Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Sur le Pong......

(39 Posts)
CountessFosco Sat 22-Jul-23 16:47:59

If Elizabeth Alker on Saturday mornings mispronounces yet another foreign word or name, we shall throw the radio out the window. Not content with Duh-voor-jack, this morning's effort elicited Sur le Pong d'Avignong.

Riverwalk Sat 22-Jul-23 17:01:28

Well how do you pronounce Dvorak?

I'm not sure there is a correct way to pronounce foreign words - would you say 'Paree' or 'Mosc-vah'?

Fleurpepper Sat 22-Jul-23 17:01:36

Ah- perhaps she learnt her French in Marseilles or Toulouse - where they put 'g' at the end of most words.

ixion Sat 22-Jul-23 17:11:50

Channel 4 newsreader a while back informed us that strikes were heading for Amiens A-means.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 22-Jul-23 17:25:04

There’s a Sky newsreader who couldn’t pronounce President Hollande’s surname. She always, always sounded the H. I couldn’t understand why she was never taught the correct pronunciation.

CountessFosco Sat 22-Jul-23 17:26:04

Riverwalk

I'm not sure there is a correct way to pronounce foreign words - would you say 'Paree' or 'Mosc-vah'?

Well, this is name, not a place such as Par-ee etc.
We would say "Vourjzac" certainly without the D
But perhaps any Czech speakers might confirm?

MaizieD Sat 22-Jul-23 17:38:43

I'm not sure there is a correct way to pronounce foreign words

Isn't the correct way to pronounce foreign words the way that the foreigner whose words they are pronounce them? hmm

Riverwalk Sat 22-Jul-23 17:41:12

Seems you're wrong!

The D is there in this entertaining piece...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fRu6zAIbAo

Freya5 Sat 22-Jul-23 17:45:35

CountessFosco

If Elizabeth Alker on Saturday mornings mispronounces yet another foreign word or name, we shall throw the radio out the window. Not content with Duh-voor-jack, this morning's effort elicited Sur le Pong d'Avignong.

Oh what a shame,news reader pronouncing an unusual name. 1st world problems, and waste of a good radio.

Freya5 Sat 22-Jul-23 17:46:12

Should read mis pronouncing, oh dear.

Witzend Sat 22-Jul-23 17:53:23

I’ve always heard it pronounced Dvorzhak - the ‘d’ pronounced and the ‘zh’ like the ‘s’ in leisure. That’s how I say it, too.
I’m not sure why you’d not pronounce the ‘d’.

I did once study the Czech language for a year, but aeons ago and I’ve forgotten just about all of it, except the word for butcher, which begins with an ‘r’ pronounced like the R in Dvorak.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 22-Jul-23 17:57:54

My understanding of the pronunciation too Witzend, but I have no special knowledge. ‘Duh’ just doesn’t sound right to me and it’s not what I would say.

Callistemon21 Sat 22-Jul-23 18:27:47

MaizieD

^I'm not sure there is a correct way to pronounce foreign words ^

Isn't the correct way to pronounce foreign words the way that the foreigner whose words they are pronounce them? hmm

Well, in this country or if I was reading the news in the UK I'd pronounce Paris Parriss.
If in France, I'd pronounce it Paree.

We've all learnt how to pronounce Kyiv now!
Haven't we?

Not like the chicken dish.

Foxygloves Sat 22-Jul-23 18:36:47

Patronising or what OP?
FP makes a good (native speaker) point 👏👏

Foxygloves Sat 22-Jul-23 18:39:57

CountessFosco

Riverwalk

Well, this is name, not a place such as Par-ee etc.
We would say "Vourjzac" certainly without the D
But perhaps any Czech speakers might confirm?

I also did a year of Czech - and I would always have pronounced the D running it into the V so Dv so a bit like “div”not Duh Vuh
However I admit tho driving a Skoda NOT a Shkoda

Foxygloves Sat 22-Jul-23 18:41:26

So hard to come up with a phonetic version - on reflection maybe D’vorzhak

NotSpaghetti Sat 22-Jul-23 18:44:05

It's when English words are pronounced incorrectly that I get cross.
Research is a case in point! 😬

Dickens Sat 22-Jul-23 19:02:37

Freya5

CountessFosco

Oh what a shame,news reader pronouncing an unusual name. 1st world problems, and waste of a good radio.

This is Pedants' Corner. The whole purpose of it is to complain about such things which doesn't, of course, prevent anyone from being aware, or caring about, serious problems outside the first-world. Or even within it.

Dickens Sat 22-Jul-23 19:27:59

Germanshepherdsmum

There’s a Sky newsreader who couldn’t pronounce President Hollande’s surname. She always, always sounded the H. I couldn’t understand why she was never taught the correct pronunciation.

You've just made the same point my OH was agitating about this morning!

We frequently listen to Classic FM and he's puzzled why those chosen to continually announce the names of foreign composers don't appear to have been taught the correct pronunciation. His 'pet' peeve is the same as the OP's, but also "Mowsart" (grin).

Fleurpepper Sat 22-Jul-23 19:33:03

Many geographical names are pronounced differently by locals and non locals- in France as well as UK.

Like ChamoniX or Chamoni, or Stifkey or Stukey, etc, etc.

Dickens Sat 22-Jul-23 19:39:50

Joanna Lumley advertises the Norwegian mini-cruise, 'Hurtigruten'. Pronounced as one word.

Hurtig means "quick" and ruten means "the route".

However, JL splits it in two - "hurti-gruten" with the accent on the wrong letter (g). Which makes my Scandinavian OH fizzle with indignation.

However, I doubt most people even listen to the advert - but he thinks that's irrelevant.

MrsKen33 Sat 22-Jul-23 20:12:05

Most people don’t even try with Welsh words.

Callistemon21 Sat 22-Jul-23 20:13:58

Fleurpepper

Many geographical names are pronounced differently by locals and non locals- in France as well as UK.

Like ChamoniX or Chamoni, or Stifkey or Stukey, etc, etc.

Good point.

Our satnav woman cannot pronounce our town's name!
I always shout at her.

Callistemon21 Sat 22-Jul-23 20:14:39

MrsKen33

Most people don’t even try with Welsh words.

😂😂😂

Now, what are the Brecon Beacons now?

Callistemon21 Sat 22-Jul-23 20:16:58

Elizabeth Alker

I shall ask quietly - who is she?
And is her surname pronounced Al ker or All ker?
Or even Al Keer with the emphasis on the Keer?