Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Pet hate

(35 Posts)
sodapop Sun 02-Jul-23 12:44:52

As I have said previously one of my pet hates is the mispronounciation of the word Turmeric, so often pronounced tumeric. Today was the worst one yet when on BBC radio 2 it was called chewmerrick grrrrangry

MiniMoon Sun 02-Jul-23 13:07:12

I quite agree sodapop, it irritates me too.

Wheniwasyourage Sun 02-Jul-23 14:53:07

It's like libary and Febuary, both of which have me shouting at the TV or radio!

Riverwalk Sun 02-Jul-23 15:09:51

mispronounciation

Glass houses? grin

Tattooedfidelma Sun 02-Jul-23 15:27:38

My pet hate is when people say “passed away/passed” instead of died. We seem terrified to say that someone is dead but passed away doesn’t mean anything. I don’t remember this term ever being used when I was young.

NanaDana Sun 02-Jul-23 16:19:47

Riverwalk

mispronounciation

Glass houses? grin

gringringrin

welbeck Sun 02-Jul-23 17:32:58

i do remember passed away being used long ago, it seemed more polite, more gentle to the bereaved person.
passed is i think an american equivalent.

LRavenscroft Sun 02-Jul-23 21:11:17

Tattooedfidelma

My pet hate is when people say “passed away/passed” instead of died. We seem terrified to say that someone is dead but passed away doesn’t mean anything. I don’t remember this term ever being used when I was young.

You wouldn't like me. I use passed away instead of died.

Patsy70 Sun 02-Jul-23 21:19:03

It’s TURMERIC fgs! What the …. is TUMERIC? 🙄

keepcalmandcavachon Sun 02-Jul-23 21:35:09

Oh my, I thought this was thread about what our pets hated, I'm fairly sure my little cavachon boy loathes it when people ask me if she is a poodle.

Oldbat1 Sun 02-Jul-23 22:08:23

I use died! I have never used passed which isnt the real word describing death.

Jane43 Sun 02-Jul-23 22:13:25

sodapop

As I have said previously one of my pet hates is the mispronounciation of the word Turmeric, so often pronounced tumeric. Today was the worst one yet when on BBC radio 2 it was called chewmerrick grrrrangry

John Torode does this, it is very irritating.

BigBertha1 Sun 02-Jul-23 22:26:32

There is a radio appeal on lately for Cansarh Research....drives me mad

lovingit Sun 02-Jul-23 23:02:55

fur baby
rainbow bridge

Sparklefizz Mon 03-Jul-23 08:20:49

May I just jump in .... I know this is not the same but there are some celebs' laughs that I just can't stand..... eg. Elaine Page (she snorts), Amanda Holden and Alesha Dixon (they cackle like a coven of witches) and recently discovered Vernon Kay (now on Radio 2) laughs like he's demented.

Blondiescot Mon 03-Jul-23 08:23:26

welbeck

i do remember passed away being used long ago, it seemed more polite, more gentle to the bereaved person.
passed is i think an american equivalent.

Yes, I can remember it being used for years. It doesn't bother me at all. In fact, my MiL passed away on Friday.

FarNorth Mon 03-Jul-23 08:28:51

keepcalmandcavachon

Oh my, I thought this was thread about what our pets hated, I'm fairly sure my little cavachon boy loathes it when people ask me if she is a poodle.

Yes, at school our English teacher gave 'pet hates' as an example of a topic for the little talks he wanted us to do to the class.
I thought he meant things our pets hated 😸

(I dreaded having to give a talk but I never had to do it because they were done alphabetically and my initial was never reached. 😊 )

eazybee Mon 03-Jul-23 10:09:41

'as the story goes,'
frequently followed by,' I expect I have told you'.

Yes You Have! but it never stops a full recital of a story I have heard many times.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 03-Jul-23 10:20:30

‘And the rest is history’. 😡

TerriBull Mon 03-Jul-23 10:34:27

'ospidal = Hospital. I remember Bill Nighy commenting, although not being really specific pacific, merely pointing out it's baby talk grin

My husband as he is prone to do from time to time, gets up the side bar of shame on the DM, whilst snorting with derision, he often asks me who such and such a person is, usually I have no idea, unless it's the ubiquitous Amanda Holden/Katie Price. Then he goes on to further enquire "what does posing up a storm mean?" How the hell should I know" comes my riposte, "all I can say is I'm pretty certain I don't do it shock well at least, not anymore!"

Blondiescot Mon 03-Jul-23 10:36:17

Pacifically - when they mean specifically, or defiantly instead of definitely.
Although my late dad used to insist that a group of three related things was a triology, not a trilogy, no matter how many times you tried to tell him!

Juliet27 Mon 03-Jul-23 10:39:46

I expect I have told you'.

I’m afraid I’ve often said something like that in the hope that I’ll be interrupted if it is a repeat but people are probably too polite

Juliet27 Mon 03-Jul-23 10:43:50

Sparklefizz

May I just jump in .... I know this is not the same but there are some celebs' laughs that I just can't stand..... eg. Elaine Page (she snorts), Amanda Holden and Alesha Dixon (they cackle like a coven of witches) and recently discovered Vernon Kay (now on Radio 2) laughs like he's demented.

A crow wakes me most morning sounding just like Alan Carr’s awful laugh.

Iam64 Mon 03-Jul-23 11:02:59

‘Crate’ instead of ‘create’. Aaargh

rockgran Mon 03-Jul-23 11:42:10

I hate it too but I think "tumeric" is an accepted American pronunciation and spelling - a bit like "aluminum" instead of aluminium. It still make me grit my teeth!grin