Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

‘Journaling’ - just seen in a Boots online advertisement..

(32 Posts)
Witzend Sun 04-Feb-24 11:04:14

What happened to ‘keeping a journal’? Too many syllables to cope with, I suppose - 5 instead of 3.
I dare say it sounds more fashionable, too - at all the sort of boring thing old people did in their incredibly un-cool youths.

Callistemon21 Sun 04-Feb-24 11:54:56

I think journaling helps people cope with their stress and anxieties by writing them down day to day. Apparently that is what it means.

Whereas we just used to keep a diary.
I haven't kept one since I was about 16.

Septimia Sun 04-Feb-24 11:58:44

I do wish people would stop making verbs out of nouns!

Nothing wrong with keeping a diary...

Callistemon21 Sun 04-Feb-24 12:02:10

Septimia

It has a name. Who knew! 😲

Verbing:
the practice of using a noun as a verb.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 04-Feb-24 12:16:31

Like medalling🙄. Should it not have a double ‘l’ or are we being American?

Baggs Sun 04-Feb-24 12:28:02

At least it's not journalising.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 04-Feb-24 12:36:04

That’ll be along soon. Journalising your thoughts - I can see it now …

mae13 Sun 04-Feb-24 12:40:03

Samuel Pepys Journal? Nah, doesn't sound right.

winterwhite Sun 04-Feb-24 13:57:39

Think we already have diarising (is there a difference.) Impacting is another annoyance.
I’m inclined to blame newspapers - but then we’re told that nobody ever reads them 😆

TinSoldier Sun 04-Feb-24 14:09:40

To journal or journalize is old. It dates back to the mid 1700s and is not American.

Journal is from the French - papier journal - a day book. Diary is from Latin.

OED Journalize: To enter, record, or describe in or as in a private journal.

1774 Fanny Burney ( English writer )

Willingly ... do I comply with your request of journalizing to you during my stay at this place.

1775 Joseph Jekyll (English lawyer and politican, related to Gertrude Jekyll).

A little tour I had made for a week, and which I shall journalise after I have thanked you.

Journal as a shortened version, is first recorded in 1803 by English dramatist James Kenney. He produced more than forty plays and opera libretti and was a friend of Dickens and Thackeray.

Journaling has become a very popular activity to help with mental well-being and is often combined with art forms: drawing, painting, calligraphy, collage etc.

Helen Colebrook is a publisher author and well-known in journaling circles. She has a popular You Tube channel and works with Cult Pens using and promoting their products.

She's a little different to many of the art journalers on YouTube as she actively uses her journals to organise her busy days and weeks as well as documenting her thoughts and experiences, all illustrated by her art work.

In some respects, it has become an extension of card-making which was also very popular at one point but may be less so now.

Wheniwasyourage Sun 04-Feb-24 15:54:37

Germanshepherdsmum

Like medalling🙄. Should it not have a double ‘l’ or are we being American?

Just what I was thinking!

eazybee Sun 04-Feb-24 17:19:56

Country Homes and Interiors January 2024
"The power of journalling."
"Putting pen to paper and reflecting on our day can help us appreciate the moment and live a more harmonious life."

You can choose to write a: Gratitude, Prompted, Dream Bullet (?),Art, Free writing or Planning Journal, as well as Spiritual, Nature, Family, Home, Quick Journal or a Time Capsule.
And you can buy special books to write in, from £15 to £25.
Who knew?

TinSoldier Sun 04-Feb-24 17:48:28

There's a whole industry out there publishing books about and making materials for journaling, just as there is for card-making and other creative pursuits.

I think dream bullets are to do with when someone is going through a difficult time. It can help to jot down a bullet list of things that are happening in dreams to track if there are any recurring patterns which might carry some significance in waking life.

The whole movement is to do with slowing down, taking time to reflect, being mindful and creative.

JackyB Mon 05-Feb-24 09:20:34

I agree with GSM. The only thing that bothered me when I read the title of the thread was the single 'l'. I assumed someone had started to type it and predictive text had suggested the American spelling. Keping a diary is probably what is meant, though.

As TinSoldier describes, journals have come to mean what we would have called a scrap book.

Urmstongran Mon 05-Feb-24 09:30:19

Callistemon21

Septimia

It has a name. Who knew! 😲

Verbing:
the practice of using a noun as a verb.

I like how Googling has become a verb.

keepcalmandcavachon Mon 05-Feb-24 19:47:49

Pedanting gringringrin

Witzend Mon 05-Feb-24 19:51:40

keepcalmandcavachon

Pedanting gringringrin

I have a PhD in that. 🙂

Sparklefizz Mon 05-Feb-24 20:25:21

keepcalmandcavachon

Pedanting gringringrin

Love it !!!!

NotSpaghetti Tue 06-Feb-24 00:26:52

Germanshepherdsmum

That’ll be along soon. Journalising your thoughts - I can see it now …

You took the words right out of my mouth! grin

icanhandthemback Tue 06-Feb-24 11:13:28

I thought Journalling was much more of an art form than keeping a diary. More like a diary with drawings, stuff cut out and stuck in, etc. I have some from the 19th Century which I thought might interest someone but apparently they aren't thought of as valuable as everybody used to do it back then.

Amalegra Tue 06-Feb-24 11:14:34

I kept a diary for years-in the dreary old days when it was just a diary. I was young and it helped to write things down, just the not very exciting events of my everyday life. I didn’t go in for deep introspection. ‘Journaling’ seems hard work these days when you seem to be encouraged to analyse every mood, every thought. Mine often vary from hour to hour! It probably helps a lot of people but I don’t think it’s for me!

missdeke Tue 06-Feb-24 11:21:37

Septimia

So agree with you there. Drives me mad, 'Are you ready to Butlins?' 'How are you going to Big Garden Birdwatch' are two examples that were continually in use on the tv recently.

SeaWoozle Tue 06-Feb-24 11:30:42

I came across a diary of mine a few days ago as I was clearing out the garage for a house move. Just a few days when my eldest daughter (26) was about three. We'd gone away and for the most part it just said "Ellie got up very early and I'm tired"! I kept dream diaries when I was a teenager, which I still have. About four books in total. My head was all over the place for sure, with the stuff I used to dream about. The mind is truly fascinating!

SewnSew Tue 06-Feb-24 12:05:02

The one I hate is "gifting". And why do words like "up" and "out" keep getting attached to verbs? Like "sewing up" when sewing would do?

cc Tue 06-Feb-24 12:56:30

winterwhite

Think we already have diarising (is there a difference.) Impacting is another annoyance.
I’m inclined to blame newspapers - but then we’re told that nobody ever reads them 😆

Oh no, don't mention "impacting", I still really hate this, it sets me off on one.