Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Go get, go see, go visit, etc.

(32 Posts)
Witzend Wed 03-Jan-24 09:54:37

Instead of ‘go and get, go and see, etc.
Does it irritate anyone else?

(Non-pedants wanting to tell me to get a life need not bother replying, thank you.)

farmgran Wed 03-Jan-24 09:57:50

Witzend I agree with you. I can't stand it either!

Grandmabatty Wed 03-Jan-24 10:10:12

Two different actions therefore it requires a conjunction in between. A comma would only work in writing. I'm with you!

Shelflife Wed 03-Jan-24 10:15:21

Me too !

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 03-Jan-24 10:20:28

An American import I think. I can’t stand it either.

Mollygo Wed 03-Jan-24 10:24:56

May I add go to as well?
I often hear people say something is their go to solution or reference or help.

MaizieD Wed 03-Jan-24 10:44:18

TBH, I don't see anything wrong with 'go to', there's nothing missing from it as there is in the other examples (go and get, go to see, go to visit etc).

OTOH

"This is the solution we should go to in order to solve the problem" "This is the 'go to' solution"

Neither of these sentences are very pretty, but I can't see that they are incorrect.

I agree about the other examples.

Witzend Wed 03-Jan-24 10:47:45

Germanshepherdsmum

An American import I think. I can’t stand it either.

I don’t mind it from Americans - it’s just from Brits that it sets my teeth on edge!

eddiecat78 Wed 03-Jan-24 10:57:31

I've spent my whole life saying I'm "going a walk". (Not for a walk).As did my whole family .Didn't realise it was strange until I moved out of Warwickshire

Fleurpepper Wed 03-Jan-24 11:10:10

In the Midlands 'going + noun'- I'm going doctor's today.

But no, does not irritate me at all. I love language/s, warts and all.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 03-Jan-24 12:44:19

I don’t like it either.

sodapop Wed 03-Jan-24 12:45:36

Seems a lazy way of speaking I think Witzend

I have heard also " I'm going a walk" but in Yorkshire not Warwickshire. Also dislike "I'm going to go for a walk"

Baggs Wed 03-Jan-24 12:51:16

I'm going on a walk.

No idea where this is from as I've lived all over the place.

I tend to like idiomatic language even if it's technically not quite right for pedants. Also, there's a big difference, in my mind, between formal written language and casual spoken language.

Fleurpepper Wed 03-Jan-24 13:25:54

My MIL used to say things like 'I got it a present' - her MT was Afrikaans though.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 03-Jan-24 14:39:02

It annoys me too.

I started school in 1956 and in Scotland then it was drilled into us that we were never to use the verb "to get" if there were suitable alternatives.

I shudder to think what my teachers and my father would have said if I said "go get", "go find", or "go write" etc.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 03-Jan-24 14:44:42

MaizieD

TBH, I don't see anything wrong with 'go to', there's nothing missing from it as there is in the other examples (go and get, go to see, go to visit etc).

OTOH

"This is the solution we should go to in order to solve the problem" "This is the 'go to' solution"

Neither of these sentences are very pretty, but I can't see that they are incorrect.

I agree about the other examples.

To me the first sentence is wrong because you cannot go to an abstract concept such as a solution, only to a person or place!

And "the go to solution" is even worse, as in this phrase an infinitve "go" followed by the preposition "to" are being used as an adjectival phrase.

What is wrong with saying, as I at least was taught, "the obvious solution" or "the most useful solution"?

Musicgirl Wed 03-Jan-24 14:49:23

I can’t bear it. With all due respect to our American friends, this usage has come over from the USA via TV and films. I find it grating even in this context but obviously people are allowed to use their own version of the English language in their own country. It is when it comes here that it becomes much more irritating.

Georgesgran Wed 03-Jan-24 14:57:21

My SinL in Cheshire tells me her sons are ‘going golf’. She’s from Durham, so she must’ve picked it up down there. It sounds unfinished.

Oldnproud Wed 03-Jan-24 17:38:15

sodapop

Seems a lazy way of speaking I think Witzend

I have heard also " I'm going a walk" but in Yorkshire not Warwickshire. Also dislike "I'm going to go for a walk"

To me, "I'm going to go for a walk" and similar sentences are a standard way of expressing your intended plans. That particular structure had been taught to learners of English as a foreign or second language for as many years as i can remember. Am I missing something 😕?

TillyTrotter Wed 03-Jan-24 17:45:09

This has got me thinking Witzend.
I will take more notice as I am guilty of saying i.e. “go get me a broom please” to DH,
although I would not say “going walk” but “going for a walk”.
Language is interesting - and yes, sometimes annoying.

sodapop Wed 03-Jan-24 19:09:28

It just seems like saying the same thing twice Oldnproud. Why not say I'm going for a walk. Didn't think you could go to go.

Oldnproud Wed 03-Jan-24 19:42:20

I think you can put almost any infinitive you want after 'going' when talking about intentions or decisions for the future, sodapop, even 'to go' or 'to come'.

I get your point about it seeming, on the face of it, to be saying the same thing twice, but I think its use is perfectly acceptable in this particular structure. Each to their own, though. 🙂

BigBertha1 Wed 03-Jan-24 19:51:54

Irritates me too. here they miss out a word to e.g.' going Nottingham, going Leicester.

Greta Thu 04-Jan-24 09:31:36

Oldnproud, you are right. I learnt English from the age of 10. We were taught that "be going to" is used to express intention or an imminent event= I think it's going to rain/I am going to play tennis/going to go to the cinema".
"Going to go" is grammatically correct.

JackyB Thu 04-Jan-24 10:34:52

I am just so delighted that someone has found a new topic for Pedants' corner where threads normally revert to the same old, same old peeves by post 10.

Go figure!