Gransnet forums

News & politics

Does Israel want full scale war in the Middle East?

(317 Posts)
foxie48 Sun 14-Apr-24 19:39:31

I heaved a sigh of relief that most of Iran's drones and missiles had been brought down without reaching Israel and it seems little damage has been done, but it seems that is not the end of it. So, what do you think is going on? Does Israel need to have a full scale war with Iran and what do you think it would achieve or is this really about keeping Netanyahu's right wing govt on side?

silverlining48 Sun 14-Apr-24 20:05:30

For what it’s worth I think the latter. It’s been clear Iran did not want a war with Israel and wanted to keep a distance until Israel bombed their embassy in Syria.
Iran then had no choice but to retaliate which i think feeds right into the hands of Netanyahu and his cronies. Israel has the weapons to defend itself and defeat Iran. We live in dangerous times.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 14-Apr-24 20:26:17

Iran backs Hamas, Hezbollah along with The Houthi’s…

Callistemon21 Sun 14-Apr-24 21:17:19

Does Israel want full scale war in the Middle East?

No.

There might, though.

Callistemon21 Sun 14-Apr-24 21:17:58

Oh, I am so fed up with Autocorrect.

Others might, though.

Vintagewhine Sun 14-Apr-24 21:28:47

Who do you think would benefit from a war? The US doesn't want it, Iran seemed happy to have a proxy war, I don't think any of the countries nextdoor to Israel are keen. Israel has superior weapons to all of them put together. Who benefits?

Norah Sun 14-Apr-24 21:48:11

I don't believe Israel wants a war.

It also seems other countries won't take part in a counter-offensive against Iran escalating the situation.

Before Church I read Joe Biden had a phone meeting with Italy, Germany, Japan, Canada - all of one mind to defend Israel but not escalate.

Ziplok Sun 14-Apr-24 22:05:34

Who benefits Vintagewine? I think possibly Russia does, as it detracts media attention from their attack on Ukraine and their further intentions. I suspect they give weapons to countries in the ME who support them, but of course, I could be wrong…

JenniferEccles Sun 14-Apr-24 22:47:24

I feel so sorry for the Israelis.
It seems to me that virtually every other country in the Middle East wants Israel and its people wiped off the face of the earth. They are battling for their very existence against various extremist and terrorist organisations in those countries.

It’s significant that Israel is the only democracy in that part of the world.

I do hope they continue to have the support of us, the US and other western countries.

Anniebach Sun 14-Apr-24 22:51:09

I so agree JenniferEccles

maddyone Sun 14-Apr-24 23:16:08

So do I JenniferEccles.

nanna8 Mon 15-Apr-24 00:04:02

It’s a horrible and dangerous situation, not helped by interference from outsiders. It makes me ill when I see all the middle eastern flags and hate messages being spouted in western countries and I wouldn’t want to be Jewish just now.

Wyllow3 Mon 15-Apr-24 00:31:37

I'm glad this was brought up as I try to understand - asking the same questions.

The situation with Palestine was left with a pause where certain military elements in the Israeli government wanted to move on Rafah but international pressure was for a longer cease fire and relationships with the West were not comfortable.

Then next thing that happened was that Israel bombed the embassy in Syria - the Iranian embassy in Damascus.

Iran responded with far greater force with a direct attack on Israel, which was mainly thwarted by Israeli action.

This is explained from I player...
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68812884

Biden has promised "We've got your back" but "In return, the Americans want restraint from Israel."

President Biden sent Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu a clear message. Iran's attack has been thwarted, Israel has a victory, so do not escalate this any further by responding with military strikes on Iranian soil."

The article adds, "Prime Minister Netanyahu might draw some satisfaction with the way that the Iran attack removed Gaza from the headlines. It gives him a respite from the humanitarian catastrophe, and Israel's failure to achieve its war aims of freeing the hostages and crushing Hamas."

It seems intractable. I also feel concerned for Jordan, who do not wish to get drawn into any conflict.

Candelle Mon 15-Apr-24 01:36:25

No, of course Israel does not want war.

The war in Gaza was began by Hamas, from buildings (hospitals, schools, residential buildings and mosques) thus ensuring that any retaliation by Israel would kill thousands of innocent residents. Hamas made no effort to ready food and medicines etc., for their people, knowing the world would lap up scenes of unmitigated suffering. Hamas did not care.

