Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Now we're warned that prices will rise because......

(45 Posts)
mae13 Wed 24-Jan-24 05:18:28

.......of the Red Sea conflict. Big business always seems to grab any excuse (note that I use the word Excuse as opposed to Reason) to jack prices ever upwards.
We've had Coronavirus, Brexit, the war in Ukraine, the Israel/Gaza troubles, Liz Truss's reckless car-crash budget, successive Prime Ministers and Chancellors making one dubious decision after another AND we can throw in greedflation combined with shrinkflation.
The Capitalism model is clearly not working......except for the likes of multi-millionaire Prime Ministers,I suppose.

Aveline Wed 24-Jan-24 07:46:49

If goods can't get past the Red sea then container ships have to go a longer way round hence increased costs for all concerned.

Galaxy Wed 24-Jan-24 07:53:36

What model would you suggest other than capitalism.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 24-Jan-24 08:44:45

Further price rises at the end of January - a Brexit (definitely not working) bonus.

Louella12 Wed 24-Jan-24 08:49:17

I have friends and relatives all over Europe, USA and Canada.

Their comments about the cost of living mirror ours.

They can't blame Brexit though

GrannyGravy13 Wed 24-Jan-24 09:14:27

Whitewavemark2

Further price rises at the end of January - a Brexit (definitely not working) bonus.

Denmark, Spain, Sweden, Cyprus & Germany, Australia and USA where we have friends and/or family are remarking on price rises.

The journey round The Cape instead of through the Suez Canal will add 1 million $ extra in fuel per vessel.

Containers will have to pay between $325 and $500 per 20 foot container.

These extra costs will inevitably be passed on to the end user

petra Wed 24-Jan-24 09:26:28

mae13
Do you realise it will take another 4/5 weeks on the journey time.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 24-Jan-24 09:47:07

Obviously she has no idea. And has yet to suggest an alternative to capitalism.

Freya5 Wed 24-Jan-24 10:30:58

Galaxy

Communism at a guess. That doesn't work either, there are always those at the top of the pile with their snouts in the trough. Putin and Xi Jinping as examples.

henetha Wed 24-Jan-24 10:47:07

I read that it's an extra 9,000 miles around the south Africa route. So it seems that it is a genuine reason this time for the inevitable price rises. Of course, some will jump on the band wagon and increase prices above what is necessary.

Nicenanny3 Wed 24-Jan-24 11:07:18

Nothing to do with Brexit. I'm in Spain at the moment and I was here last year all the prices in the supermarkets have gone up and I would say prices for food about the same as UK the only thing cheaper is alcohol, some beer being cheaper than milk 🙁

Whitewavemark2 Wed 24-Jan-24 11:09:56

On 29 August 2023, the UK Government published the final version of its Border Target Operating Model (TOM) which sets out its new model for importing goods to the UK from inside and outside the EU, including Ireland. The new rules will be introduced in phases starting 31 January 2024.

These will mean gradually more and more checks with more and more paperwork/bureaucracy and delay for business. The impact will inevitably greater cost to business which if not absorbed will mean higher prices for the consumer.

This on top of the world wide increase in the cost of living we are at present experiencing.

Starmer would do well to consider closer working with the EU, particularly if Trump gets in.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 24-Jan-24 11:11:24

Freya5

Galaxy

Communism at a guess. That doesn't work either, there are always those at the top of the pile with their snouts in the trough. Putin and Xi Jinping as examples.

How about a mixed economy?

PuddyCat Wed 24-Jan-24 11:30:27

They can't blame Brexit though

Well then they need to try harder! Wars in Ukraine affecting import of grain, vegetable oils and fat? Nope; it's brexit! Conflict in Israel affecting import of fruits and medicines? Nope, it's brexit! Conflict in the Red Sea affecting global export of oil, gas, food, computer components and raw metals? Nope, that's brexit too!
Brexit was a REALLY bad idea for the UK but surely people aren't so politically ignorant of the impact on how war and conflict affects global markets? So depressing to see such a basic lack of knowledge.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 24-Jan-24 11:49:32

We have seen plenty of evidence that yes, many are very ignorant of the many external factors which lead to increased prices. They blame Brexit and/or the government for things totally unconnected to the former or controllable by the latter. I agree, it is very depressing.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 24-Jan-24 11:57:58

PuddyCat

^They can't blame Brexit though^

Well then they need to try harder! Wars in Ukraine affecting import of grain, vegetable oils and fat? Nope; it's brexit! Conflict in Israel affecting import of fruits and medicines? Nope, it's brexit! Conflict in the Red Sea affecting global export of oil, gas, food, computer components and raw metals? Nope, that's brexit too!
Brexit was a REALLY bad idea for the UK but surely people aren't so politically ignorant of the impact on how war and conflict affects global markets? So depressing to see such a basic lack of knowledge.

I absolutely recognise the impact of global events and disasters but my argument is that the U.K. has to deal with global impact on top of the negative impact of Brexit.

To my mind it is common sense to consider closer working with the EU, particularly if Trump becomes President, with his threat to leave NATO, and cease to support Ukraine, and god knows what will happen to Palestine. Europe will need to work together in order to defend both its economies and borders from the likes of Putin and Trump, let alone China and India.

mae13 Sun 28-Jan-24 10:40:14

Back to the barter system, my dear, a strategy invented before money and pernicious greed for the stuff. And I'd demolish the Curse of Credit Cards.

petra Sun 28-Jan-24 10:48:32

PuddyCat

^They can't blame Brexit though^

I’m afraid they are 🤷‍♀️

CarS Sun 28-Jan-24 11:36:47

I agree. The World is in turmoil all round. Army conscription idea tested at the moment. Hold onto your hats..............

Grantanow Sun 28-Jan-24 11:51:07

It's obvious that there are several causes of higher prices in the UK but Brexit supporters tend to ignore Brexit and the incompetent 'getting Brexit done' by Johnson and Frost. That chicken will come home to roost at the GE.

Anniel Sun 28-Jan-24 11:59:48

Well Caribbean countries cannot blame Brexit ( well I suppose we do get some UK items here) but mainly our imported food ana many other goods come from USA. Prices have risen dramatically and life is tough for many local people. Add3d to the fact that we are getting lots of rain in the tourist season and this may affect the economy. I know Australia has the same problem as do European countruex It is a whole raft of reasons and it is naive to blame Brexit for our woes.

orly Sun 28-Jan-24 12:11:36

mae13

Back to the barter system, my dear, a strategy invented before money and pernicious greed for the stuff. And I'd demolish the Curse of Credit Cards.

Have you got change of a ferret?

semperfidelis Sun 28-Jan-24 12:12:20

Well said to those who see the damage that Brexit has caused. Why, in this dangerous world, did we turn our backs on our closest friends and allies?

Nannapat1 Sun 28-Jan-24 12:19:02

I don't see what the Red Sea conflict has to do with Brexit!

spabbygirl Sun 28-Jan-24 13:25:15

Brexit will increase prices from next week because there are going to be more border checks for goods imported from the EU, we were lied to by the Brexit proponents and I hope they get the kicking they deserve at the next election