Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Organising affairs for future

(53 Posts)
Twopence Mon 25-Mar-24 06:39:53

I have recently been widowed and have been going through my husband's affairs, notifing various organisations and gathering documents to take to the solicitor this week. I will be making a new will and want to make things as straightforward as possible for my executors. We had no children and my closest relatives are cousin's children who live at a distance. The solicitor will probably need to have an substantial input when sorting out my affairs. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a book with various headings where details can be recorded to make things easier for all concerned, or a website where I could download and print headed pages to go in a loose leaf folder. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Calendargirl Mon 25-Mar-24 07:01:38

Age UK supply a book to record everything.

Bonnybanko Mon 25-Mar-24 07:05:24

twopence I’m in a similar position to you, after being widowed I’ve gone into overdrive putting my own affairs into order. I’ve labelled them household information, personal information and holiday information each put into plastic folders for my offspring to sort out when I’m gone.it’ll make things so easy for those I leave behind

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 25-Mar-24 07:19:40

I’ve recently typed up some pages with all our Pension Info on them. Various Insurances and their policy numbers. Along with their contact numbers and a photocopy of the latest letters from the various companies which states the values of the policies.
How to access our online bank accounts, again with the various passwords and PIN numbers.
Other details such as the boiler engineers telephone numbers and other household information.
I’ve printed it off and put it into a folder and I’ve told the family where I’ve put it along with our wills and a photocopy of the relevant pages of our Passports.
I have a separate file for the cars, insurances, MoT dates etc.
To gather the information I went to all the paperwork I keep in the filing cabinet, cross referenced it with monthly bank statements, where the payments come out, just to make sure nothing was forgotten.

Primrose53 Mon 25-Mar-24 09:30:53

Oopsadaisy1

I’ve recently typed up some pages with all our Pension Info on them. Various Insurances and their policy numbers. Along with their contact numbers and a photocopy of the latest letters from the various companies which states the values of the policies.
How to access our online bank accounts, again with the various passwords and PIN numbers.
Other details such as the boiler engineers telephone numbers and other household information.
I’ve printed it off and put it into a folder and I’ve told the family where I’ve put it along with our wills and a photocopy of the relevant pages of our Passports.
To gather the information I went to all the paperwork I keep in the filing cabinet, cross referenced it with monthly bank statements, where the payments come out, just to make sure nothing was forgotten.

Gosh, I am impressed! I should do that to be honest.👍

fancythat Mon 25-Mar-24 09:35:16

I know someone who did all the above, for much the same reasons.

When their only son came to it all, he discovered there were no deeds to the house!
I dont think he ever located them. In any solicitor's office, bank or anywhere.

Not sure that is such a problem nowadays, with things being more online?

Urmstongran Mon 25-Mar-24 09:43:17

I understand Deeds are kept on line with the Land Registry?

welbeck Mon 25-Mar-24 09:52:22

i've no idea about deeds.
solicitor did what was necessary and supplied copy of title from land registry.
if you can prove that you have the right to inherit from the person named on the deeds/at land registry, with suitable ID, then it is quite simple for solicitor to transfer.
that's my user experience anyway.
GSM will explain properly.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 25-Mar-24 09:59:20

Yes, the title to most properties in England and Wales is registered at the Land Registry and you can get a copy of your title online. If you inherit a property a document called an Assent is signed by the executors and sent to the Land Registry together with the appropriate fee and they will then update the title to show you as the owner.

welbeck Mon 25-Mar-24 10:05:55

thank you GSM.
you never let us down.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 25-Mar-24 10:08:05

😊

pably15 Mon 25-Mar-24 10:10:00

our wills,insurance documents, copies of bank accounts, lawyer who has title deeds,are all kept in a box, and my family have been told where they are. from applying to buy our council house, and where we got the mortgage, I have kept all the documents..

Norah Mon 25-Mar-24 10:16:50

welbeck

thank you GSM.
you never let us down.

Indeed.

GSM never lets us down, informed, even handed, fair, logical.

Twopence Mon 25-Mar-24 10:25:05

Thank you all for your useful replies. I'm going to be busy. Will investigate the Age Concern book.

Norah Mon 25-Mar-24 10:25:34

I've kept everything, all papers are in order. Solicitor has her copies, as does my much younger brother. Yearly I accomplish updated info folders, each of our children have a current copy (I take old copies back/destroy).

henetha Mon 25-Mar-24 10:37:31

I bought a pretty pink box file a few years ago and it contains everything necessary to know after my death And a note book in which I have written lots of information.
It needs updating really. I must do this soon. Just in case.

Kateykrunch Mon 25-Mar-24 10:38:07

People often mention that they have left a list of account numbers and PIN numbers, but unless it is a joint account, surely no-one can access someones account after they have died, wouldn't that be fraud?

Kateykrunch Mon 25-Mar-24 10:40:24

Deeds…….our Mortgage provider lets you keep £125 outstanding on your mortgage account and the deeds are kept in their deed store (obviously may be electronic or paper).

OldFrill Mon 25-Mar-24 10:41:04

Here is the link to the Age UK book. You can phone for a free copy or download/print it off.
www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/end-of-life-planning/lifebook/

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 25-Mar-24 10:50:05

Kateykrunch

People often mention that they have left a list of account numbers and PIN numbers, but unless it is a joint account, surely no-one can access someones account after they have died, wouldn't that be fraud?

Some banks are willing to release limited amounts on production of a death certificate, pending a grant of probable/letters of administration,

Witzend Mon 25-Mar-24 11:03:56

Primrose53

Oopsadaisy1

Gosh, I am impressed! I should do that to be honest.👍

I’m impressed,,too!
We have told dds roughly where things are (in case of us both dying in a car or plane crash) but really should assemble a proper file.
My mother put all her info in an old briefcase, which was easy to find once needed - not after she died, but once dementia had rendered her incapable of managing anything. Luckily there was a P of A in place.

choughdancer Mon 25-Mar-24 11:45:41

OldFrill

Here is the link to the Age UK book. You can phone for a free copy or download/print it off.
www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/end-of-life-planning/lifebook/

This book was invaluable to us after Mum died. We think she may have thrown away many documents including her birth certificate and prepaid funeral arrangements. Fortunately she had put down information about the latter, who were able to find her funeral wishes from her name and birth date.

Do bear in mind with bank accounts that you need an ORIGINAL of the death certificate which can be bought when the certificate is issued. If you buy it later it is much more expensive.

I learned so much from my lovely Mum's death, and it made me think and talk about my death with my daughters.

biglouis Mon 25-Mar-24 11:59:23

All of mine is neatly printed in a folder which I shall leave close beside me when I make the decision to end my life.

welbeck Mon 25-Mar-24 15:32:23

yes, purchase many more copies of the death cert when registering, than you think you will need.
much easier than trying to get certified copies later.
you always need more than you imagine.

Floradora9 Mon 25-Mar-24 21:23:31

Kateykrunch

The bank would be after you if you took out money from a deceased person's account . The account should have been closed anyway as soon as the bank was informed of the death. Best not to leave pin numbers at all as they might get into the wrong hands. If they did you would not have any chance of recovering the money as you had provided the PIN number to anyone .