Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Waspi

(31 Posts)
Momac55 Tue 27-Feb-24 11:57:23

Hi I was born in 1955 so I am in the Waspi cohort. I paid the married women’s stamp for most of my working life does that mean I am not entitled to any compensation, I still had to wait until 66 to get my pittance of a pension

Theexwife Tue 27-Feb-24 12:58:04

The Bills second reading is not until April 19th and may not be passed so at the moment nobody is getting anything.

Momac55 Tue 27-Feb-24 14:14:03

I realise that I’m asking for an opinion if compensation is agreed am i likely to be eligible.
If you don’t know just say you don’t know there’s no need to sarcastic

Greyisnotmycolour Tue 27-Feb-24 14:18:27

Er, I don't know if you were so intentionally rude to The ex-wife but her reply is purely factual, definitely no sarcasm there. I think you owe her an apology.

kazz94 Tue 27-Feb-24 14:27:32

I am 60 and in my younger days assumed I’d retire at 60. I have already paid in enough NI for a full state pension and so don’t understand why I still have to wait another 7 years. With the way I feel I won’t make it til then anyway.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 27-Feb-24 14:46:52

I agree Grey. Totally uncalled for.

Mel1967 Tue 27-Feb-24 14:52:36

I’m 57 and have paid enough contributions for a full State Pension when I retire.
So my questions are these:
Why can’t I retire now?
Why won’t I get a larger State Pension when I retire - as I’m still contributing?

Marydoll Tue 27-Feb-24 15:05:51

It might be worth reading this Waspi thread, which is already running, OP.

None of know what and if we will get anything.
No-one is being sarcastic.

www.gransnet.com/forums/legal_and_money/1332731-WASPIs-Ten-Thousand-payment

Joseann Tue 27-Feb-24 15:32:54

Next month, and counting, I'm just going to take what I'm given. And run with it! Drinks on me!
I don't think anyone knows who will benefit, if anyone.

TinSoldier Tue 27-Feb-24 15:36:32

Mel1967

I’m 57 and have paid enough contributions for a full State Pension when I retire.
Why can’t I retire now?
Why won’t I get a larger State Pension when I retire - as I’m still contributing?

You can retire whenever you like but you won’t receive your state pension until you reach your state pension age.

Where those extra years can help is to “burn off” any deductions from pre 6 April 2016 state pension entitlement if you were contracted out of SERPS or the Second State Pension.

Read this to learn how state pension is calculated for people whose contribution record straddles 6 April 2016:

www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/pensions-and-retirement/state-pension/how-does-the-state-pension-work-and-how-much-might-you-get

And this about burning off.

www.lcp.com/media-centre/2022/02/why-is-money-being-deducted-from-my-state-pension-new-lcp-guide-answers-the-most-commonly-asked-question-in-pensions

Although contracting out was abolished for salary-related pensions in April 2016, past contracting out is still reflected in calculations for the new state pension; but those who have years of contributions from 2016/17 onwards can gradually ‘burn off’ the deductions for past contracting out; eventually they can built up a full new flat rate pension in addition to their contracted out pension. But in the early years of the new scheme, deductions for past contracting out can still leave them short of the full flat rate, even if they have 35 or more years of NI contributions.

Mel1967 Tue 27-Feb-24 17:31:07

TinSoldier

Mel1967

Why can’t I retire now?

You can retire whenever you like but you won’t receive your state pension until you reach your state pension age.

Where those extra years can help is to “burn off” any deductions from pre 6 April 2016 state pension entitlement if you were contracted out of SERPS or the Second State Pension.

Read this to learn how state pension is calculated for people whose contribution record straddles 6 April 2016:

www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/pensions-and-retirement/state-pension/how-does-the-state-pension-work-and-how-much-might-you-get

www.lcp.com/media-centre/2022/02/why-is-money-being-deducted-from-my-state-pension-new-lcp-guide-answers-the-most-commonly-asked-question-in-pensions

^Although contracting out was abolished for salary-related pensions in April 2016, past contracting out is still reflected in calculations for the new state pension; but those who have years of contributions from 2016/17 onwards can gradually ‘burn off’ the deductions for past contracting out; eventually they can built up a full new flat rate pension in addition to their contracted out pension. But in the early years of the new scheme, deductions for past contracting out can still leave them short of the full flat rate, even if they have 35 or more years of NI contributions.^

Many thanks.
I’ve just checked my state pension forecast via government gateway and I currently have 40 full years of tax contributions - my state pension forecast is for the full amount which is currently £203.85 per week. My forecast cannot be improved.

