Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

It’s mum

(63 Posts)
nandad Wed 07-Feb-24 08:39:11

Keep seeing British posters using the word mom. Why? It’s mum or mother not mom. It causes confusion when the location of the poster is relevant if you are giving advice.

keepcalmandcavachon Wed 07-Feb-24 08:45:07

I never respond to anything other than Mummy, Mama or Your Ladyship dahlingsgrin

Fairislecable Wed 07-Feb-24 08:49:03

My Grandmother was born in 1895 and she and my mother always signed off cards with “love from Mom”.

Perhaps this is a regional thing from the midlands (UK).

Marriedalongtime Wed 07-Feb-24 08:53:00

Does it matter?

kittylester Wed 07-Feb-24 08:54:34

My lovely son in law from the Black Country always says Mom.

TinSoldier Wed 07-Feb-24 08:55:48

Fairislecable is correct.

It's chiefly used in America but also found in England used by people in or from the West Midlands.

Writer and actor, Meera Syal, who was born in Wolverhampton, uses it in her book Anita and Me her semi-autobiographical novel, based on her childhood in the mining village of Essington in Staffordshire.

Harris27 Wed 07-Feb-24 08:56:20

Geordieland girl here it’s ‘ mam’ or nithing for me.

NannyJan53 Wed 07-Feb-24 08:57:06

I am from the Black Country, and always say Mum, my brother on the other hand says Mom!

Aldom Wed 07-Feb-24 09:00:59

It is whatever a person calls their mother. Not for you or me to decide.

eazybee Wed 07-Feb-24 09:11:15

I was born and bred in Wolverhampton, considerably before Meera Syal, and never ever used or wrote 'mom, or knew anyone who did. I winced when I saw it in her book.

Scribbles Wed 07-Feb-24 10:15:10

My mother's family came from the West Midlands and female parents were always Mom. My father's parents were one from Cumbria and one from Tyneside and, in his family, the word used was Mam.
My own child always used my name - my preference. I can't understand why the OP or anyone else should be concerned about what other people call their mothers!

Calendargirl Wed 07-Feb-24 10:22:19

I like Mum.

Have always hated ‘Mam’, and not keen on ‘Mom’.

Sounds American.

But each to his/her own.

Grannybags Wed 07-Feb-24 10:23:31

My MiL from Stourbridge was Mom.

TerriBull Wed 07-Feb-24 10:36:58

I can't say I'm too bothered how people refer to their mum, there are regional differences. Having said that, I do think, there is an ever creeping Americanisation of words into the English version of English. My granddaughter describes a fringe as "bangs" I only learned recently what that means as to hair styling, it sounds utterly incongruous in the context of a piece of hair covering the forehead, which is summed up perfectly in my opinion by the word fringe. I suppose we should accept that language is ever changing and not set in stone hmm

midgey Wed 07-Feb-24 10:40:18

I went to Teacher Training college in Bradford, on teaching practice the children were taught to write Mom. Depends where you live!

Bodach Wed 07-Feb-24 10:41:50

My mother, born, bred and domiciled in the North of Scotland (as were we all), was always 'Mom' to us. She called her own mother (my Grannie) 'Ma'. None of my friends had a 'Mom'. I'm sure she must have told us why she chose to be called that, but time has erased any memory of her doing so. Knowing Mom, she probably did it to stand out from the crowd.

MaizieD Wed 07-Feb-24 10:47:31

As an Essex girl translocated to the NE I found it quite amusing that my 'northern born' offspring read the word 'mum' as 'mam', while I, of course, stick to my southern pronunciation.

I do admit that 'mom' grates a bit, but it's hardly a major issue.

welbeck Wed 07-Feb-24 10:59:27

we called our mother, ma.
when i was little i presumed that her name was martha, and that ma was a short form.
we also had far, and he called her, mother.

Bridie22 Wed 07-Feb-24 11:01:51

Another northerner here... I'm mam.

Kate1949 Wed 07-Feb-24 11:04:26

Its mom here in Birmingham and always has been. I am mom and my mother was mom. I've never heard anyone say mum. It's mOther after all, not mUther.

MaizieD Wed 07-Feb-24 11:22:33

^ It's mOther after all, not mUther.^

I'm afraid that those two sound exactly the same to me, Kate1949. grin

How would you pronounce 'other'?

Musicgirl Wed 07-Feb-24 11:30:10

It’s always been Mom in the West Midlands. My mother is from Tamworth originally and although my parents moved to Norfolk when they married, this was what l called her from the time l could talk. When I started school at nearly five, l almost immediately switched from Mommy to Mummy and pumps to plimsolls, thus fitting in with the other children. I still catch myself saying Mom from time to time. I can’t see anything wrong in it. In any case, although Americans might spell it Mom, it sounds like Marm to British ears.

Grammaretto Wed 07-Feb-24 11:31:48

Another anuther thing learned from GN.

My DM didn't like mum and we called her mummy or mother.
I'm known as mumbo occasionally shortened to mumb. 😀

MaizieD Wed 07-Feb-24 11:37:13

Grammaretto

Another anuther thing learned from GN.

My DM didn't like mum and we called her mummy or mother.
I'm known as mumbo occasionally shortened to mumb. 😀

What's the difference between 'mum' and 'mumb'?

This is all fascinating..

Kate1949 Wed 07-Feb-24 11:40:56

Mazie We would say mom as in Tom, mum as in tum. Probably us Brummies would say utha for other grin