Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Little things which really annoy!

(76 Posts)
Foxygloves Wed 16-Aug-23 19:34:58

I hesitated about whether I should perhaps have put this in TV etc but I know I am being pedantic.
It’s little things like mispronunciation of place names or getting them just wrong.
Edinburgh grans may wish to correct me but in tonight’s Annika, they referred to the Walter Scott Memorial.
All my life I have known it as the Scott Monument.
No?

choughdancer Wed 16-Aug-23 20:38:05

I keep being annoyed when I hear critique as a verb when I think they mean criticise; I may well be wrong.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 16-Aug-23 20:48:00

I have no idea about the Scott Monument but I constantly hear place names incorrectly pronounced. You would think someone would tell the newsreaders/ presenters the correct pronunciation. I’m easily aggravated, it doesn’t take much.

Juliet27 Wed 16-Aug-23 20:50:19

Then there’s that advert that says ‘if you suffer from artheritis.…’

Nannarose Wed 16-Aug-23 21:41:13

I am careful about giving out information on a public forum, so don't want to say where I live. But I could do with £1 for every time any place-names around here are mispronounced!

There was a very funny, rather minor radio series set here, written by a local author. I met her and after telling her how much I liked the characters and plots; I added that she must find it deeply irritating to hear our accent and dialect so mangled. She said that if they were to insist on accuracy, no-one would have made it - it would be too expensive and time-consuming!
A lot of this stuff you only know if you have spent time in an area (I wouldn't have picked up on the Walter Scott Monument / Memorial).

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 17-Aug-23 06:30:52

Choughdancer critique is indeed a verb, it means to evaluate something, usually an essay or book. Criticise has different meaning.

sassysaysso Thu 17-Aug-23 07:05:27

I recently heard the word troll, which I always thought was pronounced to rhyme with doll, pronounced to rhyme with role. Which is correct?

Blondiescot Thu 17-Aug-23 07:07:49

Foxygloves, I live just outside Edinburgh and I have never heard of it being called anything other than the Scott Monument! Incidentally, that's where my husband proposed to me - right at the very top!

Foxygloves Thu 17-Aug-23 07:46:02

Thank you Blondiescot ! I thought I couldn’t have got it wrong all those years ! grin

Aveline Thu 17-Aug-23 07:58:34

Yes. It's just the Scott monument. I have been up it but haven't had the same romantic experience there as Blondiescot's had.

Marydoll Thu 17-Aug-23 08:52:07

sassysaysso

I recently heard the word troll, which I always thought was pronounced to rhyme with doll, pronounced to rhyme with role. Which is correct?

In Glasgow it rhymes with role. Like everything else, it depends where you live.

Freya5 Thu 17-Aug-23 09:00:33

Germanshepherdsmum

I have no idea about the Scott Monument but I constantly hear place names incorrectly pronounced. You would think someone would tell the newsreaders/ presenters the correct pronunciation. I’m easily aggravated, it doesn’t take much.

Not only place names they mispronounced. Uvver, instead of other, innit, instead of isn't it, etc etc. Change or laziness speaking our language. Is any other language suffering from lazy talk.?

sassysaysso Thu 17-Aug-23 09:11:37

Thank you, that makes sense

ixion Thu 17-Aug-23 15:57:25

Any enjoyment I might have had from watching the Women's football semifinal was marred by frequent references to Aushtralia having schtretch themselves ... and more.

Callistemon21 Thu 17-Aug-23 16:30:01

Marydoll

sassysaysso

In Glasgow it rhymes with role. Like everything else, it depends where you live.

Well, it sounds like trole in the song.

"I'm a trole, fole de role" ("I'm a troll, fol de rol")
[[https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DSaoxI1DO6Sk&ved=2ahUKEwi10unigOSAAxUCmVwKHT0pDpwQtwJ6BAgPEAE&usg=AOvVaw0O9DuxWkrhcu1gWTyHn3l_

Callistemon21 Thu 17-Aug-23 16:30:28

www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DSaoxI1DO6Sk&ved=2ahUKEwi10unigOSAAxUCmVwKHT0pDpwQtwJ6BAgPEAE&usg=AOvVaw0O9DuxWkrhcu1gWTyHn3l_

sassysaysso Thu 17-Aug-23 16:51:11

@Callistemon21 Brilliant! That story has been on my mind and I remember reading it at primary school and the teacher pronounced the t word to rhyme with doll. I suppose I may have misremembered, it was half a century ago (more if I’m honest)

sassysaysso Thu 17-Aug-23 16:54:46

Or - whisper this - the teacher may have been wrong

Floradora9 Thu 17-Aug-23 21:52:13

There is a hill in Dundee called the law . The locals go mad when people call it the Law hill as law means hill . Not something that would bother me but many people find it irritating.

Callistemon21 Thu 17-Aug-23 22:08:13

sassysaysso

😁

Of course, that could be the singer's accent!

Callistemon21 Thu 17-Aug-23 22:10:46

Floradora9

There is a hill in Dundee called the law . The locals go mad when people call it the Law hill as law means hill . Not something that would bother me but many people find it irritating.

Rather like River Avon as Afon means river

Marydoll Thu 17-Aug-23 22:53:01

sassysaysso

Of course the teacher was wrong! I am a teacher and never wrong. It's troll to rhyme with role. 😂

Callistemon21 Thu 17-Aug-23 23:18:49

Are we allowed to mention the 't' word on GN anyway?

I feel as if I'll be banished to the corner with hands on head 🙆‍♀️ any minute now 😲

Casdon Thu 17-Aug-23 23:29:39

Callistemon21

Floradora9

Rather like River Avon as Afon means river

There’s a place in Leicestershire I know called Breedon on the Hill. It means ‘Hill, Hill on the Hill’, each conquering force adding their own version of the word Hill to the previous name.

nanna8 Fri 18-Aug-23 05:17:32

Germanshepherdsmum

You made me laugh at your last comment, GSM. You sound just like one of my friends , a Welsh lady, who always says it doesn’t take much to set her teeth on edge. Certainly she’s right,too. I don’t like people from overseas saying Mel ‘ borne’ instead of Mel ‘burn’. Sounds so wrong. No Aussie would do it. Also ‘ Carstlemaine’ instead of ‘ Castlemaine’. Castle pronounced as a northern English person would say it is the correct pronunciation.