Pedants' corner

Punctuation matters

(31 Posts)
Elegran Thu 06-Apr-23 20:13:05

A gem from Facebook.

Squiffy Thu 06-Apr-23 20:17:29

😆

Calendargirl Fri 07-Apr-23 07:44:16

Just been reading a job advert on my local Facebook page. It was for a car sales rep.

Full of ‘car’s’, ‘sale’s’, ‘customer’s’ etc. The apostrophe in the wrong place in every sentence.

The job required excellent computer skills, as everything was computer based.

Just not the punctuation.

absent Fri 07-Apr-23 08:12:32

The one I really love is: "Those things over there are my husbands." Those things over there are my husband's".

argymargy Fri 07-Apr-23 08:14:17

I'm not a fan of the Oxford comma - each of those sentences could have been easily re-ordered to negate the need for a comma. Bah humbug!

FannyCornforth Fri 07-Apr-23 08:57:45

I’ve seen this example lots of times.
It’s obviously a joke, but I didn’t know whether it was apocryphal or not.
Anyway, after much googling, it turns out that it was based on a dedication in a real book (1964) which did actually used the Oxford comma (or serial comma).
The second part (the Mandela bit) was tagged on later, and was based on a TV listing for a Peter Ustinov travel programme.

tickingbird Fri 07-Apr-23 09:10:31

Another one here that has no time for the Oxford comma. Ordinary commas are quite sufficient imo.

Ramblingrose22 Sat 08-Apr-23 14:18:21

DH has never been ale to master the rules bout apostrophes and often makes a noun into a plural to void having to guess where the apostrophe needs to go.

I don't know which is worse!

grandtanteJE65 Sat 08-Apr-23 14:24:43

Elegran

A gem from Facebook.

How right you are!

I am, and have always been, a firm believer in the Oxford comma, which was insisted upon in both of the Scottish schools I went to.

grandMattie Sat 08-Apr-23 16:51:32

My husband always used to quote “extra-marital sex is recommended “/“extra marital sex is recommended “ for the use of the hyphen… 😂

Fflaurie Mon 01-May-23 11:39:37

There was a post on FB yesterday advertising an educational toy. One comment was : 'My sons got this, it learns him lots of different things'.

Fflaurie Mon 01-May-23 11:41:24

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Primrose53 Mon 01-May-23 12:56:05

There was a shop in a town near us with a huge permanent sign inside advertising lighter’s, battery’s, belt’s, key’s cut, trophy’s and loads more in a similar vein. It was there for years.

Blondiescot Mon 01-May-23 13:00:55

Ahh yes, the aberrant apostrophe. Drives me mad. There used to be a shop near a former workplace of mine which was a similar offender - they had a blackboard outside and I used to sneakily rub off all those apostrophes every time I passed!

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 01-May-23 13:05:52

I constantly wish I could correct grammar and spelling on GN.

Spinnaker Mon 01-May-23 13:58:30

Germanshepherdsmum

You and me both GSM smile

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 01-May-23 14:05:18

😊

Primrose53 Mon 01-May-23 14:31:32

In a previous life I worked as a Tele-Ad assistant and then progressed to copywriter in an advertising agency. I went back to College and qualified as a Teacher. I also taught typing and shorthand in both schools and Adult Ed. Computers came along and I taught word processing and then marked exam papers for a couple of exam boards for several years. In between I wrote verses for birthday cards. The sloppier the better! 🤣

So words have always been important to me and I can spot an error a mile off although, I have to say, it doesn’t really bother me these days because so much is in text form or computer speak. It’s definitely not nice to correct spelling or grammar in the writing of others as some people really struggle or may have had a poor experience of school.

Baggs Mon 01-May-23 14:55:07

Gotta like something that gets some people in such a stew 😂

Blondiescot Mon 01-May-23 15:14:00

Well, actually - grammar and punctuation can make a big difference. It's the difference between knowing your sh*t and knowing you're sh*t, for example.
And in some cases, it can even save lives. Let's eat, grandma - or let's eat grandma.

choughdancer Mon 01-May-23 16:01:10

Germanshepherdsmum

Me too, although I'm glad there is an (unspoken?) rule not to do so, except on Pedants' Corner. As Primrose53 says, there are reasons for a lack of spelling or grammatical prowess that are not necessarily the writer's fault.

One thing I see on lots of posts is an extra space being left before a comma, either in addition to a space after the comma, or instead of. It seems to happen throughout the post, so intended rather than being a random mistake.

In the O.P.'s original example wouldn't semi-colons be more appropriate, as each 'item' contains more than one word?

Sorry for ending a sentence with a preposition!

MerylStreep Mon 01-May-23 16:13:46

Fflaurie

There was a post on FB yesterday advertising an educational toy. One comment was : 'My sons got this, it learns him lots of different things'.

Has it never crossed your mind that English might not be their first language.

Moonwatcher1904 Mon 01-May-23 16:20:50

The writing and spelling on FB is unbelievable. Carnt instead of can't, happend instead of happened, gunna instead of going to. That's only a few but a good one that crops up regularly is - Dose any body no instead of Does anybody know.

Baggs Mon 01-May-23 16:23:20

Blondiescot

Well, actually - grammar and punctuation can make a big difference. It's the difference between knowing your sh*t and knowing you're sh*t, for example.
And in some cases, it can even save lives. Let's eat, grandma - or let's eat grandma.

Absolutely! I wasn't disagreeing about the importance of punctuation and grammar, just mentioning the amusement I derive from threads like this.

Beechnut Mon 01-May-23 16:26:25

Spinnaker

Germanshepherdsmum

You and me both GSM smile

It would take up all your time with me alone 🤣