalling!

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 10-Feb-24 09:32:24

I before E except after C. Standards ain’t what they used to be.

Oreo Sat 10-Feb-24 09:32:42

A hanging offence!😂

NotSpaghetti Sat 10-Feb-24 09:56:09

Created in an art package so no automatic spellchecker?

Squiffy Sat 10-Feb-24 10:31:23

Or clever marketing?! Were we aware of what they’re offering before this thread? I’m applying positive thinking, but I suspect that it’s just sloppiness…

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 10-Feb-24 10:35:38

I don’t think they’re that clever.

Callistemon21 Sat 10-Feb-24 10:35:51

🙄

NotSpaghetti Sat 10-Feb-24 10:36:14

I don't think it's clever marketing Squiffy or I might remember what the advert was advertising! 🤣

JudyBloom Sat 10-Feb-24 10:42:50

Not correcting spelling mistakes is another sad sign of our times where standards have dropped. I have noticed it on a number of things.

Streaky Sat 10-Feb-24 12:06:22

I was always quite good at spelling at primary school, so I never bothered doing the homework. Then we had a test on ‘ie’ and ‘ei’.
I failed miserably, and was punished with the belt, yes corporal punishment for an 8 year old!
I still have to think twice about how to spell those words even although I know the rules . Perhaps I just have a mental block now because of that experience, scarred for life!

ixion Sat 10-Feb-24 12:12:09

I once wrote to Bentley, they of the posh cars, to point out the greengrocer's apostrophe in their full page ad in a colour supplement.
No reply ...

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 10-Feb-24 12:21:54

Let’s hope the person responsible was appropriately dealt with. It is a capital offence in the pedants’ handbook! 😁

sodapop Sat 10-Feb-24 12:31:03

gringrin GSM although I do remember reading something a while ago that contained many words where the ' i before e' rule did not apply.

Squiffy Sat 10-Feb-24 16:59:47

GSM and NotSpaghetti, I know you're right, but I'm ever the optimist!

Dempie55 Sat 10-Feb-24 17:06:04

Shocking, but so typical of adverts nowadays. I can’t believe how many holiday brochures fail to spell “accommodation” correctly!

grandtanteJE65 Sat 10-Feb-24 18:58:31

I doubt it is a spelling mistake, more likely someone was typing too fast, and did not read the advert through.

I have asked this before, but probably not on Pedant's corner:

Please when you add pictures with text, will you all do so in a format that can be enlarged?

I cannot be the only 72 year old that could not see the text and had to copy paste the picture into Word and enlarge it there to see what the discussion was about.

pinkquartz Sat 10-Feb-24 19:03:35

Damart are a French company . Could that be why?

Callistemon21 Sat 10-Feb-24 21:54:51

pinkquartz

Probably not as they'd employ a British web site designer for the UK market, I'd think.

Callistemon21 Sat 10-Feb-24 21:56:30

grandtanteJE65

I doubt it is a spelling mistake, more likely someone was typing too fast, and did not read the advert through.

I have asked this before, but probably not on Pedant's corner:

Please when you add pictures with text, will you all do so in a format that can be enlarged?

I cannot be the only 72 year old that could not see the text and had to copy paste the picture into Word and enlarge it there to see what the discussion was about.

It depends what device you're using I think.
Click on the picture which opens it in a new page, then you can enlarge the picture.

Auntieflo Sat 10-Feb-24 22:07:45

GrandtanteJE65, I am sorry that you couldn't see the photo clearly.
I used a screen shot and used the photo to add to my text.
I don't know how to format to make it bigger. I use an Ipad, and all I have to do is click on the picture, then move my fingers apart on the picture to enlarge it.

NotSpaghetti Sun 11-Feb-24 13:09:18

I am on an android phone at the moment. I just tap on it (as you do Auntieflo) and sort-of "stretch" it to reading size with my thumb and index finger.

If I was on my laptop K expect it would be a double click and then + (or control +) ?

Cossy Sun 11-Feb-24 13:41:19

It IS shocking and their proof reader/editor needs replacing.

Mistakes in written publications really “do my head in” grin

MaizieD Sun 11-Feb-24 14:40:10

pinkquartz

Are they?

When I lived near Bingley (Yorkshire) 50 years ago there was a Damart factory there. It had a big tall chimney with 'Damart' written on it. I've always thought it was British...

GrannySomerset Sun 11-Feb-24 14:45:07

“I before E except after C when the sound is EE”. Can’t think of a word where this doesn’t apply but expect Gransnetters will be able to. Still a very useful rule.