Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Grab

(101 Posts)
Germanshepherdsmum Wed 02-Aug-23 17:27:35

I’m so fed up with hearing/reading that people are going to ‘grab’ a coffee, sandwich, whatever. Yesterday I was enjoying a programme featuring James Martin’s cooking - until he ‘grabbed’ four ingredients/items in one sentence. Why? What happened to ‘buying’ a coffee or sandwich and ‘taking’ ingredients? I don’t ‘grab’ anything unless I’m trying not to fall over or trying to keep hold of my dog.

Blondiescot Wed 02-Aug-23 17:29:39

I'm not sure where this came from - but it's everywhere now. 'Grab a bite to eat' etc. I think the only time I 'grab' something is if I'm trying not to fall over.

NotSpaghetti Wed 02-Aug-23 17:30:55

I dislike "can I get" when being served in a restaurant/cafe too! 🙄

hollysteers Wed 02-Aug-23 17:44:03

Not the same, but why do actors in films and plays always ‘grab’ or snatch a letter or document handed to them? We never do that in real life unless very angry🤔

GrannyGravy13 Wed 02-Aug-23 17:50:24

I am not a fan of using grab instead of get, buy, take etc.

Language is constantly evolving, just think how much the English language has changed since Shakespeare’s time. Using grab for multiple purposes is just another change.

maddyone Wed 02-Aug-23 17:50:49

This made me smile. I’m afraid I’m guilty as charged of saying oh just grab a ……. I must have picked it up from my daughter. My husband absolutely hates it, he’s with you all the way GSM.
I don’t like can I get either. Too Americanised.

Bella23 Wed 02-Aug-23 18:13:39

We don't grab things either and are irritated. by "can I get".
One of My DD's says I could murder a" brew". She knows we hate it even her sister pulls her up for it. Where she picked it up I do not know. Where we live we make tea and don't brew.

Harris27 Wed 02-Aug-23 18:18:14

Different areas different words. All guilty.

Cabbie21 Wed 02-Aug-23 18:21:46

I agree with hating Grab and Get.
And why do people Jump in the shower?

Georgesgran Wed 02-Aug-23 18:29:03

GSM you must be psychic or you’ve overheard a conversation between DD2 and me on Sunday! I hate ‘grab’. Usually, on cookery programmes it’s ‘grab an onion’ ‘grab a pan’ or ‘grab a bowl’. Is it meant to infer that collecting the ingredients is a quick job? I find ‘grab’ akin to snatching something before someone else gets there first.

Wyllow3 Wed 02-Aug-23 18:31:02

I don't mind "grab" although I don't use it. As far as I know it's just a new use of Brit English. (could be wrong)

I don't like "can I get" -its a US term and not one I want to borrow.

hollysteers Wed 02-Aug-23 18:32:57

Cabbie21😂 My jumping days are over…

I had a boyfriend who used to talk about us having our “din dins”
Crikey, we were in our fifties at the time…

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 02-Aug-23 18:33:43

Me to georgesgran. And yes Cabbie, jumping in the shower - sorry, no can do.

silverlining48 Wed 02-Aug-23 18:40:56

Jamie Oliver always talks about a hack. It was new to me. Still is.

I don’t like ‘can I get,’ annd always want to say it’s over there on the top shelf.

Don’t like grab either, it was an admonition in my youth, being told NOT to grab something.

V3ra Wed 02-Aug-23 18:57:37

My minded children's parents will sometimes message me to say what time they are going to come and "grab" their child! 😳

Bella23 Wed 02-Aug-23 19:07:27

Georgesgran

GSM you must be psychic or you’ve overheard a conversation between DD2 and me on Sunday! I hate ‘grab’. Usually, on cookery programmes it’s ‘grab an onion’ ‘grab a pan’ or ‘grab a bowl’. Is it meant to infer that collecting the ingredients is a quick job? I find ‘grab’ akin to snatching something before someone else gets there first.

You're right I think it's to make things look quick and easy as well. He must have thought to buy the onions why can't he just take one? Quite a few years ago one of my hairdressers had me Laughing,her boyfriend had bought her one of Jamie Olivers take "Thirty Minutes books." She said it took that long to get the ingredients and implements and chop them

Bella23 Wed 02-Aug-23 19:14:33

I do have one myself and DH says it so it must be regional, my sil used to laugh.
We Knock the lights out not switch them off. They said it sounded as if we were in a pub brawl. My DH also teams the vegetables where I would drain them, that's from two villages 2 miles apart.

Callistemon21 Wed 02-Aug-23 19:57:13

Cabbie21

I agree with hating Grab and Get.
And why do people Jump in the shower?

Well, I certainly don't!

And why, in books, do they always just 'pull on a top and jeans' in the mornings and then go out?
Do they not shower, dry, use deodorant, style their hair, wear underclothes, socks, shoes as well?

hollysteers Wed 02-Aug-23 21:55:02

Callistemon21 I shower at night, so I can just pull on a top and jeans in the morning, as well as the other things you mention.

LovesBach Wed 02-Aug-23 21:59:14

'Grab' sounds so unpleasant - it seems to go along with shoving other people out of the way. Why can we not just 'buy' a coffee or 'have' some lunch? ' Symptomatic of the speeded up life we are all supposed to be enjoying. I hate it!

Callistemon21 Wed 02-Aug-23 22:06:54

hollysteers

Callistemon21 I shower at night, so I can just pull on a top and jeans in the morning, as well as the other things you mention.

I'm glad you pull on the other items as well, shoes are important, hollysteers!

BlueBelle Wed 02-Aug-23 22:25:32

Afraid I m guilty I grab a quick sarnie or a brew or I ll grab my bag, phone etc on the way out.

Callistemon21 Wed 02-Aug-23 22:32:41

BlueBelle

Afraid I m guilty I grab a quick sarnie or a brew or I ll grab my bag, phone etc on the way out.

I think we're all grabbing a mac this summer.

nadateturbe Wed 02-Aug-23 22:39:36

You always make me smile Callistemon.

Callistemon21 Wed 02-Aug-23 22:44:01

There aren't enough smiles on GN lately, nadateturbe, we're missing some posters who always made me laugh, MissAdventure for one.