Bea65 Tue 27-Feb-24 17:55:23

Marydoll

It might be worth reading this Waspi thread, which is already running, OP.

None of know what and if we will get anything.
No-one is being sarcastic.

www.gransnet.com/forums/legal_and_money/1332731-WASPIs-Ten-Thousand-payment
Thanks Marydoll was just about to let Op know smile

Casdon Tue 27-Feb-24 18:06:08

Mel1967

TinSoldier

Mel1967

Why can’t I retire now?

^Although contracting out was abolished for salary-related pensions in April 2016, past contracting out is still reflected in calculations for the new state pension; but those who have years of contributions from 2016/17 onwards can gradually ‘burn off’ the deductions for past contracting out; eventually they can built up a full new flat rate pension in addition to their contracted out pension. But in the early years of the new scheme, deductions for past contracting out can still leave them short of the full flat rate, even if they have 35 or more years of NI contributions.^

Many thanks.
I’ve just checked my state pension forecast via government gateway and I currently have 40 full years of tax contributions - my state pension forecast is for the full amount which is currently £203.85 per week. My forecast cannot be improved.

You’re in the same position as many of us who worked until 66 Mell1967, still expected to contribute when you have done more than the number of qualifying years - logically, unless they have periods of not working most people will contribute 45 years at least to the system in future. We’re living longer on average, and that is what is required of us.

Sandytoes Wed 28-Feb-24 10:47:43

kazz94

I am 60 and in my younger days assumed I’d retire at 60. I have already paid in enough NI for a full state pension and so don’t understand why I still have to wait another 7 years. With the way I feel I won’t make it til then anyway.

Although you need a set number of qualifying years for a full SP you are paying into government funds and not an individual pension pot . As with other forms of taxation some people will pay more in and receive the same benefit . Higher earners may pay more in NI contributions in their working lifetime than those just paying over the threshold , but will still get the same SP .

Harris27 Wed 28-Feb-24 11:05:08

Still working in childcare looking after 3/4 year olds and I’m 64. Only 22 months to go to retirement! Not counting though!

Pantglas2 Thu 21-Mar-24 10:32:11

Breaking news is that the Ombudsman thinks we are owed compensation…

Cadenza123 Thu 21-Mar-24 10:33:39

www.theguardian.com/money/2024/mar/21/thousands-of-uk-women-owed-pension-payout-after-ombudsmans-waspi-ruling?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Cadenza123 Thu 21-Mar-24 10:35:01

Looks like the report is suggesting 1 - 3K as opposed to the £10k that was being asked for. I doubt that the government will cough up though.

Casdon Thu 21-Mar-24 10:50:07

I think the government will cough up, it could well become an election issue otherwise.

bikergran Thu 21-Mar-24 16:49:56

Well by time tax has been taken out ( as I presume it will have been taxed if you are still working ) which I am at 68.

They may be enough for a cruise down the river Ribble hmm like others I won't hold my breath.

Poppyred Thu 21-Mar-24 16:57:14

Momac55

Hi I was born in 1955 so I am in the Waspi cohort. I paid the married women’s stamp for most of my working life does that mean I am not entitled to any compensation, I still had to wait until 66 to get my pittance of a pension

If you were born in 1955 you are 68 and already receiving your state pension??

Shinamae Thu 21-Mar-24 17:08:28

I just found this
I’m not even sure if I am one of these women I didn’t get my state pension until I was 63, I was born in 1953?

Cadenza123 Thu 21-Mar-24 17:54:07

DOB of women affected seems to be between 6 Apr 1950 to 5 Apr 1960.

growstuff Thu 21-Mar-24 18:00:43

Shinamae

I just found this
I’m not even sure if I am one of these women I didn’t get my state pension until I was 63, I was born in 1953?

Yes, you are in the group affected. However, as there is no promise of actual compensation yet (or how much), I wouldn't be booking a luxury cruise just yet.

Shinamae Thu 21-Mar-24 18:12:31

growstuff

Shinamae

I just found this

Yes, you are in the group affected. However, as there is no promise of actual compensation yet (or how much), I wouldn't be booking a luxury cruise just yet.

😂 I definitely won’t be doing that!