Gransnet forums

News & politics

Bondi attack.

(64 Posts)
nanna8 Sat 13-Apr-24 09:16:34

Just one man with a knife has caused absolute chaos, stabbing several people including a 9 month old baby. Thanks goodness the police shot him and didn’t muck around as they have in some previous incidents. A lot of people assisting. We don’t expect this here, it doesn’t happen often. We are all in shock.

Juliet27 Sat 13-Apr-24 09:19:20

My goodness nanna that’s awful. I often think how much ‘calmer’ Australia is than here but let’s hope such incidents remain rare there.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 13-Apr-24 09:22:21

I am watching this on the BBC, thank goodness that the female (?) police officer thought quickly and she was armed.

Anniebach Sat 13-Apr-24 09:23:25

I am watching the news, horrific

Jaxjacky Sat 13-Apr-24 09:24:45

Just heard that GG13 great presence of mind by her.

Callistemon21 Sat 13-Apr-24 10:20:30

I haven't seen the news, nanna8, will now take a look.

It sounds shocking.
I know your police are sometimes accused of being heavy-handed but in this instance thank goodness he was shot otherwise it could have been even more tragic.

Smileless2012 Sat 13-Apr-24 10:45:10

It's being said there were two assailants, one shot and killed and the other still being looked for. It's a very disturbing situation and more so for anyone who lives there.

It's understandable that you are in shock nanna flowers.

Callistemon21 Sat 13-Apr-24 10:49:31

I just asked DH as he saw the early news and he said it had been reported that there were two assailants, but the latest reports seemed to indicate one.

henetha Sat 13-Apr-24 10:51:27

Nowhere seems free of these dreadful knife attacks these days.
So sorry this has happened in peaceful Australia.

JaneJudge Sat 13-Apr-24 10:53:19

It is awful. sad

nanaK54 Sat 13-Apr-24 11:15:55

Shocking news.

Aveline Sat 13-Apr-24 11:24:35

How stunningly awful. Dreadful to even think of stabbing anyone -but a baby!! How could he? Well done that WPC.

Devorgilla Sat 13-Apr-24 11:42:06

One of my grandsons is over there at the moment on a work visa. I emailed him when I saw the breaking news. Thankfully, although on their way towards the centre, he and his friends were warned by others not to go in. He said they saw the crowds and heard the shots. Frightening indeed.

Callistemon21 Sat 13-Apr-24 12:03:50

Have you had any updates, nanna8?

Was it a lone attacker?

Cabowich Sat 13-Apr-24 12:09:25

My son's out there. I contacted him as soon as I saw the headlines. He and his family are all OK, thank goodness, but I had to tell him what was going on - he hadn't heard about it! He's never been a news-watcher - not sure whether that's a good thing or not.

tickingbird Sat 13-Apr-24 12:13:04

My thoughts are with the deceased and the other injured victims. I’m glad the attacker is dead.

nanna8 Sat 13-Apr-24 12:30:04

It was a lone attacker. Lots of videos of him running around with a huge knife. He was shot dead, thankfully, after coming towards the policewoman with the knife. The shopkeepers hid people and a couple of shoppers rendered first aid to the woman and baby. So far 5 have died. Horrible situation, he looked as though he was drugged up just running around the centre. Pray those who are in hospital recover and so sad for the families of the deceased.

Callistemon21 Sat 13-Apr-24 12:32:00

Pray those who are in hospital recover and so sad for the families of the deceased.

We are thinking of all of them
flowers

BlueBelle Sat 13-Apr-24 12:33:49

I have a grandaughter out there travelling and working She’s ok

Georgesgran Sat 13-Apr-24 12:46:11

I’ve just seen it on TV news.
The baby’s mother is one of the fatalities.
Give that Police Officer a medal!

Moonwatcher1904 Sat 13-Apr-24 12:51:35

Well said Georgesgran.

Frenchgalinspain Sat 13-Apr-24 12:55:59

Oh my. Horrid news.

So sorry to hear.

Speedy recovery wishes to all those injured in this tragedy.

I am pleased to hear the Police Officer eliminated the murderer.

So so sad.

Joseann Sat 13-Apr-24 15:42:35

Awful.
Thoughts go out to the victims and their families.

karmalady Sat 13-Apr-24 16:48:51

very brave people involved, including the ones who ran behind the woman police officer and the man with a pole on the escalator, confronting the knifeman. Seems as though many countries are being infiltrated by people who have very violent tendencies

Callistemon21 Sat 13-Apr-24 16:58:42

karmalady

very brave people involved, including the ones who ran behind the woman police officer and the man with a pole on the escalator, confronting the knifeman. Seems as though many countries are being infiltrated by people who have very violent tendencies

It has been stated that, as far as the police are aware, this was not terrorist-related.

Yes, thank goodness for those brave people who run towards danger to try to stop it.