Last night, Jordan actually downed some Iranian missiles fired into Israel.

Jordan has been highly critical of Hamas' strategy in Gaza.

The missiles last night were fired not only by Iran but also by Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and Yeman.

I have no idea if Netanyahu can stay in office as he is deeply unpopular but do think that a strong leader is essential, particularly whilst little Israel, practically surrounded by those who wish it death, are at work again.

Anniebach Mon 15-Apr-24 02:01:39

I wish the world would listen to Lily Ebert, she was asked if
the hatred would again cause holocaust, her reply -it’s happening now.

Vintagewhine Mon 15-Apr-24 08:17:22

It seems to have taken the focus off Gaza and forced the US and the UK to back Israel by shooting down the drones and missiles. Apparently Biden is furious that Israel attacked the embassy without discussing it first. This was a step too far IMO. Strikes me Netanyahu is calling the tune and it's going to end in a proper war that will involve the UK.

Iam64 Mon 15-Apr-24 08:32:37

I can’t begin to unravel this increasingly frightening situation. It seems like over reactions result in increased fighting which causes more over reactions and so it goes
Netanyahu is dangerous, surrounded by extremists. Iran wants the end of Israel, supported by Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Yemen and from demonstrations on our streets , so do many here. It is indeed the Holocaust

GrannyGravy13 Mon 15-Apr-24 08:37:50

USA, U.K., Jordan and France intercepted drones and ballistic missiles fired from Iran, Saudi Arabia provided back up.

Iran is the hostile state, sponsoring terrorism throughout the region.

Iran backed Hamas on 7/10 as it was uncomfortable with improving Israel / Arab relations.

Lily Ebert is correct.

ronib Mon 15-Apr-24 09:09:06

I thought the reason for bombing the Syrian embassy was to target and remove
three military leaders. So arguably a legitimate target? Seven people died. To retaliate with a 300 weapon attack on Israel which thankfully was thwarted in the main, shows to my mind that Iran has lost the plot.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 15-Apr-24 09:20:27

ronib 👍

maddyone Mon 15-Apr-24 09:33:53

I think Iran lost the plot a long time ago. It funded Hamas and celebrated it’s medieval massacre on 7/10. The reason for this whole situation needs to be regularly reiterated as some people forget what actually started this particular episode. Netanyahu is not popular in the world, or particularly in Israel possibly, but to blame him alone is both naive and biased. The whole sorry current situation has been brought about by Hamas and it’s backers. And yes, I am aware that there is a long history.

maddyone Mon 15-Apr-24 09:34:42

ronib and GrannyGravy 👍

maddyone Mon 15-Apr-24 09:36:38

Nonetheless I, probably like others, am extremely concerned about the current situation.

foxie48 Mon 15-Apr-24 10:08:16

So many people are saying that Israel is fighting for it's survival and to some extent, of course, it is. A tiny country with a small population which is surrounded by potentially hostile countries. I think it's important to note that not all of the countries are currently hostile to Israel and although they do not want another war in the Middle East it doesn't mean they are friends of Israel. However, I think a big threat to Israel is the division between it's own population. Secular Jews are nearly half of the population and provide most of the children for National Service in the IDF. Hasidic Jews are heading towards 16% of the population and their children can, and do, dodge going into the IDF to do military service to read the Torah instead whilst being supported by the rest of the population. Secular jews have a birthrate below 2 so are not replacing themselves and the Ultra orthodox is 6.6. Religious Jews who are not Hasidic, also have a higher birthrate than secular Jews.So Israel is becoming an increasingly non secular country, with an increasingly greater number wanting expansion into what they see as their rightful lands and far fewer young people doing military service (unless they discontinue Toratu Umanuto)
A recent poll gave 25% of secular Jews were considering leaving Israel stating the internal politics and constant threat of war as main reasons. A friend's mother lives in Cyprus, a mere 40minute flight from Israel, she said Cyprus is full of Israelis, particularly younger people dodging the draft and many Israeli companies have moved there too. It is of note that Netanyahu's son has not returned to Israel from the US to rejoin the IDF! I can't help but look ahead 10/15 years and wonder what Israel will be like as a country and it looks neither peaceful or prosperous and potentially much less able to defend itself but you might have other thoughts.

Anniebach Mon 15-Apr-24 10:11:20

Seems if most of the world gets it way in 10/15 years there will be no Jews in Israel