Gransnet forums

News & politics

Prayer ban at Katharine Birbalsingh’s school is lawful, High Court rules .

(282 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 16-Apr-24 11:08:46

Yay! 😁
Common sense has prevailed.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 16-Apr-24 11:09:56

Good. At what cost to the taxpayer though?

Anniebach Tue 16-Apr-24 11:10:03

Do tell please

Anniebach Tue 16-Apr-24 11:11:04

Sorry didn’t have specs on, great news

Urmstongran Tue 16-Apr-24 11:11:45

From The Telegraph just now:

“ The High Court has ruled a prayer ban at Katharine Birbalsingh’s school is lawful.

Ms Birbalsingh, who founded Michaela Community School, said she introduced the prayer ban in March last year “against a backdrop of events including violence, intimidation and appalling racial harassment of our teachers”.

A Muslim pupil, who cannot be named, claimed the prayer policy was discriminatory and “uniquely” affects her faith.

Michaela school, in Brent, north-west London, was ranked top in the country last year for “Progress 8”, a measure of how much a secondary school has helped pupils improve since primary school.

Its strict rules include silence in corridors, pupils ending every interaction with teachers with “sir” or “miss”, and a tracking system whereby pupils “must pay constant attention” during lessons.

High Court rules ban lawful
In an 83-page judgment dismissing the student’s case, Mr Justice Linden said: “It seems to me that this is a case ... where the claimant at the very least impliedly accepted, when she enrolled at the school, that she would be subject to restrictions on her ability to manifest her religion.

“She knew that the school is secular and her own evidence is that her mother wished her to go there because it was known to be strict.

“She herself says that, long before the prayer ritual policy was introduced, she and her friends believed that prayer was not permitted at school and she therefore made up for missed prayers when she got home.”

Jaxjacky Tue 16-Apr-24 11:13:12

Crossed posting Urms I just updated the original post.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 16-Apr-24 11:14:45

I hope whichever lefty lawyer has been acting for her isn’t frantically looking for grounds to appeal. They’re not known for accepting defeat.

Anniebach Tue 16-Apr-24 11:19:32

Thank you , hope there isn’t an appeal or gathering outside the school

MissInterpreted Tue 16-Apr-24 11:22:56

Good. Religion should play no part in a state education. If parents wish for their children to have a religious education, they should be prepared to pay for it.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 16-Apr-24 11:25:49

Exactly. You don’t choose a school for its methods and then try to change the rules to suit your own minority wishes.

Smileless2012 Tue 16-Apr-24 11:35:52

Thanks Urmstongran for sharing the Telegraph's piece on this.

It's very good news and Ms. Birbalsingh must be thrilled and relieved.

Labradora Tue 16-Apr-24 11:37:49

Yay indeed

Mollygo Tue 16-Apr-24 11:38:00

Germanshepherdsmum

Exactly. You don’t choose a school for its methods and then try to change the rules to suit your own minority wishes.

This.
👏👏👏

Katie59 Tue 16-Apr-24 11:39:44

I didnt realise that schools like this existed anymore, I can only applaud their standards, it sounds like my school half a century ago.

Spinnaker Tue 16-Apr-24 11:41:36

Common sense prevails at long last !

Joseann Tue 16-Apr-24 11:44:28

Good, as long as she is fair about prayer rituals to all religions that's fine.

Cossy Tue 16-Apr-24 11:47:14

Joseann

Yes. But great to hear of a secondary school with such high strict standards.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 16-Apr-24 11:57:28

If only more were like that.

Joseann Tue 16-Apr-24 12:03:20

School standards are usually set by the person at the top, and filter down. Not all heads have KB's guts!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 16-Apr-24 12:19:21

Common sense at last 👍

Urmstongran Tue 16-Apr-24 12:23:37

More from The Telegraph:

Pupil who brought challenge ‘very disappointed’
The pupil who brought the legal challenge said in a statement provided by law firm Simpson Millar: “I am obviously very disappointed that the judge did not agree with me.

“As is set out in the judgment, I do not agree that it would be too hard for the school to accommodate pupils who wished to pray in the lunch break.

“The school is very well run and generally very good at managing everything. The school doesn’t wish to allow pupils to pray, has chosen a different path and the judge has found in their favour.

“Even though I lost, I still feel that I did the right thing in seeking to challenge the ban. I tried my best and was true to myself and my religion.

“Being involved in this case has not been easy for me ... The teachers are very good here and I hope to do the best that I can. I am also grateful for the understanding that my non-Muslim friends at school have shown as to the issues that affect us.”

Urmstongran Tue 16-Apr-24 12:24:24

“Pupil’s mother ‘profoundly dismayed’ by outcome
The pupil’s mother said she was “profoundly dismayed by the case’s outcome”.

In a comment issued by law firm Simpson Millar, she said: “The case was rooted in the understanding that prayer isn’t just a desirable act for us - it’s an essential element that shapes our lives as Muslims.

“In our faith, prayer holds undeniable importance, guiding us through each challenge with strength and faith.”

She added: “My daughter’s impassioned stance compelled me to support her and I stand firm in that decision.

“Her courage in pursuing this matter fills me with pride and I’m confident she’s gained invaluable lessons from the experience.”

Urmstongran Tue 16-Apr-24 12:27:13

Yeah right mum.
You knew the score when you enrolled your daughter. You took a punt here.

eazybee Tue 16-Apr-24 12:53:10

The mother and daughter knew exactly what they were doing when they selected the school, and in later bringing this challenge to the school's ethos.
These challenges won't end here, unfortunately.

Oreo Tue 16-Apr-24 13:00:36

Cossy

Joseann

Yes. But great to hear of a secondary school with such high strict standards.

It’s a secular school.