Gransnet forums

News & politics

Gary Barlow and tax avoidance

(69 Posts)
JessM Mon 12-May-14 19:00:42

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27364089
Should Gary Barlow give back his award as well as the millions he owes in tax? Should Cameron be saying nice things about him. And will Cameron want Barlow to turn out to support his election campaign in the spring of next year?

Aka Fri 16-May-14 07:30:54

Sort of 1984 but 30 years on...

gillybob Fri 16-May-14 07:44:20

Yes they can JessM but as you say they have been found guilty by a court? HMRC make so many dreadful mistakes I fear they will take the money and it would be up to you to fight for it back ! We have been in difficulties with HMRC when a company went bust on us. We did owe the money but were genuinely unable to pay all in one go. My fear is that in that situation they would have simply took it out of the account pushing us to the top of our overdraft facility meaning we would have gone out of business overnight and everyone would have been put out of work all for the sake of accepting payment in 3 installments. I honestly can't believe what this country is coming to. I don't know why we bother employing people sometimes if I am honest.

HollyDaze Fri 16-May-14 14:21:17

I honestly can't believe what this country is coming to.

Depressing isn't it. They seem determined to make 'the little people' feel and behave as little as possible. Like they're muscle flexing or something. Maybe a new union would be a good thing but one that represents ordinary people trying to go about their ordinary lives without undue hassle from governments ...

I don't know why we bother employing people sometimes if I am honest.

That is how my husband and I felt in the end - not only unpaid tax collectors for the government, having to pay Employer's NI as well for each employee, it was like paying for the priviledge of it; we ended up selling the business as it just wasn't worth the hassle in the end.

papaoscar Fri 16-May-14 18:03:51

Us little people are easy targets for the big guns of government and when it comes to tax even more so. Until we all stand together and say NO MORE it will just go on.

rosequartz Fri 16-May-14 20:28:45

It's HMRC employees who are sometimes so incompetent - so they are really ordinary people like you and me surely? What makes them think they can be arrogant? Civil SERVANTS! There to serve the public.

durhamjen Sat 17-May-14 00:02:30

This is what you should be complaining about. George Osborne's new rules for corporation tax have allowed this obscenity.
www.theguardian.com/business/2014/may/15/george-osborne-tax-changes-alliance-boots

JessM Sat 17-May-14 08:02:53

Big companies have such an army of clever people working on minimising taxation at the best of times. They consistently out-gun mere politicians and HMRC employees. Throw a few enthusiastic policy wonks into the mix and it doesn't help.
The long term project of getting energy companies to subsidise and promote energy efficiency measures for customers has been a similar dance. Governments come up with an "obligation" energy companies a/ find ways to get the points in the easiest way they can (e.g. giving away lightbulbs). They lobby like mad to change policy - e.g. rebranding the obligation as "green taxes" and getting them slashed. Next year there is going to be very little money spent in this area are a consequence - so anyone who needs a new boiler, get on to it now.
I think Osborne should reduce corporation tax for smaller businesses because that is where the growth of the economy stems from.

gillybob Sat 17-May-14 08:13:23

Shocking reading Durhamjen but nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to big companies, corporations and wealthy individuals and their relationship with HMRC.

As papaoscar said we "little people" are just easy targets, we don't have the know how or the money to fight and have no choice but to just pay up and shut up. I agree we need a party or union ready to take them on on our behalf !

Come the revolution !

durhamjen Sat 17-May-14 12:16:28

www.weownit.org.uk

The start of the revolution, gillybob?

papaoscar Sat 17-May-14 18:34:58

I did not realise what has happened to the ownership of Boots the Chemists and to read, thanks to DJ, about the slippery way the new overseas owners have avoided paying UK tax, aided by the UK Chancellor is, frankly, quite disgraceful (though no doubt not illegal.) These sort of massive tax avoidance schemes, often organised and manipulated offshore by shadowy financial enterprises, are gradually threatening the very existence of conventional democratically-run countries, and in the past this sort of greed would indeed have incited the peasants to revolt and the workers to rebel. I sometimes really fear for the long-term future of ordinary folk against the dominance of these massive international corporations, especially when they are supported by the very governments who should be protecting the public interest. Good luck to the 'We own it' campaign to protect publicly-operated services. They will certainly need plenty of it!

rosequartz Sun 18-May-14 12:50:56

Let's face it, Governments don't run countries, they just meddle a bit in the lives of ordinary people. Big business runs the world.

HollyDaze Sun 18-May-14 22:13:30

^ I sometimes really fear for the long-term future of ordinary folk against the dominance of these massive international corporations^

You and I both. Governments are extremely adept at directing public attention where they want it to go aren't they - whilst they quietly sell the population to the highest bidder sad

tenacre3 Mon 19-May-14 07:02:03

I think Gary Barlow does more good than harm and that should be remembered, it always sounds like a witch hunt to me when a well known person appears to have done something that is deemed "not terribly british" I am sure his advisors arranged the plan anyway.

gillybob Mon 19-May-14 07:19:55

There are thousands do people who "do good" tenacre3 . They are mostly ordinary people, living ordinary lives. They are not millionaires and yet they give their time and money for nothing. Sadly no OBE for them. Yet there is one was they differ from Gary Barlow (and the likes) they have no choice but to pay their taxes in full ! I don't think this is a "witch hunt" at all. I think people are just fed up to the back teeth of "one rule for them and a different rule for the rest of us" . angry

papaoscar Mon 19-May-14 07:49:19

I think that the 'do-gooding' activities of Barlow et al are just a cover up for taking vast amounts of money from a gullible public and then wriggling away from their normal tax obligations. They just pretend to be patriots whilst lining their pockets. I do not admire them.

rosequartz Mon 19-May-14 09:48:53

I agree gillybob angry

durhamjen Mon 23-Jun-14 23:30:31

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2014/06/23/if-you-want-to-be-a-tax-judge-nows-the-time-to-apply/

Anyone fancy being a tax judge? Cannot look at the original article, as it's behind a paywall.

durhamjen Mon 28-Jul-14 13:48:36

www.actionaid.org.uk/campaign/show-me-the-money-a-tax-treasure-hunt

Anyone living in London and want to go on a tax hunt with ActionAid?